How to remove frozen cylinder pin?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Buffalochip, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

Try some wintergreen. Go to your local dentist and beg for it. Soak it overnight and then try to remove the pin. I have used this for years to loosen up stuck or frozen items. Works about 60% of the tiime.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. pulltabbob

pulltabbob New Member

double entry
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

When using heat don't go higher than 400 degrees the metalurgy of the steel starts to change at 400 degrees.

Blackpowder is very corrosive so its pretty much rusted stuck. I would try the PB blaster and soak it for aweek everyday. Then try to turn it or move it in and out till it frees up if you can. I have a lot of faith in using pb balster its bailed me out and saved my butt many times before. Also i'm not sure if they offer anything in the blackpowder line of products to fight and free up the parts from the corrosive blackpowder they may offer something special for it. You may want to look at www.brownells.com or at www.midawyusa.com You can also do asearch for; "blackpowder solvent rust free" alot of info comes up that may save you time too.

When the blackpowder guns are shot they should be cleaned really good so no corrosion will happen. I've seen rust happen really bad on these guns. Bill

Once you get it ready to reassemble put a tad of anti seeze on all the metal to metal moving parts so this won't happen again in the future.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The trigger pin on the BHP is held in by a spring sitting in a groove. It usually taps out, but sometimes the groove is deep and you have to actuallyl lift the spring out of the groove to free the pin.

Jim
  5. sliclee

sliclee New Member

When you heat a entire gun, all parts get hot,ergo all parts expand.
    Dry off the WD 40, it doesnt penetrate, liquid wrench at least let it sit for a day or 2 try using something that has light vibrations to allow penetration, same on the screw and spring. If not loose, remove hammer, lightly tap end of cyl pin with a brass punch not hard metal.
    Also LR inside cyl pin housing of frame
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011