How to replace a part on a TOKAREV?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by AdamMO, Feb 16, 2011.

1. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

I have a Romanian Tokarev TTC, the firing pin retainer pin snapped in half. I bought 2 news ones and was told there is a special way to install the new ones. Can anyone tell me how to do this or your experience with it? THank you for your time.
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

If you install it so that the slot is horizontal it might help prevent breakage. My experience with old Russian TT 33's is that many well used examples had solid retaining pins tightly fitted.
  3. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

Cool
    I will remember that when installing. I just am curious as to what direction I need to install it. Meaning:which side of the gun does the slot need to be on.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If it is like the Russian, that is a split pin; it has to be pushed out by a special "V" cut tool that will squeeze the ends together. It is inserted from the left and pushed out from the right.

I say "pushed" rather than driven, as it is a fairly loose fit, held by the ends of the spring arms, not friction. Attempting to drive it out using a conventional punch will either break the pin or damage the slide.

Jim
  5. AdamMO

AdamMO New Member

Thank you,
    Yes the old one is already broken out, that is why I am replacing it. When you insert in from the "left", is that the side of the gun that has the controls on it, like the safety and mag release, or do I insert the pin on the side when the spent casings eject?

Thanks again
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

When you point the gun at the target, which is the left side? Yes, the side the controls are on.

(I am not sure it makes any difference, but mine are in that way, and all the pictures show the pin going in from the left.)

Jim
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

1+ Left to right