how to sell brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JasonS, May 28, 2012.

1. JasonS

JasonS New Member

When Im out on the range, lots of guys dont pick up brass but Im starting to grab lots of it, can I bag up all this 223 stuff and sell it someplace online or just to people I meet who reload?
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

get permission , picking up brass may be a bust if it wasn't yours

but if they allow it sort it all good reloading stuff bag up into 50 or 100 .22 just sell for scrap along with split or bulging cases..

a few bucks here and a few there saves ya a heap on reloading bits and bobs
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. JasonS

JasonS New Member

oh I ask the guys first.
  4. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

We do have a buy/sell/trade forum right here
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep and if you are consistent in your offerings and selling at a good price it wont be long before you wont be able to keep up with demand.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and if you want top price clean, trim, size the brass to spec and charge a premium ( just less than store bought )
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Jacks right, but also make sure you do offer both cleaned brass and dirty range pick ups. Some folks, like myself are anal retentive in the way their brass is processed and prefer to do it themselves. ;)
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Jason you have to pay more attention than I did this week end. Someone had been firing their AR at my range and had picked up their brass and dumped in the trash can. Ooooo, looky here some free brass. I was not familiar with the head stamp and figured it had crimped primers so I wiped one off and lubed it and put it in the sizing die to see how bad the primer pockets were.:eek::eek::eek: Brain not engaged, BERDAN PRIMER, bent pin.:banghead::banghead::banghead: So don't do as I did and check to see just what you picked up.
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Brass = Gold in my handbook.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

check everything well if your gonna sell it clean or as found ..

folks will buy 3000 cases off you and happily forget it too for one cracked case ...

if in doubt , throw it out ...

plain brass brings a goodly buck scrap , a 1/2 blue chem barrel ( maybe 45 gal?) of .22 and others we could not use at the range brought in $900 something BUCKS!!!

not a bad chunk of change for anyone , but thats 50 folks shooting often and me saying its ok i'll clean it up ..
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

makes it worth your while to spend that extra 15 minutes raking after the range sessions eh?
  12. JasonS

JasonS New Member

yeah I dont want to be jackin everyones stuff so I ask first, Im not tryin to make a killing just thought why be lazy if a n oppurtunity is right in front of my face.

I shoot 8mm,762x39,45,12gauge and 762x54r.

I dont know much about 223 rounds so I will have to learn a bit about the casings and what I would toss out. Just for an example, how much would one spend on a say 100 casings?

Like I say, not tryin to kill it, just thought it could make up for a little gas money now and then.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

When I go to the range, if no one is there, I pick up every piece of reloadable brass I see. I have found hundreds of 223 in trash cans and, an believe me, I dig it out.
  14. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Going price looks to be around $40 for 500 pieces. For cleaned and deprimed
  15. JasonS

JasonS New Member

what about 500 just pick ups. All natural lol.
  16. JasonS

JasonS New Member

nice, I bet you dont have pictures of that!

The trash cans here were full of soda and bees lol.

Actuly the guy next to me got a bee in his mouth from his soda can lmao, didnt sting him.
  17. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'd say half it for au natural
  18. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The local indoor range sells the fired range brass for 10 bucks a hundred. They are one of those ranges that doesnt allow reloads or steel or aluminum. you have to check in your ammo with your gun or buy/rent thiers. I never shoot there having my own range but 10 bucks a hundred is cheap when the same hundred costs me 20 or 25 at cabelas new in package, so I do buy brass from them, as well as powder and primers.

And pistol brass doesnt wear out like rifle brass does. Ive got .45ACP that ive had for nearly 10 years thats still getting reloaded and shot.
  19. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

It is shiny and gold-like in color. :)
  20. medalguy

medalguy Member

I do a lot of watching and looking for good brass prices, and the best I've found lately is about $5 per 100 for .223, but I do see lots of it selling/being offered for $8 - $10 per 100.

I personally don't ever buy polished brass. It's just too easy to hide all kinds of problems when you polish brass. Buying uncleaned brass allows me to see exactly what the brass really looks like. You can take the absolutely worst, darkened, filthy range pickup brass that's been in the dirt for a year and tumble it in steel pins, and have it come out looking like brand new factory brass. But you really know, deep down inside, that brass was very dirty to start with, and I don't want to spend top dollar on that kind of brass.

I agree, offer it at a reasonable price, and you'll sell lots of it. Hey, go ahead and pick up the Berdan primed brass too, and toss it in a scrap bucket. It's worth about $2 a pound as scrap, and believe me, that can add up quickly.