How to start?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by AndrewSM, Aug 23, 2009.

1. AndrewSM

AndrewSM New Member

Hey I have no experience beyond beebee gun shooting but wanted to get into hunting. A couple of buddies hunt every weekend and it interested me. They hunt water fowl in Virginia. How do I get started? Any advice?
  2. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

We are always on the lookout for fresh meat.....I mean new victims.....I mean newbies to help. One thing you will find no shortage of here is advice. Glocknut, give the man some advice!
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

You put your left foot in you pull your left foot out. You put your right foot in and pull your right foot out. You turn yourself around and you shake it all about. :D:D:D:D

Excuse me i was rudely interupted by Ron 358 with a email. Thanks Ron for the input.

WELCOME ANDREW S&M:D:D:D:D

You are in luck. I am sick and running a fever so i have nothing better to do than to guide you and sneeze.

First "your gona need a bigger boat" Do you remember what movie that was from?

Second. What about your buddies you already have? What about bringing up the subject with them? Tell them that you want to shoot a shotgun? Once you have done so you can graduate to shooting skeet. If you have the heart to kill skeet you should do just fine. I don't find skeet all that tasty but i bet 358 has a good recipe for them. :D

Did i tell you that i am gona pull a Glocknut here tonight. Some of my post will not be on the more intellegent side of things. Thanks to the nyquil. Oh my there is a hot chick on the history channel driving a ice truck.
  4. AndrewSM

AndrewSM New Member

Quote is from Jaws. I haven't really talked to them about what they shoot. I figured I would do some research here so I have some background information.

Also, yes, that chick on Ice Road Truckers is smokin hot.
  5. cycloneman

What kind of hunting do you want to do? Bird, rabbit, big game?
  6. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Water fowl in Virgina? :D
  7. AndrewSM

AndrewSM New Member

Yes, northern Virginia
  8. AndrewSM

AndrewSM New Member

Well my friends hunt water fowl, I would eventually want to move onto deer and bigger animals. I see alot about a Rueger 10/22. Is that a good gun for what I want to do?
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

DPG...i have to idea what to tell him. I haven't ever gone hunting myself...

mike
    gn
  10. cycloneman

Well i don't know a thing about water foul. I hunt deer and antelop. I would start by catching some of the hunting programs on cable in that area.
  11. AndrewSM

AndrewSM New Member

Well for any beginner, what would be a good starting point?
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Ya need a shotgun, Talk to your friends, see if ya
    can tag along to the range with em. Know your gun laws.
    Check out a couple of books at your locale library.
    Know your prey.
  13. cycloneman

a 10/22 is ok for hunting squarl or rabbit. cant spell squarl cause of the nyquill. i can't spell anyway. To get into bird hunting you will need a shotgun. You can buy a single shot, dubble barrel, pump or autoloader. I suggest one that shoots 3" shells. In fact today you might be able to get one that shoots 3 1/2" shells. To waterfoul hunt you will have to use steel shot or something other than lead shot. My suggestion is to go to a local sporting goods shop and check out what they have. Be honest with the seller and he will guide you into what he has for the price you will want to spend. You will have to get information on what type of hunting gear, clothing you will need. I am not one to guide you in that direction since you live so far north.

Very important, you should get in contact with local wildlife and fisheries and take their hunter safety course ASAP.
  14. kutaho

kutaho New Member

++1 Hunters safety.
    can't believe i missed that.:eek:
  15. AndrewSM

AndrewSM New Member

Thanks for the info and advice guys.