How to start?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by AndrewSM, Aug 23, 2009.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1 I would like to add that he needs to get a copy of his states hunting and fishing regulations, and study it.
  2. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Go with the friends until you learn the ropes. They should also be able to get you up to speed on the regulations in your area, what classes you need, etc. Also, you need to get them to take you to the skeet range to learn how to shoot before you hit the marsh. they probably won't mind having an excuse to go shooting in the offseason. I am sure it is possible to learn hunting on your own, but it will certainly be difficult. The best way by far is to go with friends until you are comfortable enough to go out on your own. There are a lot of skills to be learned to make you both safe and successful. Luckily, hunting is one of the few sports where practice is almost as much fun as the real thing.
  3. dianalv

dianalv New Member

AndrewSM, the first thing you need to do is learn to shoot and take a hunter safety course. Check into local shotgun ranges/clubs, and find one that has trap, skeet and sporting clays. Start with trap, then work your way up to sporting clays. Sporting clays most closely simulate hunting. Five stand is also good if they have it.

Take some lessons. It will be money well spent, and usually they are not that expensive. You can rent guns from the range so you can try a variety of shotguns to see what you like. Make sure you tell everyone that your goal is to hunt, because sporting guns are different than trap or skeet guns. In the process of all this, you will likely meet a lot of nice people only too happy to help you out. Don't be macho and pretend you know every thing. If you don't know, ask. They will respect that and you'll get more help. Be appreciative and laugh at your mistakes and they will fall over themselves to help you out. Get an attitude, or act like you know what you're doing when you don't, and they will shut you out.

Call your local Fish and Game office and see when their next Hunter Safety course is taught. Sign up and take it. It's now a requirement in most states, if not all of them. Get a water fowl/game bird identification book and study it. Shooting the wrong bird can be pretty serious

Once you've got a Hunter Safety certificate, a hunting license, have read the regulations all the way through, and have some proficiency with a shotgun, then get your buddies to take you out with them. You can also find a rifle/handgun range and learn to shoot a rifle. Start with a .22. A Ruger 10/.22 is alright, but I'd see if I could find a bolt action .22 first. Safer, and more like what you'll be hunting with.

358 Winchester has it right. Consider the cost of what you are getting into and the amount of money you'll need to get outfitted with the basics. Hunting is not a cheap sport! If you enjoy being wet, cold, exhausted and broke, step right up and sign on the dotted line!