how to stop bullet corrosion???

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Apr 2, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

howdy yall.

i bought a box of 38 special jacketed hollow points. okay... they have been stored in an MTM box for what looks like a while. and they look to be in good condition other than the exposed lead tip is turning white with corrosion. i have seen other lead bullets do this. and was wondering of anyone had a solution to how i could stop the already existing corrosion. any tips on keeping it from happening in the future?

~john
  2. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Whenever disimilar metals are in contact there is a galvanic cell. One metal is reduced and gains electrons the other is oxidized and loses electrons. The only way to keep the metals you want safe is to offer a sacrificial metal to the process. Maybe if you kept them in contact with a zinc sheet? The process can be slowed by shielding them from air. Maybe car wax?

BTW what's the humidity where they were stored? (just curious)
  3. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    Ditto on the car wax. I have used a lite amount or carnuba to clean and seal some old ones of mine that I picked up many years ago as vintage "to show" ammo and not to shoot up. I just checked a couple of the boxes I have had stored away for a couple of years and they are still pretty since I touched them up .
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

id just shoot em and load new ones. besides ammo isnt meant to be stored away for decades. its meant to enjoy shooting targets, animals, cans, bottles, ant beds, bee hives, weeds, old cars, etc. ;)
  5. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

What are you a Rocket Surgeon or something ?:D;)

I mean do know what that sounds like to an average bubba like me ?:confused:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

this is what i was thinking. also parts of this thread should make it to the "you know your a gun nut thread" like when you wax your bullets
  7. Big_Guns

Big_Guns New Member

Wax my bullets? Heck I don't even wax my cars!
  8. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I would think that an oil would be easier to deal with. Just dip them in vegetable oil or something an let them run clean. Less work. Or better yet. Don't worry about it. The white stuff isn't going to affect anything to any degree that you'll ever notice anyway.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

well i did go ahead and shoot up the ammo that was in question. the reason that i wanted to save it was because it was an old box of IMI 38special+p and i have plenty of 38's to shoot. but since it was corroded i went ahead and shot it. it had been stored in an MTM case for a while, and it seems like anything that is stored in one of them plastic cases corrodes because i have kept some 22 bullets in one for only a few months and they turned white.