How to store revolver for accessibility?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by dwgunfan, Jan 5, 2008.

1. dwgunfan

dwgunfan New Member

Hi, I'm a newcomer to the forum, but have been scanning the various threads for sometime. I've been very impressed with the knowledge and experience shown on this forum, and figured it was time to join.

I have a Dan Wesson .357 Mag that I want to have ready for home defense, but am not sure how to store it and still have it ready at hand. Do you rest the hammer on an empty cylinder, or is it OK to store fully stocked? BTW, I don't know the year of production on this gun, as I inherited it from a friend's estate, and therefore don't know if it has a hammer block on it or not. Any ways to tell? Any suggestions would be helpful. I probably should mention that, although I have had experience with weapons via upbringing and military, I am not all that knowledgeable or experienced; truly a beginner. I am going to attend a basic handgun class very soon before I load the gun.

Again, glad to be a part of this community, and thanks for having me aboard!
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I assume this is a double-action Revolver. IE: pull the trigger..hammer comes back & falls, or cock the hammer back & pull the trigger to make it fall. If this is the case, then I would store the gun fully loaded w/ the hammer down. I have two finger combo lock boxes in the premises w/ revolvers stored for action. I also keep a loaded speed loader in the box w/ the gun. Remember, if kids or irresponsible adults have access to your guns, then local law may say they have to locked up. My boxes are legal, take less than 3 seconds to open, so I have no problem keeping them loaded.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Your Dan Wesson does have a hammer block safety and it is safe to keep it fully loaded. Dan Wesson revolvers were made in the 1970's & 1980's and are quite modern guns. Well designed and solid.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Welcome aboard.

If you're going to store the weapon in the house and not carry it...you will be ok loading every chamber. (Leaving an empty chamber is for weapons with no hammer block they may be dropped during carry.) If it bothers you though you are still fine leaving an empty chamber under the hammer. *Ensure you're pointing in a safe direction when you lower the hammer. Hold it firmly under your thumb and pull trigger to lower hammer. **Practice lowering the hammer with gun unloaded before doing it while loaded.

How you store the weapon depends a lot on things like how quick you want to get to it...if you have kids in the house...if there is a chance mentally unstable persons could get access...if theft is likely etc.

Consider buying a combination lockbox to keep the gun loaded in. They make models specifically for hanguns that have a keypad on the outside with 5 digits...you push the correct 3 or 4 digit code in and can be holding your revolver in 2 seconds. You can see some examples at Cabelas.com

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...602007&parentType=category&parentId=cat602007

If you have no worry about any unauthorized person getting hands on the revolver...storing it in a nightstand drawer, desk drawer, top of closet shelf etc is not a sin...I have loaded pistols stored in all mentioned.
  5. dwgunfan

dwgunfan New Member

Thanks for the responses. Also, great ideas on the lockboxes. We do have guests frequently (including kids), and, although I don't think any of them would get into where the gun is, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and it doesn't sound as if I would be sacrificing much in the way of getting to the weapon in a hurry. Thanks all!
  6. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Wise of you not to load the gun until you've had the class.

Btw, you might start out using some .38 special ammunition in that one, to get used to shooting it, before you try .357's, which have much greater kick, make a more blinding flash and a lot of noise. I think you'll have a lot of fun shooting it with .357's (with adequate hearing and eye protection, of course) but if you're a beginner, I wouldn't start out with 'em.
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Welcome....dig a foxhole & settle in...

My situation is somewhat unique, OK, OK wierd.....:D

We have a small double door separating the kitchen & mud room from the rest of the house.

Cuz...... the Mastiff & the Belgian reside on the big side & the wee little Papillons are on the kitchen side.

Hanging on the lamp table beside my recliner is a loaded .44 Mag. with hammer down.

Loaded, empty chambered, 1911 under my pillow, loaded DA 9mm on my nightstand.

I figure racking a round in the 1911 would make anyone, foe or friend speak up and yell "don't shoot"....:eek:

Is this setup OSHA approved......I'm guessing NOT.....:rolleyes:
  8. Al, you are a man after my own heart! :D In my case, the bedroom guns consist of a loaded (00 buck, 5 shells in the magazine) 12-gauge Mossberg 500, along with a .38 S&W revolver (which my wife feels more comfortable with) and a speedloader. In other areas of the house there are other readily accessible "persuaders" close at hand. I've had loaded firearms in my home since I've lived on my own, even when we had kids in the house. They were taught from an early age not to touch the guns. OSHA can take a flying leap at a rolling donut as far as I am concerned. :D;)
  9. delta13soultaker

I'm of a similar opinion here. I have a hi-cap auto in the master bath, the closet nearest the living room, two beside the bed etc etc....all placed so as to provide firepower in order to reach a couple long-guns I keep with loaded mags that will very quickly end a home invasion.
  10. Don't forget the claymores in the hallway, Delta, not to mention the S-mines in the front yard. :D;):p
  11. delta13soultaker

They'd trip over all the kids toys cars in the hall and break their neck before they ever got to the claymores:D
  12. HNP45acp

HNP45acp New Member

Current solution: In a safe

Hello everybody! I’m new to the form.
    This is an interesting very topic. I have found myself thinking about “where to hide a firearm (pistol/revolver) in then house for easy access when SHTF”

I used to think of clever ideas like cereal boxes, etc. It turns out that it is a very bad idea. Apparently when thieves rob homes, they also search places where homeowners typically conceal drugs (ie. Cereal boxes.) so many of the places I had thought of, turn out to be a bad idea. Last thing I want is criminal getting hold of my firearms. Therefore, best place to leave a gun when no one is home is a gun-safe.

I recently read an article which showed that a gun is only good if it is on you (or at least at arms length.) So better start thinking of that heavy piece of blued steel as part of you (ie. carrying it), or an extension of you (ie. hidden at arm’s length.)

Nonetheless, I have not given up on finding a clever idea for safely hiding a gun, and still have quick access to it if needed. So I welcome any ideas.

Now I lock my pistol away every morning before I leave the house. It was a pain at first, but now is second nature.

Be safe!!!
  13. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Your house is like mine then Delta. I have a legion of Lego stormtroopers ready to ambush any intruder in the middle of the night.
  14. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

Sportsmans Guide sells a hanging picture with a gun storage area behind the picture. I have a clock in the living room with a hidden area behind the face that my grandson built for me in wood shop. I have 2 loaded and locked 357's in my bedroom, with my wife and I each with a key on a chain we sleep with. I keep one in the garage, in my storage cabinet, and when on the tractor i carry one, for snakes and such :D.
  15. delta13soultaker

Now that's a cool idea.
  16. I still think claymores and S-mines work more effectively. :D;)
  17. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Carry 24/7 Thunderware :D
    If I can't reach one from where I am sitting I bet I could if I laid dow or stood up, from ANY place in the house.
  18. martbo

martbo New Member

>>>>OSHA can take a flying leap at a rolling donut as far as I am concerned. <<<<

Hey Pistol, I learned a valuable lesson while in the US Air Force. When a pilot screws up and just before he crashes, 99% scream 'OH SH**' Well the US Government needed a bureaucracy to mess with people, they wanted to use the same phrase but with political correctness, they decided to name it O SHA* instead.
  19. dwgunfan

dwgunfan New Member

Hi, everybody. I wanted to thank you all for the advice - I ended up getting a small gun safe with an electronic combo lock. I have found I am able to gain access to my gun in under 3 seconds - good enough for my peace of mind. Also, I took a safety course, and had the good fortune of taking my wife and daughter along. They both enjoyed the experience, and my wife is even planning on practicing with me! (Of which I'm glad -- she could be practicing on me! :) ) We'll be joining a local shooting range for regular practice very soon.
  20. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Glad to hear that. Sounds like you've made the correct strart, with safety training first and practice coming soon. Remember to practice regularly, as proficiency can fade quickly.