How to watch for overpressure in shotshells?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by JohnK3, Mar 22, 2004.

1. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Just getting back into shotgun shooting. I've got my dad's old MEC 600 Jr. (70's era) in 20ga. and looking to buy a Mk. V in 12ga. soon.

Other than the obvious (primer backouts/flattening/etc.) how does one watch for signs of overpressure in a shotshell?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

JohnK3, boy, now you are dating me as an old phart. I still have, and use, my MEC 600 jr press to this day. I have loaded many, many thousands of 12 ga shotshells on it and have finally wore out my sizing die. I called Mayville Engineering about two weeks ago and they are sending me a new sizer die. I love that old machine and will not let it go. I have every powder and charging bushing ever made for that old timer.

As for overpressure, the only other thing I can think of is DO NOT DEVIATE from the load book data and parts used. I have always used Winchester AA hulls and have never had a problem. I did have one shell I did not drop a powder charge into and that was the only mistake I ever made. One shell out of literally thousands.
    Went tinkle, tinkle tinkle, down the barrel. No harm done. Made sure barrel was not obstructed, racked in a new round and away I went. Haven't ever had another one!

Try the 600 jr. It's a lot of fun. I have the auto primer feed for mine. A must in my consideration!
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I used a 600 Junior for years, IPT, and gave it to # 1 son a while back. I really did love that little machine and was very comfortable using it.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Marlin, had mine for 28 years and it still works. Would never give it up. Mayville Engineering charged me $6.00 plus shipping for a new sizer die and all is well again. May not be the fastest thing around, but it makes good shotshells.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2004