how was everyones hunts

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by evan756, Jan 7, 2010.

1. evan756

evan756 New Member

i new to this but if its about hunting i am all over it i was wondering how everyones w tail hunts went this year. I no there was not to many big deer in the regina sk area like there has bin. I held out till the last day after watchin numerouse spikers and small bucks and finally shot this decent buck i had bin watching in behind my house since spring. but id love to see what other ppl have got and how the hunting is in other areas. also i threw a couple pics of the moose we pulled out in last years draw this is the only decent bull but we managed to pull 5 moose out in 5 days a trip i wont forget thats forsure.

Attached Files:

2. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Congrats on the deer & moose Evan756 and welcome from one newbie to another!

The deer season has been very good to me this year. I currently have 5 in the freezer and muzzleloader opens this weekend. I have taken two button bucks and a nice 6 point with my bow. The six point would have been a real nice 8 point if it had brow tines. I also took two mature does during the gun seasons. If I am lucky enough then I will have my bag limit of six for the year after this weekend, and that would be the first time ever that I was able to fill all tags that were available during a deer season.
  3. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I saw several this season but none of them presented me with a shot i felt comfortable taking, oh well maybe i will have better luck next year.
  4. evan756

evan756 New Member

congrats on the 5 deer this year the most we could take was two unless you start with mule in the cronic waste areas. Also jim thats somehtin i have been hearing all to often this year that the few decent bucks never gave anyone a shot i was rather lucky my dad pushed this deer and several otheres right out infront of me this one turned and went under the fence 25 yards infront of me and i shot as he came back up.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Well this is my last year hunting in swtx for a while. I must have seen 20 to 30 deer at each hunt. None were big enough to shoot. After 8 days of hunting I saw a 9 point that looked big enough and i shot him. Caught so much crap for shooting it I have just said screw it. I have to listen to stuff like "why would you shoot something like that, he is only 3 1/2 years old". His name was Tom.

When your in a lease and the owner names the animals it's time to haul butt outta there. I am sick of people trying to grow the perfect animal. There is way too much of that crap on tv and its got people acting stupid.

I have an uncle that has a nice size pond. He invites you over to fish but you cant keep any. WTF. People dont realise animals are a renewable resource. let your fish grow and after they spawn you need to catch the adult ones or they will eat their young. Duh! Catch the old batch eat them and let the new batch grow and do it all over again. I dunno.

So anyway I only got to kill one this year.
  6. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

Sorry to hear that. It is a shame that too many feel that you are not truly hunting unless you shoot the biggest, baddest buck and only a buck in the woods. Bunch of crap if you ask me. As you said deer are a natural renewable resource. A 9 point is a respectable deer anywhere in my book.
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

In Louisiana I killed on adverage of 5 to 6 a year. In tx i killed on adverage 2 to 3 but I would see sooooooo many more. Just the sheer number of deer in tx is amazing. I have enough wall hangers. I like to put meat in the freezer now. 5 to 6 is what my family requires for a year and that is what i would like to get back to. Heck my buddie has not shot one in 2 years beacuse of all the bs we hear at the camp. I am telling you when they name the animals it's time to move. If a guy spends up to what ever 1K or 2K you expect to kill something dont you?
  8. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

I agree with you 100% and if I dropped that amount of money I would expect to leave with something to show for it too regardless of what they named it, LOL; nor would I feel bad for dowing it, unless of course you entered into an agreement not to shoot a deer under a certain size or name.

As a family we require about the same amount. Last year I ended the season with 4 and I was out by the end of March. Ohio is currently trying to bring the population in check so if they are allowing 6 I am more than happy to help them out.
  9. Sandman

Sandman Member

I will be sitting on a stand for the first time this weekend. Up to now, I have been duck hunting when I have been able to get out. Ducks have left our area, so I am switching gears just in time to catch this arctic blast. Hopefully they will be out searching for food.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I got a doe with a bow and a 4 pointer during the (early in NH) muzzleloader season. At that point I stopped because two in the freezer will more than cover me for meat for the year.

Cycloneman:

If all there are is smaller deer then I'd ask ole Tom where all the big ones went to. Ole Tom's holding back something like who else he lets hunt your lease.
  11. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

Always enjoyed the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" and envisioned that I could handle the mountain man life just fine.....well this last hunt proved me wrong. As the crusty old trapper Bear Claw Chis Lapp said of Johnson, I would probably be a "Starvin Pilgrim" if I were a mountain man.

We've had 28" of snow this past month, so deep I purchased a pair of snowshoes just to keep from sinking to my waist. By far the hardest hunting in 40+ years.

Half fearful to shoot something knowing that it had to be hauled nearly a mile through deep snow. Pictures may tell it better than I..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With snow shoes I learned quickly to keep feet apart to prevent tripping over myself...tried to write my name.
    [​IMG]

Snow shoes don't work too well in corn fields.....stalks trip you up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn't what I was after, but so exhausted it looked pretty good. Hunting is over this year for this Starvin Pilgrim.....and I'm glad.

Dropped him with a 44 Desert Eagle.
    [​IMG]
  12. evan756

evan756 New Member

have to love the winter hunts but its always a chore to get the animal out a skidoo helps out alot i no i have had to do that a couple years here never hunted in snow like that make for a long day
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

They drag easier on the snow unless it's deep snow of course. Snow covering the ground is a great time to hunt because the deer really stand out against it, blood trails and tracks are easy to follow. It works for me.
  14. evan756

evan756 New Member

yeah this was the first year i havent had anysnow wile i was hunting i enjoyed it alot bein able to go out in my shoes was wonderfull but it did make finding the deer much harder in areas i wasnt familar with, but was not nearly as tired after a full day as i have been in past years
  15. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

evan756.....need to use punctuation and capitalization in your posts. Juvenile text messaging isn't appropriate here, it's a sign of immaturity and a poor education.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010