How would you answer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Let me say, up front - I AM NOT ASKING. I DON'T CARE.

But this question pops up, from time to time, on most gun boards.

How many guns do you have?

I know of one board where at least of third of the participants have their guns listed in their signature lines.

But most places, if that question is asked, you get, maybe, 2% of the responses truthfully answering the question (usually by people with ten or less guns), 40% of them saying "none of your business", and the other 58% telling about the tragic boating accident. Although I did just see this response, on the Smith board. >I only have two, a GAU-8/A Avenger 30 mm Gatling gun and a Bofors 40 mm anti-aircraft gun. The Avenger is a lot of fun but the Bofors is a real tack-driver. Shooting them gets a little expensive but reloading really helps. I usually don't have any problems identifying my brass at the range but it gets a little old when people ask if they can try shooting them.< I liked that one. :D

My question is multi-part.

If someone asked, how would you respond?

Would your response depend on who was asking? Ampaterry, for example, who has been here for four years and has 5000 posts, versus Joe-Newby, who joined last week and has 5 posts?

Would your response depend on where the question was asked? You're shooting the bull over a cup of pumpkin latte, at Starbucks, with a friend, versus someone posts the question on an open forum?

Mostly I don't respond. On a board - no. In person, from someone I know slightly - "some". In person, from someone I know well - "how much money you got in the bank?" In person from a family member - I'll probably tell 'em.

I know on one board, someone asked, and there were two "boating accident" answers, and then I told the truth, and the thread died. :confused::( Strange.
  2. waizen

waizen New Member

Beware the person with only one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Actually, it depends on who is asking. Friends: I'll tell. Strangers on a board, probably not a good idea to reveal how much of an investment you have.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

To be honest, I dont really tell anyone in public about my weapons because I fear someone might try and break into my house and steal them. I dont really feel alright even telling people on the internet about how many weapons I have. I showed a picture of a few of my .22s and .223 but that was about it. Ive heard the boating accident replies. Also on other forums I heard "what guns"? and "how many times are the members going to ask this question"?
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I had my dad ask me that question over Labor Day. I honestly couldn't answer; I gave him an approximate number.

I'm pretty open with people I know. And I'll answer honestly on an anonymous poll, but I don't feel the need to document for whoever all of my anything. Guns, tools, DVDs, or shoes.
  5. Model195Fan

Model195Fan Member

I pretty much don't tell anyone, although the State I'm in knows what I have purchased since I moved here. I've told my wife once or twice, but she's forgotten, and doesn't ask anymore, because we have enough money and don't bug each other about spending. Also, I hardly ever buy anything anymore, anyway.

It's really nobody else's business, and I have no need to advertise for a burglary.
  6. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

I'm more curious about how often you go to starbucks and shoot the bull over your pumpkin latte.:D Since I have nothing that they are gonna try and take. Well right now anyways. I have no problem telling. But thats just me. I'm one of those with less than 10. Now when my arsenal starts growing it will turn from the truth to ignoring the question or giving a none of your damn business answers
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I have been to Starbucks exactly twice. Both times my daughter took me. I told her the idea of paying 5 or 6 bucks for a cup of coffee was idiotic (I even quit ordering coffee as restaurants, when I notice it was up to a buck and a half to two dollars a cup, and just get water with my meal), but she likes it there, and REALLY likes the pumpkin latte, which they only have this time of year (Halloween/Thanksgiving). Ain't never had one, myownself. Sounds pretty nasty.
  8. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

My standard reply to that question is ;

"More than I need .... Less than I want".
  9. Appliancedude

uh huh sure. You just outed yourself mister:D Next thing ya know you'll be acting like Highboy:D
  10. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ron,

This is a good post, thanks for starting it. At first when I was a newbie I didn't really think about it. But then I realized there are a lot of "Eyes" on here that just lurk in the back ground. As far as the everyday members everyone is on the "Up and up," and as far as the trolls Sam does a great job of ousting them. But with that said I have come to the conclusion that I can post a gun pick here or there because we all know that we own guns and a stranger would be a fool to think that none of us do (I am eating the best pizza while I post this) own guns. Also, anyone that has seen my truck knows I am a gunman due to the 44MAG receiver hitch cover that is on my truck an of course because it is often parked outside of most gun shops at any given time. So they could just follow me and see where I live and then rob me. But, I don't let that bother me because for one they will need dynamite to get my guns when I am gone, so that will be a dead give away that my home is undergoing some strange tribulation and so the neighbors who are pretty loyal will begin making calls. Also, because my neighbors own guns it might get kind of ugly before the cops arrive. I am also not worried about being robbed when I am here, or the wife because I always have a gun within reach if it is not on me. As a matter of fact my brother came and started to tell me off in my garage this summer and all of a sudden he said,,, "Is that a gun on your side?" I have always said someone might kill me in a gun fight, but I won't be murdered. That is why I carry a gun at all times at home or away.

Last point Ron. When people ask me how many guns I have my disposition gets serious and I let them know that the reason I own guns is because I don't like people showing up invited and that when they let me know they are coming by I can be prepared for for a good time or a surprise home invasion. Seriously, I really do that. I look them in the eye and let them know that and the question gets dropped because that is personal info just like my bank account and that offends me. They can ask me if I own any guns I just say "Come on over unannounced and I will be glad to show you."

However, I have decided not to post "How many guns I own" because it is my business and no one else's. I also feel that someone asking that question on a forum makes me question their motive. Also, it's not Uncle Sam's business how many I have and that is another story.

Ron, I would be honored to have a cup of coffee with you.
  11. 76Highboy

What the? :D
  12. Appliancedude

Uncle Sam already has a good idea of how many you have. Every time you buy a gun and have it registered to you. You can admit all you want, uncle sam already knows. JUST DON"T ADMIT TO THE UNREGISTERED ONES!!!!!!

Thats one reason why I don't care at the moment. Uncle Sam already knows how many I have and what they are. Well not all of them:D
  13. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

more than one less than a million.
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Guns? What guns?
  15. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

a shotgun, a rifle and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive;)
  16. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

All I can say is.....GIVE ME MORE!
  17. 76Highboy

And lets just make this perfectly clear, Alpo would look real cute sitting there at Starbuck's with his pumpkin latte and his little pink .22 Cricket rifle slung over his shoulder. He, he, he. :lmao:
  18. Appliancedude

And you would know from personal experience right? Wife took a picture of ya did she?

You know its weird. I'm actually more worried about people knowing how much ammo I have as opposed to how many guns I have. Maybe thats because I don't have that many guns?
  19. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

'a couple'
  20. 76Highboy

My wife is too embarrassed to take my picture anymore. As for the amount of ammo I have, I have soooo much of it. I mean I do shoot a lot of air soft so I go through it. What? Oh my gosh, you thought I was talking real ammo? And my guns? You thought they were real? Oh heck no, I only airsoft. ;)