The Firearms Forum banner

how would you degloss plexiglass?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 ·
Windows in my hunting blind are plexiglass

They can make a glare I'm sure the animals can see

How can you decrease the glare and not impede visibility?

#3 ·
Re- install them at an upward angle so the reflection is upward.
Poaaibly a light work over with 0000 steel wool
place dark window screen over the outside
I'm out of ideas

#5 · (Edited)
I have some scrap of the same material I have in the blind
It's common stuff they sell at Lowes

I think if I spray it with soapy water from a spray bottle and lightly go over it with the 0000 steel wool or maybe a mild scotch brite pad it will work without ruining the visibility

the glare just bugs me because if I look at my blind from 100 yards away, it is concealed great and blends in wonderfully.
Then if you move a little depending on where the sun is, you can catch a flash of glare off of those windows

#6 ·
Just get that camo netting and hang over them. Get the shoot thru screen netting and you wont even have to move it aside to take the shot. Even with a bow

#7 ·
Another plexiglass stand question?

I'm finishing up a new stand that we're hauling 6 miles back in and setting up at base of mnt, on a big mineral lick, spring/swamp. Floor is sheet of plywood, and it's 20 foot up a ladder, ladder is 3/16 two inch sq tube, heavy duty; steel frame alone weighs over 600 lbs. So what's the best way to set in plexiglass windows to slide, (for the sides and rear panels). I figure you can buy grooved bases the windows will fit in, so you can screw into plywood.

Kinda waiting for huntin season to get over with and first snow so swamp freezes hard; then we''ll haul her out there. Moose, caribou, wolves, lynx hit the area and some of the local Indians and I plan on spending time out there early winter, try to get some wolves with foxpro.

#8 ·
Another plexiglass stand question?

I'm finishing up a new stand that we're hauling 6 miles back in and setting up at base of mnt, on a big mineral lick, spring/swamp. Floor is sheet of plywood, and it's 20 foot up a ladder, ladder is 3/16 two inch sq tube, heavy duty; steel frame alone weighs over 600 lbs. So what's the best way to set in plexiglass windows to slide, (for the sides and rear panels). I figure you can buy grooved bases the windows will fit in, so you can screw into plywood.

Kinda waiting for huntin season to get over with and first snow so swamp freezes hard; then we''ll haul her out there. Moose, caribou, wolves, lynx hit the area and some of the local Indians and I plan on spending time out there early winter, try to get some wolves with foxpro.
I took 1X2 strips and cut grooves in them with my table saw

I mounted the strips horizontally along the top and bottom of the window frame

I spaced them vertically so that the plexi glass can be lifted up and out of the groove for replacement if needed

The grooves let the windows slide back and forth little effort and no noise hardly

the plexi fits so good that bugs can't get in also

#9 ·
That's how we have done it before.

If you arent worried about the weather, the camo netting is awesome. We have had turkey right on us and not be able to see us through it. As long as the light isnt shining directly in on you and you arent backlit, nothing will see you.

#10 ·
I kind of like the screen on outside idea. it would break up the sun's rays. maybe slant them upwards a bit as well.

but I gotta ask. do the deer care about a glare? if it's left there for them to get accustomed to it will it make a difference? many times they come near houses which I am sure have glare producing windows.

#11 ·
The only reason it would matter if it is moving. Sitting still, it wouldnt matter, but if you are hunting and it suddenly flashes, they will be on you. Sliding windows wont be as prone to this as ones that are hinged, but still, if they see the glare suddenly removed from a portion when it is slid out of the way, it could be enough to tip them off.

#12 ·
The only reason it would matter if it is moving. Sitting still, it wouldnt matter, but if you are hunting and it suddenly flashes, they will be on you. Sliding windows wont be as prone to this as ones that are hinged, but still, if they see the glare suddenly removed from a portion when it is slid out of the way, it could be enough to tip them off.
those are all valid points

once it has been there a few more weeks, it probly won't matter to them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.