1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

how's your garden doin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wv hillbilly, Jul 6, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

mine is holding its own. i pulled all the blue lakes. i still have 2 30' rows of beets growing. i will soon be picking the bird eggs. and hopefully my limas will produce this fall. right now they are loaded with bloom.
    getting a few cukes, tomatos, squash and peppers. i dug one hill of potatoes and got 9 very nice spuds (having them for supper)
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We had a drought May & June; here it is July and I have taters just coming up, worst year out of the last 12. So I have a few plants flowering and majority too small to matter. I planted 400 lb seed tatoes, usually get 3500 lb; be lucky if I get 2000 lb of smallish taters; but they sure are good fried. Brocculli, iceberg, carrots, cabbage doing OK, I was able to water them some.

Bought a new troy built this Spring; $2800; last one was $1800 and got 22 years out of her. This new one should outlive my butt. I still could have bought a few nice guns with the money, which is a downer now that it has been such a bad garden year so far.

If my garden ever gets super nice, I'll take some picts.
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I just had a small garden with tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and all kinds of peppers, sweet, jalapeƱos , Cayenne, banana, and some okra and other stuff. My garden is only about 40 by 90, so you can visualize the size of it. Anyway we have had a bad dry spell and nothing grew even after watering it about twice a week. My tomatoes only got about 24 inches high, and that is a stretch. Had a few tomatoes on the vines and the birds had a ball with them when they were red. So I got a little angry and mowed the whole thing down. Gonna sell my tiller and raise tomatoes in pots on the patio and wrap them with nettings.

I bought an Owl Decoy and placed it in several places around the tomatoes in the garden and it did not help a bit. I don't think they have Owls in this part of the country, so the birds are not afraid of it because they don't know what it is. Since then I have 4 plants in large pots and the first fruit was eaten by birds. I thought by getting so close to the house they would not bother them. Again I placed the Owl in all positions. It does not work. So I wraped them in netting and so far it is working. I have about 25 green tomatoes now, so I will wait until they get red then see what happens. I never had a problem growing a large beautiful garden in Tennessee, and I was very rural, animals and birds of all kinds. The deer was easy to get rid of after about 4 or 5, if you know what I mean. I have about had it with growing a garden in Mississippi.

I think I will set the Owl on a tomato stick out back and use it for target practice by shooting it with my pellet gun. I might even kill one of the birds that is setting on top of the Owl.
    One Tiller for sale Cheap.
  4. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Did you get one of the owls that have the head that kind of rocks, floats, and rotates? Those work pretty decent.
  5. ole95

ole95 New Member

Holding it's own just now getting some rain after a week of 104 -107
    Getting a few peppers grandkids setting on ready waiting on the mators
  6. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Excellent being we are watering every other night. Water bill was $5 shy of double this month!!!! All but 2 heads of cabbage in freezer, several bags of green beans in freezer (we vacum seal all we freeze), corn is 1 week from all being pulled, onions need to be pulled now, and tomatoss are over your head LOADED with green tomatos (we put them in cages made of concrete wire thus they go way up). We planted 2 cucumber "bushes" thus they do not vine however they do keep cucumbers onthem all season. Now to till and figure out what to plant as alate crop, turnips for sure but maybe a late green bean?
  7. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Hurtin' .47" of rain last mo. 2 weeks of 100+.Water melons got so hot they split. Getting maters, zucchini and few cucumbers. Maybe rain and cooler next week will save the okra. Water restrictions so can only water 2 days a week.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i don't have a garden but there is a farm around the corner so far all they have is lettuce?
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Burnin up! Watered every evening but we need some real rain to help it out.
  10. wv hillbilly

how about greens. mustard, lettuce, spinach, kale,collards. maybe some radishes,rutabaga
  11. wv hillbilly

do you sneek a little?:D:devilish:
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The grass is dead throughout most of our yard.
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well I have no garden but I was on vacation for a week and my back yard looks like the sahara desert. everything is dead.
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We don't plant until moon change early-mid June, one of our iceberg beds & brocculli. Usually start in hot frames. I have friends that heat the ground and are eating outta their gardens in Alaska already; I just don't get that serious. We always plant 300-500 plants of most everything, but only maybe 100 cabbage.

[​IMG]
  15. wv hillbilly

surely you dont eat all that lettuce:eek::D