The Firearms Forum banner

hr sportsman 22lr topbreak 1940 yr.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  popee1960 
#1 ·
I bought a hr sportsman 22lr topbreak im havivg a problem with it and need help the gun fires good in double action but the hammer will not stay back in single action is the gun a double action only or is something wrong.how do I fix it. thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

There is a secondary sear, which looks like a little trigger in back of the real trigger in the trigger guard. This sear is for thumb cocking. There are several possible reasons why you can't thumb cock your H&R; The sear spring might be missing, the sear could be worn or damaged, or the single action cocking notch on the hammer might be worn out or damaged, or the gun could be full of old gunk jamming the parts. You could try shooting some light oil up into the action such as WD40 or Gibbs and see if that has any effect. But the best way of dealing with it is to take the revolver apart for cleaning and inspection.

#3 ·
Put end of a toothpick or pin behind the sear and hold it out while you cock the hammer.

If the hammer then holds cock, it just needs cleaning or a sear spring.

If it still won't hold, the sear or hammer full cock notch or both are worn.

#6 ·
1. Sportsmans and other H&R topbreak's were notorious for the single-action notch on the hammer either wearing down or not having been cut deep enough to begin with. If this is the issue there are two possible methods to fix this. (1) file the notch deeper(then hone it of course). (2) replace the hammer with one that has a good single-action notch.

2. Possible other problem - the sear is warn. However of all the H&R guns I've seen with the single-action issue, only one had a worn sear.

3. Worn/weak/broken sear spring.

4. Another common problem is oil/grease drying out and caking up like cosmoline and filling that notch. Dis-assembly and clean will remedy this problem.

Sometimes a combination of any or all of the above. Personally I'd do #4 first just because you'd have to take the gun apart anyways to see if the notch is full of gunk. If the notch is shallow, well - #1 is the fix. While you have it all apart, replace the sear spring with a NEW unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.