HS Model 200

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by pyroblack, Aug 28, 2011.

1. pyroblack

pyroblack New Member

SOUTHERN INDIANA, WAY TO CLOSE TO LOUISVILLE
    When my father past away almost 30 years ago he left me his, High Standard model 200 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun, 2 3/4 in. chamber, has a 28 in. barrel, the serial number is 3027061,,does anyone have an idea how i can find the manufacture date. i am thinking about 1970 maybe earlier, any help would be appreciated
  2. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The semi-auto Model 200 was manufactured and sold to J. C. Penny.

There should be a two character assembly date code on the barrel just forward of the receiver. It was shipped as a catalog number 8541 on 10/21/1969 to account number 64215-7 on invoice number 7979.

For my research, I have a few questions;

What is the assembly date code?

What is the choke marking on your shotgun. * , ** , *** ?

Is this a plain barrel or ribbed barrel? IF ribbed one or two sight beads?

Is the bolt polished or engine turned?

Is there a recoil pad or plain butt plate?

Is there a pistol grip cap?

Are the trigger and safety blued, nickeled or gold?
  3. pyroblack

pyroblack New Member

SOUTHERN INDIANA, WAY TO CLOSE TO LOUISVILLE
    What is the assembly date code? i can"t make it out for sure looks like WO or WD and on the right side are the letters WI, Again i think!
    Is this a plain barrel or ribbed barrel? It is ribbed with 2 sight bead
    What is the choke marking on your shotgun? *
    Is there a recoil pad or plain butt plate? Recoil pad
    Is there a pistol grip cap? yes
    Are the trigger and safety blued, nickeled or gold? gold
    Is the bolt polished or engine turned? Engine turned.... And i would like to thank you for your help very much!!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

When dealing with Penny and Sears, their use of Stocking numbers and Store brand names can be confusing. I know penny sold the HS flight King, but the Model 200 was both a stand alone ( Sold by HS as the Model 200 ) item and also sold by Sears As the Model 20. Could be wrong, been wrong before:) The Model 200 is a economy version of the Flight King, Same bird, different name.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

J. C. Penny in the mid to late 1960's bought both 12 Gauge and 20 Gauge semi-auto shotguns from High Standard marked MODEL 200. Penny also at later dates ordered other Catalog numbers for J. C. Penny specific models up through about the end of 1973.

Overall High Standard sold private label or semi private label guns to about two dozen different companies.

High Standard did also offer five catalog numbers of a MODEL 200 pump four of which were regular guns and one a promotional special. The MODEL 200 pump is a derivative of the model 20 as were all the other 12 Gauge pump guns. But it was never in production when the Model 20 was in production. Sears had already turned to Winchester for their Pump and semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns before teh Model 200 appeared on teh scene.

There were several different design series sold as the Model 20 and an even greater number of catalog numbers. High Standard's in house design series numbering of the model 20 began with the HS2 (Sears 583.53 and 583.54), the HS3 (Sears 583.55, 583.56, 583.87, 583.88, and 583.89)), HS3-1( Sears 583.57 and 583.58), HS3-2 (Sears 583.59 and 583.60), HS3-3 ( Sears 583.61 )

The MODEL 200 Pump was indeed a less expensive version of the Flite King Models.
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:)SGVitor, You are better versed on High Standard 200 than I. I was aware of Sears involvement with High Standard but not Penny's:),Thanks for the information.
  7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

As I said, there were several companies that High Standard made shotguns and rifles for:

Vornado, Dave Cook Sporting Goods, Gibson (Pointer), National Buying Syndicatre ( Sport Deluxe), J. C Penny (Model 200 and Foremost 4011 & 6110), Sears in the 1970's ( a .410 pump), White ( Model 800), Zayres,
    F. W. Woolworth / Woolco ( Field Classic), Bonitz Brothers, Gamble Skogmo (Hiawatha), Western Auto ( Revelation), Jerry's Sport Center (Point Right), TG&Y, Western Hoegee ( Apache), Clair Frank, Dayton Gun Distributors (Mallard), American Canvas ( Model 220), Western Wholesale ( NATO Pintail), World Wide Inc (Birdwing), Kroydon,
    K-Mart, and Howard Brothers.

These guns were almost all made between 1969 and late 1973 and probably total around 200,000 guns They were all derivatives of the Flite King pump and Supermatic semi-auto shotguns- different wood, roll mark engraving on the receiver, trigger and safety finish ( blued. nickel or gold) The rifles were the Flite King/Sport King pump and the derivative of the Sears Model 25 which was a rehashed Stevens/Springfield design. If I recall correctly only Kroydon and Western Hoegee got rifles. My records show 206 different catalog numbers for the shotguns and 4 for the rifles.

Very few of these appear in the Numrich or other cross reference tables and or parts schemetics and the Numrich cross reference for High Standard's guns have numerous errors. It appears to me that many of the other cross references are derived form Numrich's list

In many cases High Standard had manuals printed for these customers. I have manuals for some of them and not others but they may exist They are tough to find.

John Stimson
    www.histandard.info
  8. Ralph3796

Ralph3796 New Member

This is a very interesting shotgun. It was designed by Frederick L. Humeston who was an engineer at Winchester before moving to High Standard. (Humeston was the primary designer of the M1 Carbine.) The patent for his pump-action was assigned 1/2 to High Standard and 1/2 to Sears. The J. C. Higgins Model 20 sold by Sears predated all High Standard shotguns based on this design by several years, so it's really inaccurate to refer to the Model 20 as a "High Standard Model 200," as is often seen on the Internet. It's also been reported that the Model 20 was based on a Remington patent. This is clearly not the case.

If you compare the detailed drawings in the Humeston pump-action patent (No. 2476196) with those of C. C. Loomis at Remington for what would become the Model 31 as well as those for the Winchester Model 12, it's easy to see that Humeston was trying to integrate the best features of both of these guns in his design. It's no wonder many who have Model 20s (or later High Standard pumps based on the same patent) claim they have the slickest actions of any pump they've ever handled. With the Model 20, you've got the love-child of the Model 12 and Model 31.

The Higgins model 20 is a well built gun. It’s an all steel receiver; walnut wood and the barrel screws into the receiver. If you are looking for a good hunting gun it will last you a lifetime or more. Most only shoot 2-3/4" shells though. It was made by High Standard and is good quality.

High Standard began making shotguns for Sears Roebuck in the late 1940s. In 1960, High Standard began marketing shotguns under their own name and the approximately 200 models in the following listing are derived from the High Standard catalogs and price lists of that time. A redesign of the shotgun line occurred with new models introduced in 1966. In 1973, High Standard introduced their new "Trophy Line" of shotguns and this marked a change in catalog numbers from the number beginning with the numeral 8 to the number beginning with the numeral 6. At this time the previous catalog numbers were referred to as the "Regular Line". Some regular line guns were cataloged in 1973, but this was the last year for them except the Police models. The 12 gauge pumps in the Trophy line were the guns which had interchangeable barrels. Serial numbers began appearing on the High Standard shotguns during middle to late 1967. Beginning about 1958, many of the shotguns had a two letter date code.

Additionally, there are over 150 catalog numbers for both semi-auto and slide action shotguns not listed here which represent models with High Standard markings but with special roll marking or other features which High Standard produced for several large distributors. Many of these distributor specials had their own model names which included Point Right, Pointer, Bird wing, NATO Pintail Field Classic Mallard Model 200 (J.C. Penney 20 ga. semi-auto), Model 220, and Sport Deluxe. These distributor label guns are not listed in the following data.

The choke markings used by High Standard are: * Full, ** Modified, *** Improved Cylinder, and **** Skeet Bore. Cylinder Bore has no mark.
  9. Ralph3796

Ralph3796 New Member

Also; I have a High Standard Model 200 with the Duck Engravings on the receiver and,,, get this Mfg... July 1968 and is Still New and Never Fired Outside of Factory...

Very Beautiful Pump That Will Not Be Shot By Me, Either... Saving It For A "Rainy Day"..