HS Supermatic Citation

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by LIKTOSHOOT, Sep 17, 2006.

1. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Not my cup of tea so to speak concerning the value of these, since the books are not realistic nor close to the best of my thinking----anywho, this is it.

High Standard Model 103 SuperMatic Citation
    Serial # 1250xxx
    5 1/2" Heavy Target barrel w/ Solid top Bo-Mar rib-adjustable sights (assume rear only?)

Minty with some bluing loss at the sharp edges of the muzzle-wood mint.
    Original magazine.

Whats one of these worth??

LTS
  2. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

question :
    High Standard Model 103 SuperMatic Citation
    5 1/2" Heavy Target barrel w/ Solid top Bo-Mar rib-adjustable sights (assume rear only?)

Answer : I have (2) two of them...........depending on condition of gun.

90 % or more = I would say anywhere from $ 400.00 to $ 600.00 ..more if you have the box that it came in. I was offered $ 600.00 for one of mine that was in 95 % or better condition with the original box that it came in. I didn't sell mine because prices go up on these guns....if they are in good condition.
    Hope this helps a little ?
  3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Your pistol is not factory original with a Bomar rib so generally collectors will not be interested but shooters may be interested. However, today most shooters prefer thge milirary grip angle guns like the 106 and 107 series guns.

If it were a Giles rib and thus a Giles custom gun the value would be more.

The current Blue Book gives $625 for 98% finish, $510 for a 95% finish, $430 for 90% finish for an original 103 Citation without box which is close to the value given by Kimberman.

John Stimson
    www.histandard.info
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Exc. shape $550
    Good shape $275
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

Kimber, you have two of these with the "Bo-Mar" solid rib sights???
    ...as in like a shotgun rib, running the full length of the top of the pistol?

LTS
  6. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

LIKTOSHOOT..............

read my note about the model 103. ( above) yours.

I have HS Supermatic Citation...........I have adjustable sights and etc. that came with the gun.

Please see my add under buy , sell on this forum ....there is a picture of the same model ( model-103) except that one has a difference name....same goodies on it.
  7. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

LIKTOSHOOT..............

If you know 358 Winchester.....this was his gun before I got it from him. He's a friend of mine and we shoot together on Tuesdays. I know you don't know me....I'm really not on the forum that must.....But I do know Guns and have had some of the best. I'm getting older and it's getting harder for me to get around
    even on the forum.....Wish I could sit more and etc. But I can't or I would have been on the forum more often.
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

Ok, what is it? As I started this post--it seems this gun is not factory, or is it??

If not factory, it is the best smithing job I have ever seen.
    The high polish of the frame and barrel match the rib 100%
    Matte ribbed on front strap and back strap-high polish every where else, top of rib sight matte matching the other matte in color and texture, bluing color high polish also with finishing lines running identical to the square barrel with recessed crown. It mates perfectly to the barrel with no over hang-had to be made for this gun. To perfect not to have been, will post some pictures tomorrow.

Until then

LTS
  9. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

LIKETOSHOOT,

With a complete serial numebr I should be able to find the catalog number for the gun when it was shipped and te day month and year of shipment.

I would wager that your serial number iis higher than 1,250,925 since a quick check doesn't show any Supermatic Citations below that in the 1,250,xxx range.

The majority of the Citations between 1,250,925 and 1,250,999 are catalog number 9263, the 5.50" bull barrel version with a few catalog number 9260, the 6.75" space gun barrel version, scattered within the range at random.

This gun is from mid 1962 and there were no ribbed barrel mmodels in High Standards lineup at that time the first ribbed barrel gun was the Victor in 1971.

The polish on the Citations was not the high polish of the Trophy of that era.

High Standard did not use Bomar ribs.

KIMBERMAN,

Your quote is from my website and is generally up to date but the serial number ranges are continiously being revised. The revision dates are poated at the bottom of the pages.

John Stimson
    www.histandard.info
  10. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Kimber, you have two of these with the "Bo-Mar" solid rib sights???
    ...as in like a shotgun rib, running the full length of the top of the pistol?

LTS

I have them with adjustable sights.
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

Ok Victor, here you go......but in the mean time, here`s what else you will find in the pictures. It does not have a rear sight---nor was there a provision for one. While it does have one for the front sight and the appearance of grooves on either side. Now the serial number matches the frame and slide, but again......no provision for the rear sight.

Pictures below.

LTS

Attached Files:

12. LIKTOSHOOT

Top view rib, held by three hex head screws. The polishing lines on the barrel match the sides of the sight, as does the bluing/color.

LTS

Attached Files:

13. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The top of the slide has been milled and the rear sight mount provisions are therefore gone. The barrel has had both the sides and the bottom milled - probably to compensate for the added weight of the rib. High Standard never milled the bottom of the barrels - they did mill the sides of the barrel of the Victor but that was 9 years later. The dove tail for the original high standard front sight is still viisible - If this were a production gunm they wouldn't have spent the time to machine a front sight dovetail for a ribbed gun.

That is certainly a nice conversion - perhaps done by Bomar . It is not High Standard factory original.

Al Dinan and John Giles were doing rib additions to High Standards even before Bomar and Jim Clark All of these were conversions offered for target shooters of the time and done by master gunsmiths. A Giles 107 series High Standard just brought big money ar the Rock Island auction last weekend - Giles comversions are still in great demand and are highly thought of. Giles made his own barrels ribs and sights. Giles guaranteed his High Stadanrd conversions to group 3/4" or better at 50 yards.
  14. LIKTOSHOOT

Let`s just say this one may be different. It falls within-less than 30 above your starting serial number. The barrel could have only been milled from the bottom if there. The right side of the barrel shows the original:

"HIGH STANDARD MFG. CORP.
    HAMDEM, CONN. U.S.A."

Of course much smaller in print and on two lines.

If this is a Bo-Mar custom and I would have to believe a custom from somewhere, the work is just to darn good to be a run of the mill gun maker. It is all but a work of art, custom or otherwise. Will shoot it tomorrow and see what it does. The cost of the work far excedes the value/cost that is for sure. Thanks so much for the help----targets to follow.

LTS
  15. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

LIKTOSHOOT............. I'm glad you put up pictures of your H\S 103- I hate to get in between both of you.........but your Gun is not Factory standard.

Mine is that's below : There is a differencs in guns ( mine has adjustable sights on rear of gun)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006