HSM Rifle Ammunition

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by merbeau, Dec 2, 2011.

1. merbeau

merbeau New Member

Hi

Has anyone had any experience with HSM ammunition. I just recently purchased a box of their gold selection with Berger bullets in 243 and 25-06 calibers. The reviews at Midway were very good for this product.

I purchased this ammuntion as an interim until I can obtain the correct dies, etc. for reloading.

I did a search on HSM and there were a couple of articles about several handguns blowing up with their ammunition.

Thanks

Robert
  2. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

I personally dont have any experience with that brand of ammunition.

Before I would write it off as dangerous, there are many things that can cause guns to blow. Did the person firing that ammo have a clean barrel? It very well could have been leaded very bad to the point that it would cause excessive pressure. Have they been shooting hot reloads, causing undo wear and tear on the gun.

To me, unless there are detailed accounts of guns "blowing up", along with the condition of it before the occurance, due to the use of that ammo, I would take it with a grain of salt.
  3. merbeau

merbeau New Member

Thanks for replying.

The article was on a lot of ammunition purchased from HSM that was +P and I am not sure if the firearm it was used in was rated for +P ammunition.

Nothing for rifle ammunition has come up on any search.
  4. Bigr Bang Thry

Bigr Bang Thry Member

I bought a bunch of HSM ammo a couple years ago for my 7mm Mag. 139gr soft points. They shoot better than ANY other factory ammo I've tried in that gun. The brass is stamped PMC, and I'm pretty sure that the bullets are SIERRA. It shoots so well infact, that I will be modeling handloads after them. I've been developing a heavier hunting round for moose and caribou, but the light 139 is perfect for local critters such as whitetails. I would not hesitate to try any other HSM offering. Many times things that you read need to be questioned as to it's source and validity. ANY idiot that puts the wrong ammo in an unsafe gun can put up a post that blames the whole incident on some "bad ammo". Due diligence may be reassuring. Check with HSM, and find out if there were ever any recalls. I doubt that there were, but by checking, you'll know for yourself. Next step is to shoot one round and look for signs of pressure. After those two steps, discard what you've read as bunk.
  5. merbeau

merbeau New Member

Thanks Bigr Bang Thry

I just finished sorting my rounds by total weight and the statistics look good. The mean was 351.8 with a standard deviation of 0.74 grains. The loads ranged from 350.9(1 round)to 353.8(2 rounds) with the rest around 359.1 to 359.5 which will be my starting point.

Will proceed by checking with HSM and then look for the obvious pressures signs. Glad to hear you had good luck with this ammo. I have read other articles attesting to its accuracy. Hopefully my rifle will like the ammo.