Hue City RVN

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

SixTGunr
    (3/23/02 4:43:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hue City RVN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amongst the Armed Forces of the United States there has always been competitiveness and differences' amongst the branches of service but when ya get down to brass tacks it has always been my observations that (especially in conflicts where combat is going on) it is a "team effort" and no matter what one was blessed with as far as ones military occupational status went or no matter which branch of the service you had served in ... We all pulled together and alwyas managed to get the job done (shy of having the reigns tugged on by the politicians/government).

Me personally ... I was blessed (?) with one of them combat type MOS' so they handed me this 23 pound machine gun and all the ammo I could carry. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that no matter what they teach you (and most of it is worthwhile) the second you step up into the spotlight of combat ... It's a whole new ballgame and you had better play to win and there is NO overtime involved unless you wish to consider the next confrontation which could occur at any given second.

Having only spent three days in the Imperial City commonly known as Hue, which was once the capitol of all Vietnam, I saw more fighting in those three days then I did when you add up the total of 8 months I was in country and there was a fair share of jungle fighting before moving into Hue. Those three miserable days had to be the highlight of my Vietnam tour and after all ... It should be, being that I left a gonad laying on the banks of the Phu Cat Canal, compliments of an NVA 82mm mortar round. I have so many stories and in time will share some of them with you if you so desire. Of course you know most of us Viet Vets .... There are some that I wish to simply hold within and will take to my grave with me.

I am by no means a hero of any kind .... In my eyes the real heros are my Brothers and Sisters whose names are on the black granite wall. I was simply a 19 year old combat Marine doing my job alongside so many young and brave others. I must admit that it took many many years of silence and frustration before finally opening up to others and I am glad that I found that opportunity as I truly believe it has helped me in my life. My only regert is that I did not take advantage of this scenario at an earlier time in my life but then thats life I guess. Ya'll have a great weekend. Six

[​IMG]

Marines don't hide ..... They take cover ..... But sometimes enough is enough and this 5TH Marine Regiment Gunner just decided he'd had enough. Time to get nasty! Hue City '68 TET Offensive
    [​IMG]

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/23/02 7:57:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hue City RVN
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gunner, tell your stories--there are folks who want to hear them, and there are others who need to hear them. There are some stories that some folks will not accept---for whatever reason they will rebel against your wanting to tell them---I think it is because it makes them feel uncomfortable. Tell them in whatever manner and fashion that you feel comfortable with---it may take awhile for the comfort zone to surround you---until you feel a distinct, inward acceptance. Let me tell you what happened to me Six---I didn't do anything for the longest time---talk or write about those times. There still seemed to be a block for me about how some of our citizens treated the Vietnam War and it's veterans. Movies like PLATOON and FULL METAL JACKET did nothing to ease those feelings---it was as if I wanted to detach myself from those times. Then Tom Brokaw did his book THE GREATEST GENERATION. I personally corresponded with Tom because one of the charactors in his book, Mr. Nao Takasugi from Oxnard, California had been a plumbing customer and personal friend of mine. Mr. Brokaw sent me a personal letter and encouraged me to tell some of my stories---I haven't stopped since. Sometimes when I finish a story and read it back to my wife for her critique, I bawl like a damn baby and I don't know why. Weeping has becomee as much a part of my life as misspelled words and bad puncuation. The same thing Gunner---some folks readily accepted my writing and told me so---others actually told me I was full of shit---they inferred I had not done all the things I had told them about. I think I asked you recently Guns if you may have know a young marine named Murphy. He was wounded at the City---same thing---I think I told you of his wounds also--he married, however would have never been able to sire children because of his wounds. Good Luck with your stories Gunner---tell them about the sights and the sounds--try to describe that down deep fear that you can smell in yourself and in others near you---that smell of a gutt-shot---that smell in the air that sharpnel makes---the blindess you experience when you look up into an illumination round floating down and then try to get your night vision back---those shooting stars inside your eyeballs. Tell us Gunner---maybe the crack of that incoming impacting may sound different to your ears. We know the sound Six---there are some that only know the sounds Hollywood makes for us. Good Luck--treat yourself fairly Guns. Wilborn

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/23/02 8:26:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hue City RVN
    Hey Six, JW is right, PLEASE do tell your stories, we
    need to hear them as much as you need to tell them!

Thank You & Welcome Home!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/24/02 11:39:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Please do SixTGunr tell your stories. I had always hoped dad would but he never did and now being 71 and having moved to Florida I doubt any of the family will ever hear them.

It is through the eyes of those who were there and made it back home that the younger generation will really learn from - not the history books that twist things to fit society.

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/24/02 3:06:36 pm)
    How very true Ms. T. about the history twisting things to fit the world situation at the time---how very recently, the powers-to-be wanted to slant the flag raising at the WTC on 9-ll to reflect how they thought it should be---I'm glad the fire-fighters fought back. The Japanese slanted historical facts from WWII to fit their desires---next time you observe a bumper sticker that recalls the Hell of Hiroshima, it should be accompanied with one telling the reader to Remember Pearl Harbor. It's a shame your father don't or won't tell his stories---my oldest daughter Carmen is about your age I believe (she is 45) and she thouroughly enjoys reading what I write now---she even forgives the bad spelling and the raunchy words I use. Wilborn

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/24/02 6:28:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Wilborn, raunchy words would be beneath my father (sigh). He is what we would call a "stuffed shirt". You know the officer type right? Don't get me wrong his men liked him since he would not have them do something he couldn't do, but between over 30 years in the Navy and then another 12-16 years as an attorney (both private practice and prosecutor) he is just to up there to be reached.

Only thing I can do is wish him well in his life down in Florida - it's doubtful I'll see him again in this lifetime even though he is still relatively healthy.

Still I have many friends who at times do not mind relating bits and pieces of that time to me. For that I am thankful.

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/24/02 8:18:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Good post, gunner!
    Please continue with more whenever possible.
    I got to the Delta in time for Tet 69. It was busy, but not as bad as 68.
    God bless you.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/25/02 7:53:39 am)
    Ms. T., why would you not see your father again in this lifetime.. ? There was such a message of finality as I read your words. I must tell you T., some of the most rowdy and raunchy people I was asscoiated with during my military career were officers---our officer corp were the CEC type (civil engineer corp) and I would liken most of them to 'construction workers'---you know the 'salt of the earth' type. Was your Dad with
    JAG when he was in the Navy? Our Seabee officers were gentleman maybe in their wives and lady friends eyes only---have seen many of black eyes and bruised egos at morning formations and the men in the ranks admired them for the most part because of it. Best regards, Wilborn

Edited by: high2fly at: 3/25/02 7:56:13 am

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/25/02 8:53:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Wilborn, believe it or not he was a pilot in the Navy. As for the finality in my statement, well Florida is a long ways away for me to go someplace and it's rare that dad tries to contact me even when we lived in the same town (I didn't even know he and his wife were moving to Florida till my brother told me). That was his chioce and I respect that. So if he comes up here to visit it will only be by luck that I'll find out.

Trust me on the stuffed shirt part at least as far as many people are concerned. Or maybe it's his overly dry sense of humor that makes one think he is. Hard to tell sir, very hard to tell.

high2fly
    *Senior Chief Of Staff*
    (3/25/02 3:22:53 pm)
    Sometimes fathers fear the expectations of their daughters---please let me try to explain Ms. T. I was raised on the farm and in my boyhood, hard work took the place of good manners and the nice things of life. Thank the Lord that lifestyles changed and ways of making a decent living was better in these latter years. I suppose that I felt I never measured up to the male friends and husbands that my daughter chose so I hung back, maybe even a bit ashamed of who I was when she and they would come around. For long periods of time, I wouldn't get in touch with my kids---it wasn't that I didn't love them and all that---well, maybe I'm doing a bad job of offering up and explanation, when in fact it kinda boils down to a fear of rejection. Families are indeed vexing---I can't begin to tell you the joy I feel when Carmen proclaims that one of my stories meet with her approval---try and convince me that isn't strange. I surely don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but I can speak with the some skills and the basic knowledge of a father---perhaps reluctance or maybe that fear thing---daughters can be pretty formidible at times. Carmen did some investigative reporting in the mid-80's and was awarded a quite prestigious award (Peabody)---she did campaigne (sp) for Presidential candidate George McGovern back then--she was married to a Mexican-American lawyer who blazed some trails of his own in the California polictical arena.
    Yeah, Dads can be intimidated by daughters and daughters accomplishments---maybe we don't check in as often as we would want to because of the fear thing. You are right Ms. T.---none of my business---sorry for rambing on so. Wilborn

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (3/26/02 9:04:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Wilborn, you keep rambling as I don't mind and I enjoy it as well.

You may be right to a degree (though in this case it would be because of the so called low class boyfriends and exhusband I had). Ah well it's water under the bridge and I've slowly gotten used to it.

He keeps in touch with my little brother and sister so at least he cares and has some contact. And in all reality that's what matters I think.

Winter11
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/27/02 2:39:28 pm)
    Six... everyone here pretty much said it... but, I'll say it too... your stories are extremely valuable. If not to teach those who weren't there, as well as those who weren't even born yet, such as me. But, that's purely a selfish way to look upon your telling of them. I've been told time and again that talking about things and whatever is on your mind is good for your soul. Now, while the things that are on my mind cannot compare with what your memory holds, I suppose that saying holds some truth for you as well. So, at your discretion of course, tell your stories and speak your mind.

Always Faithful

haggai69
    (4/2/02 11:25:52 am)
    I'll second that Winter. Let the story telling continue...