humidity versus reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by obiewan57, Apr 28, 2009.

1. obiewan57

obiewan57 New Member

If I store my components in a controlled air environment then use them to load rifle ammo in a shed where humidity might be high at time of reloading, then store the loaded ammo back in a controlled place, will I have any problems.

In other words, at time of reloading, if humidity is high, does it cause any problems?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

NO, you should not have any problems with that. I do the exact same thing, only I leave some powder in my Dillon powder measures in the shed all the time. I do have a packet of silica gel in the powder measure, though.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

gdmoody:

Don't you find that when powder is left in the powder measure that the plastic reservoir discolors badly? How do you know what powder was left in the powder measure? Many look alike when in the measure.

The safe way to handle powder is to keep it stored in the canister it came in. Only have one powder canister on the bench at one time. And when the reloading session is over put the powder back into its canister. If the session has to be carried over to another day, a reloader should put the powder back into the canister it came out of.

You can do whatever you please but a new reloader should be aware that safety is first and powder is easy to misidentify without it being in its canister. Others do as you do but it probably could lead to a problem for someone not as organized as you are. I think it better and safer to always put the powder back into the canister at the end of the day's reloading if the session is not yet complete. It only takes a minute or two more.

Safety first!

LDBennett
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1 I basically use only one powder, but to prevent any problems as to what powder I have in the powder measure, I put it all back in the can it came out of!
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I haven't had the Dillon long enough to see any discoloration in the plastic. I do keep track of what powder is in the measure. Just a little note saying 5.5 grains of titegroup stuck to the measure lets me know what powder is in it and what charge it is set for. Just a tiny bit of common sense will tell you to mark your containers so that you will know, not guess or try to remember what you used last.

That being said, you are absolutely correct about the safety issues. He asked, I answered honestly.

And, if you say that the powder will discolor my $100 powder measures, then I will go out and put the powder back into the containers, Thanks for the info.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

gdmoody:

I have two Dillon powder measure plastic reservoirs. Each has been used for about ten years (first one for ten years then the other for ten years). Both have never been used to store powder, and were emptied every day during a reloading session that lasted more than one day. Both are discolored (black haze) but not so much that you can't see the powder level, but definitely not anywhere close to clear. Leave the powder in there for days and days and I think it will only get worse quicker.

Then as said earlier there is the safety issue.

LDBennett