Hungarian R-9 H-power clone

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

TimBorg
    (1/11/02 7:38:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hungarian R-9 H-power clone
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Top: Hungarian arms works R-9 double action, decock lever, half-cock feature 14 round magazine

Bottom: Hi-Power IMI/ Kareen Israeli made standard P35/Hi-Power configuration.

What can you tell me about either model, both are great shooters out to 25 meters so far.

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/11/02 9:39:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hungarian R-9 H-power clone
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well we both know what they are cloned after and both are good quality. I prefer the Hungarian though. These are good examples of quality shooters.

AntiqueDr
    (1/11/02 9:43:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hungarian R-9 H-power clone
    You're going to find more machining marks in either gun than the Browning product, but the price reflects that too. The FEG gun is actually more closely related to the S&W 59 than the Hi-Power, but it feels good in the hand.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

HondoJohn6508
    (1/11/02 11:34:52 pm)
    I am impressed with the FEG P9R. I have owned mine since 1997 and was purchased to obtain my CCW permit in Texas. I have fed it about 5 different types of ammo and have never had a failure to feed of any kind. In the shooting part of the CCW I shot a 249/250 and when I recently renewed my license I shot a 248/250. It has a natural point for me and I think it is a good pistol and a good buy. I don't claim to be a good pistol shooter, I much prefer rifles but I sure like this particular weapon. It is dependable and accurate. What more can you ask?

Bob In St Louis
    (1/12/02 9:11:37 am)
    I have owned several different styles of FEG 9mm pistols (both single and double action). I love these guns! Frankly, the finish on the ones I had were nearly as good as an original Browning, they function flawlessly, and were accurate also! FEG also makes some nice 380 autos (PA-63) that are fine guns. Frankly, I have seen some good stuff come out of FEG!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Zigzag2
    (1/12/02 11:18:38 am)
    Hey Bob In StL, I'm curious about that PA-63. I've seen them for $125.00, sure seems reasonable. Have you had a chance to check 1 out? I'd like to have a little more information.

Bob In St Louis
    (1/12/02 10:51:55 pm)
    The PA-63 is a copy of the Walther PP, and for a short while in the mid 1980s, they even brought in a few smaller ones that were copies of the PPK. I have owned four of them: 3 in the PP size, and one in the PPK size. These were the two tone black and silver ones. All of them functioned flawlessly, and I still have one that is my most trusted carry gun.

Zigzag2
    (1/13/02 8:32:26 am)
    Bob, I've noticed several on-line in the 2-Tone black&silver. What is the finish? They are being offered with an extra mag., holster and cleaning kit. The works for $125.00. I've been considering getting 1. For the money what the heck.
    Also looking at the sig 230 with the lanyard ring. New in box $299.00 a heck of a lot more. What do you think of this particular Sig?
    I'm kinda' a sig person. The 226 and 229 are fine weapons.

TimBorg
    (1/13/02 11:36:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Parts availability for Model R-9
    The Pistol pictured was imported by the now defunct Interarms. It is marked "Hungarian Arms Works-Hungary"
    Serial#OR-92XX. Is this the same manufacturer as "Fegyvergyan" FEG Pistols Budapest, Soroksariut, Hungary ? Is this the same model as the FEG P9R?

If I am going to keep it I want to know where I can aquire Parts to keep it going. Not that this is currently an issue, the pistol functions flawlessly.

Thanks TimBorg

TimBorg
    (1/13/02 11:50:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hi-Power IMI/ Kareen
    Kareen Israel... J.O. Arms Hou.Tex... J.O.Israel Arms & Ammunition Ltd. Serial# IAA-07XX

This pistol is very similar to Israeli contract FN manufacture guns I've seen. One FN (short Rib top of slide) and this Kareen major components interchanged, (slide and barrel interchanged on frames) Also The IMI Kareen will interchange major components with a FN P35
    That has Nazi Waffen marks. So.... Will I be able to order FN-Browning parts to repair this gun, if the need were to arise later? Any information about this gun would be appreciated.

Thanks, TimBorg

Bob In St Louis
    (1/13/02 9:53:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hi-Power IMI/ Kareen
    The PA-63 is a black anodized coat and stainless-alloy finish. I really don't know much about the SIGs.

I believe the P9R is the same group as the FEG Hungarian. Interarms is now defunct, but someone else is still importing the FEG line, and parts should still be readily available.

Zigzag2
    (1/17/02 5:16:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hi-Power IMI/ Kareen
    Hey Bob, check this out. This morning I seen a PA-63 for $99.00. I was curious about he finish on the gun, and to see 1 after the fact, I was amazed that the seller stated it had a "COPPER" color frame. My goodness, the weapon looked a 100 years old with that "nice" brown patina look.