1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hunger Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ampaterry, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

A while back, Dicks in Clarksville said they have had quite a run on archery equipment since this movie was released.
    Cool, I thought.
    We try to pick out the GOOD ones, then buy the DVD when it is released so we can enjoy it over and over for less money than seeing it in a theater.

So we pre-ordered it from Wal-Mart on line, and got it when it was released.
    Then, we waited until our son and his wife were over to watch movies - (we get together every other week to eat and watch movies) - so we could all see it the first time together.

This was a big disappointment.
    From all the hype, I expected a really great movie - but this was mediocre at best; poor writing, lackluster acting, special effects that were more likely to bring laughter than amazement.

It seems to me that this movie had a specific budget, and spent a disproportionate amount of it on advertising.

But that is just my opinion.
  2. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

It's a 3-part series. The movie focuses more on the game, but the book is more in-depth. Books 2 and 3 lead to a revolution which throws the regime out.
  3. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the books were written for teenyboppers. No different than Twilight and Harry Potter. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Granted it was kinda ruined by the POS Woody
  4. ampaterry

OK - hey, I did not know the background.

So we can expect two more of these - and it might make more sense then?

Will give it another chance!
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Terry, read the books. They are written for teens and the writing is not much better than the movie, but I liked the plot enough. If you think you are going to watch the other movies, it'll be worth reading the books. I doubt the next movies will do them enough justice to make them make sense. I borrowed them from my mom and a friend on my kindle and read all three of them.
  6. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

I bought all three of the books, based on the press releases .... read all three books,
    looking for a story to develope .... gave the books away, don't even want to waste
    the shelf space to store them .
  7. ampaterry

I have a reading list as long as my arm, so I will probably not read the books either -
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are three books in the Hunger Games series. I can download the MP3 audio book versions from my local library and listen to them commuting to work. Will do so in due course...
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Your experience with this movie reminds me of a DVD movie I once got; I kept watching hoping it would get better. It didn't.
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I don't know what I want to watch, I pop in "Shooter" and enjoy it immensely. Maybe it's the bourbon that helps.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Doesn't look that interesting to me.
  12. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I do not get the majority of Americans. All the libs take there kids to see this and sales of archery stuff has surged. If this movie had used a firearm instead of a bow it would have been vilified by the same people who love it? In the end it is just a movie about kids killing kids.
  13. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

But thats ok. See this is a futuristic movie with no guns. A gun free future, where a all powerful government suppresses the outlying districts. Where they force those to fight to the death for a reality show. A perfect liberal future.
  14. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I tried to read the book. I made it two paragraphs before I had to go PUKE it was so bad.

Though I loved all 7 Harry Potter books and the movies as well.
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That is the best spot on description of the movie and books I have seen yet.