The Firearms Forum banner

hunten crow

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  TANGLEFOOT 
#1 ·
i was just siting here thinking is there any of yall out younder hunt crows to, i use my .17HMR to shoot mine with,what do yall hunt them with if ya dont mind me asking?i picked me up one of then their fake ones that call them in for around 25$ and it works pretty good ,but i think corn works better

#2 ·
I have found that a .22 works well for me. I don't hunt them any more but when I did I used a fake owl up in the top of a tree. Shot them with a 12ga shot gun when they came to harrass the owl. Now days when I do shoot one it's with the .22, when I catch them on the ground around my place.

#9 ·
I dont like crows. They always roost above my deer blind and tell the deers im there.. Damn right I shoot em and I do it with whatever i have on me at the time..

#10 ·
i like the 22/250 best , fast , flat trajectory for a good while , great hits !!

sold my .17's (all of em!!!)

i have been playing with the idea of a block of tannerite on top of one of the fence posts the crows pick at the mineral/salt blocks the farmers put out for the stock , and i seen one picking at a tannerite target the same way a while back , another idea i gotta make happen , 1 lb block of tannerite under a crow .. yeah

#14 ·
Growing up we used to walk a powerline at the base of a mountain, picking them off as we saw them in the trees. Always used .22LR. Started with the Winchester 67 and later graduated into my Marlin 39. That was back in the forties, guys..... :)

#16 ·
I've never tried it but I hear that if you put a, WHITE, stuffed toy cat in a tree, it will bring in crows really good. Anyone ever tried it?
Don't know about the stuff cat thingey, but the Owl does work. As to shooting the first crow, or waiting for a group, I shoot them as they come. Mostly they don't come as singles, but in small groups of two, three, or more.

#17 ·
For anyone interested, they have an owl at wal mart that is designed to sit on a post, $10. It will work if you attach a string to the top of the head, and hang it in the top of a tree. If you are hunting in an open area, put up a post, or just sit it anywhere up off the ground.

#19 ·
i like the 22/250 best , fast , flat trajectory for a good while , great hits !!

sold my .17's (all of em!!!)

i have been playing with the idea of a block of tannerite on top of one of the fence posts the crows pick at the mineral/salt blocks the farmers put out for the stock , and i seen one picking at a tannerite target the same way a while back , another idea i gotta make happen , 1 lb block of tannerite under a crow .. yeah
Jack, you have to video that!:D

#23 ·
running round with Aboriginals here i've eaten most birds , including carrion eaters , and can honestly state theres nothing out there that tastes like chicken , it may have the texture but trust me , chooks turkeys ducks are the best nature has to offer , we chose well

some parrots and such are quite nice sorta like quail but a bit different again , and they cook up way nicer well prepared and in a camp oven rather than tossed on a open fire for a few minutes as my mates like

#24 ·
yeah it is strange how ya always here it taste like chicken,then when ya do it is the futherst thing from it ,i have ate a lot of things but so far the only one that taste like chicken is the chicken,that reminds me of a few weeks ago one of my roosters got out and my dogs got after him and was chasing himaround the yard and my little girl whent out to get the dogs and left the back door open and the dogs chased it right in the door we had the feathers flying in here till we cought him ,it was one of the funniest things i have ever seen and needless to say we had chicken that night for dinner

#25 ·
We don't have crows, but ravens come in a time or two with fox pro. Kinda like the old birds movie until they figure out they been had; those ravens are smarter than most people. Nobody in Ak ever shoots ravens, all the Indians think the ravens are their long lost relatives, so the ravens do as they want.

One of the locals hand raised a couple ravens years back. They became like aggressive watch dogs, dive bombing visitors a couple hundred yards from his house and were much more destructive than say crows. They finally went back with their wild relatives to the chagrin/relief of their adoptive parents, but would visit them from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.