The Firearms Forum banner

Hunter Shoots World Record Grizzly Bear--Picture

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jstgsn 
#1 ·

7 May 2014, 5:26 AM PDT

While on a moose hunt outside of Fairbanks, Alaska, 35-year-old Larry Fitzgerald came across some massive bear tracks, followed them, and killed the second-largest grizzly bear on record.

Fox News reports that Fitzgerald killed the bear "from 20 yards with one shot to the neck from his Sako 300 rifle."

Although the bear was taken in September, Fitzgerald just learned that it set a record. The Boone and Crockett Club determined "only a grizzly skull found by an Alaska taxidermist in 1976 was bigger than that of the bear Fitzgerald bagged."

Fitzgerald's bear stood "nearly 9 feet tall...with a skull measuring 27 and 6/16ths inches."

The Alaska Department of Fish and Wildlife uses the hunting of grizzly bears to keep the bear population in check and to "control the bears' preying on moose."

http://tinyurl.com/njof4ve

See less See more
#4 ·
These are truly awesome creatures.

We stopped at a little trading post on the Steese highway one day, and the owner asked us if we were camping out. We said we were, and he opened the door to his living area, which was located in the same log structure as the store. He pointed to the back wall, which was mostly GONE. He said a grizly had tried to get in the previous night, and had torn those logs loose - he shot him several times, but did not kill him, only made him leave. He told us to be real careful, because the bear was wounded and mad, which kept me from sleeping the rest of the trip -
I noticed in his living room a big gray pelt draped over his couch.
I asked Judy what kind of bear that was, he heard me and said "Yeah, that was a pretty big wolf." Then he lifted the head to show us that it was, indeed, a wolf big enough to cover the whole couch.

Everything in Alaska is bigger than you can possibly imagine -

#7 ·
IMO, if he was worth his salt, he should have felt obligated to get some of his neighbors together, find the bear, and kill it. I thought that was the law of the land with hunters with scruples??? Kinds sucks, IMO, that he felt no responsibility to kill a bear in pain, and a bear that may kill a human(s).

#6 ·
Population is so darned sparse that the animals up there have no - as in ZERO - fear of man.
Driving to the base in the morning, I would OFTEN have to stop and honk to get the moose to move off the road - ZERO fear!

#8 ·
Alaska in the mid 60's was a very sparse place.
He could have rounded up every neighbor in a ten mile radius, and he would still be alone.
He did what he could; he warned people that stopped at his post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.