Hunting ammo and rifle question

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Greg, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Once again, thanks for your inputs.

Marlin, thanks also for your opinion, which I value. I did see some good reviews, and some good comments about the Remington 710. However, there were many more negative, and now there is also a safety recall on them.

While I like the Remington 700 models, I think I have narrowed down my choice. The Savage has a hunting package with rifle, scope, rings, and sling for $500.00 on the 30-06. This is a good value, especially with their new trigger weight pull option on them and safety design. The 110 bolt action is acceptable as well, but I don't like how close it comes to the scope.

Then I made a big mistake. I tried a 2-5-2 Browning Stalker with a quality Japanese SS barrel with the A-bolt. I can action it about as fast as I can move my hand-sweet, smooth, and solid. It also doesn't get anywhere close to the scope. Reminds me of a rifle my uncle had that I always liked. My practical side says the Savage. But...man, I wish I had some more money for the Browning. However, to package it out the same would be almost double the money. This is a gun you could keep for life. We'll see what side of my brain wins out. Thanks again for your inputs. Either way, it will be a decent to very good rifle. Life is good.
  2. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

My choice would be a Remington 700 SS in 300 win mag,
  3. Cliff

Cliff New Member

I have in the NEF line a .223 and .243. Fairly accurate guns for short barrelled as they are.
  4. 2Bits

2Bits New Member

Greg, I believe that there are certain things that must be addressed first off before any purchase is made. Is this a first time hunter or shooter without much experience in shooting rifles, from the shoulder in off hand situations?

How much recoil can this person take and still be able to be accurate with the weapon of choice at 200 yards? Nothing is cut and dried until all the questions are answered up front. Is this rifle for you or a sister etc?

I can tell you that in most cases the .270 Caliber (using 160 grn bullet) or the .308 Winchester (180 grn bullet) would be minium for use on elk or moose in my book. The bones on a moose are near 4 times that of a good whitetail deer. Elk are harder to bring down than moose, ever though they are not as large in comparison and it takes a good well constructed bullet too.

In Rifles I favor the Winchester model 70 pre-64 action or the Ruger model 77. Now both these rifles have large Mauser type Extractors for pulling out stuck cases in the chamber without a problem like Remington extractors etc.
    If money is tight, then by all means take a good look at the Savage Arms rifles. You get a lot of rifle for the money!
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  5. DK76

DK76 New Member

I'll have to vote for the 30-06 as well. Tolerable recoil for most folks. Incredible range of bullet weights and styles. My good hunting buddies use 300 Winchester and Weatherby mags and they kill no quicker than my 30-06. It's true, the 30-06 is not new nor flashy, but it's age is one of the positives. The 30-06 is very popular so most 30 caliber bullets are designed to operate best within the velocity threshold of the 30-06. Ammunition and bullet makers have had nearly 100 years to work on the 30-06. It just works!
  6. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Well Greg, it depends on yer he-manlieness.

Some would want a 300 mag, but others could not handle it well enough because of the recoil and associated flinching issues.

Some would go with a versitle round that you can load for varmits and big game AKA 30-06 or .270.

Some men would use a sharp stick (I'm talkin archery, not spears), and I also bow hunt.

I would go with an '06 or 270 for all of the reasons stated by others. Plus for me, I could afford to shoot more and practice more because the ammo is much more affordable than other suitable calibers.

Thanks for your question. It generated a good debate.

ISB
  7. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    I have to go along with the '06. And I stay away from belted magnums like they were the plague. Two reasons...recoil and cost of ammo. The '06 has been around for 100 years, commercially loaded ammo in a large variety of bullet weights/types is readily available, and it has proven the test of time.

As for the rifle...Savage builds a good one. So does Winchester, Remington, Sako, CZ, Howa, etc. Find the one that feels good to you. Weight, LOP, action smoothness, etc. And don't scrimp on the optics. Get a good sling, and if you are going to shoot it a lot...a recoil pad is a MUST!

John
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

I really like the .375H&H cartridge; .30-06 Ballistics, with a lot more bullet/energy.
    You likely have no idea how much work it takes, to find a load that 5 rifles all like; I did not, when I started. Be that as it may,when push comes to shove, nobody's gonna say "too much gun", only, nice Buck!
    Shoot the biggest you can RELIABLY handle, every day, every hunt.
    You'll never come up short, on power, and will likely learn a lot about anatomy, as well!
    The icing on the cake is the time when, being patient enough for the "stars to align", you kill 2, or even 3, game animals with one bullet!
    For those of you, who are recoil sensative, an apology, in advance. For the rest of us,who know that "this will hurt a bit, once", Use all you can handle, and leave the rest, at home!
  9. Indian Creek 1

Indian Creek 1 Member

I would have to go along with CountryGunsmith on this one. After over 50 years of hunting I have come to love a caliber that is older than I am. The 35 Whelen can just about do it all from varmits to a lot of the large african game. altho ammo may not be as easy to find as the 30-06 , a handloader has a choice of bullet weights from 150 gr.to 300 gr. in jacketed bullets and an even broader choice in cast bullets. I pick the 35 whelen.