The Firearms Forum banner

Hunting areas

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  CCHolderinMaine 
#1 ·
So I've been looking around lately for a good place to go hunting near me but it seems like every good spot is posted, or the land owner won't let you hunt it. I saw a beautiful buck about 30 minutes ago on someones land that probably didn't even realize it was there! There were some good pole lines but in the open areas there were houses within 100 yards. Any suggestions to approaching land owners that have posted land? We have any deer permits here and the region I have one in is the area I just drove through.

#27 ·
I have seen many 4 wheeler tracks and how they tear up the land, especially if it had just rained out. Luckily I havent had to deal with wardens but thats funny how you comment about them. From what we see on North Woods Law, they are pretty efficient. Its cool having another Mainer on here! Do you still hunt? It would be great to meet up with another TFF member!
I have 2 properties here in Maine and I post them both. Not generally for the hunters, but for the people that treat MY private property as THEIR private property. 4 wheelers ripping everything up or some idiot dumping his old tires. It's sad, but people are their own worst enemies. You may have to go up north if you cannot figure out someplace down in southern Maine. Check ME.gov for hunting rules in the unorganized townships. You will find a place to hunt...you might have to drive a bit though...

#28 ·
I'm willing to go up north, the only thing that stinks is that I received an any deer permit for zone 21 here. You must know the area, saco, scarborough, up to around windham and sebago. That is sad that people would use your land like a dump, just to save a dollar. I'm hoping to find some place to be able to at least see a doe.

#29 ·
I have seen many 4 wheeler tracks and how they tear up the land, especially if it had just rained out. Luckily I havent had to deal with wardens but thats funny how you comment about them. From what we see on North Woods Law, they are pretty efficient. Its cool having another Mainer on here! Do you still hunt? It would be great to meet up with another TFF member!
I have only had two personal dealings with Wardens both where unpleasant. One of then has been on the north woods show. Wardens of my youth where pillars of the outdoors they would talk to you help you and befriend you. The wardens of today write tickets and hate people that are out doors. Watch the first season and listen close to what they say on camera. They say more then once that if your in the outdoors your breaking the law you just have not been caught yet. Wardens in Maine have the ability to ignore the 4th. They can enter you property even when posted with out a warrant OR any just cause. You have to notify them personally to keep off your land. If you come by the Maine boards the stories are all over about there arrogance towards the people of Maine. I have NEVER even received a ticket as I do not break the law. The fact that I understand Maine laws pisses them off to no end. Wardens are forbidden on my property both at my home and my blueberry land.

#30 ·
I'm willing to go up north, the only thing that stinks is that I received an any deer permit for zone 21 here. You must know the area, saco, scarborough, up to around windham and sebago. That is sad that people would use your land like a dump, just to save a dollar. I'm hoping to find some place to be able to at least see a doe.
Yes, I'm a bit familiar with the area...I was born in Scarborough. Scarborough is impossible without knowing someone. Shotguns only East of route one as you mentioned. There are lots of dear in Scarborough despite all the development. Your best bet is up around the Windham and Sebago area. Zone 21 is tough if you don't know anybody, it's probably about the most densly populated suburban area in the state, but it is full of deer.

#31 ·
I have only had two personal dealings with Wardens both where unpleasant. One of then has been on the north woods show. Wardens of my youth where pillars of the outdoors they would talk to you help you and befriend you. The wardens of today write tickets and hate people that are out doors. Watch the first season and listen close to what they say on camera. They say more then once that if your in the outdoors your breaking the law you just have not been caught yet. Wardens in Maine have the ability to ignore the 4th. They can enter you property even when posted with out a warrant OR any just cause. You have to notify them personally to keep off your land. If you come by the Maine boards the stories are all over about there arrogance towards the people of Maine. I have NEVER even received a ticket as I do not break the law. The fact that I understand Maine laws pisses them off to no end. Wardens are forbidden on my property both at my home and my blueberry land.
Agree, our wardens have completely changed. They've become the nitpick police.

#32 ·
Yes, I'm a bit familiar with the area...I was born in Scarborough. Scarborough is impossible without knowing someone. Shotguns only East of route one as you mentioned. There are lots of dear in Scarborough despite all the development. Your best bet is up around the Windham and Sebago area. Zone 21 is tough if you don't know anybody, it's probably about the most densly populated suburban area in the state, but it is full of deer.
Yes, and no one wants to trade doe permits into this area either! haha. Ive seen so many deer just traveling through south portland, scarborough, and bow only westbrook. Are there any restrictions in the windham/sebago area? Ive tried to look it up but couldnt find anything.

#33 ·
I've found a lot of land owners shy away because of litter and damage on their land. Some because of liability, afraid of a hunter hurting themself and trying to sue.
If you can gaurantee these won't happen they may be receptive. Offer part of your kill or mabe a little cash. Being posted doesn't always me absolutely NO.
This is why I posted my land. I hunt it myself and don't want anyone else hunting it, but would have no problem with people fishing the ponds if they took care of it. Unfortunately, they do not, so a gate went up. There was so much trash all over the property that after seven years I am still finding litter. Not to mention the stolen game camera, etc. However, if someone came and asked me and promised to take care of it, I would probably give them a shot. Instead, I have people trespassing while I am there! It never ceases to amaze me when the gate is open, and my truck is visible, and people will just drive on in like they own the place.

#34 ·
Yes, and no one wants to trade doe permits into this area either! haha. Ive seen so many deer just traveling through south portland, scarborough, and bow only westbrook. Are there any restrictions in the windham/sebago area? Ive tried to look it up but couldnt find anything.
Generally no. There might be some specific plots that have a local restriction of some sort, but as a general rule all areas in Windham and Sebago are subject to state laws regarding hunting. It would be very tough to hunt anywhere in South Portland or Westbrook. I'm sure some deer are taken out of people's back yards, but you're not "walking the woods" in Westbrook or South Portland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.