The Firearms Forum banner

Hunting areas

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  CCHolderinMaine 
#1 ·
So I've been looking around lately for a good place to go hunting near me but it seems like every good spot is posted, or the land owner won't let you hunt it. I saw a beautiful buck about 30 minutes ago on someones land that probably didn't even realize it was there! There were some good pole lines but in the open areas there were houses within 100 yards. Any suggestions to approaching land owners that have posted land? We have any deer permits here and the region I have one in is the area I just drove through.

#2 ·
IME ME has a lot of different topography and land users but there's always one constant; making friends. If you have your eye on some prime territory the time to visit is springtime. Spend some time and labor to help the landowner to achieve his objectives. You can always make your, (low-keyed) pitch several times if you're around long enough ! ( And big deer/moose are most frequently found in farming areas.) IOW, farmers and other landowners most often take a "long-term view" on many things - not least of which is letting an armed individual on their property. >MW

#3 ·
I've found a lot of land owners shy away because of litter and damage on their land. Some because of liability, afraid of a hunter hurting themself and trying to sue.
If you can gaurantee these won't happen they may be receptive. Offer part of your kill or mabe a little cash. Being posted doesn't always me absolutely NO.

Unless it's leased to a gun club, then you're screwed.

#4 ·
IME ME has a lot of different topography and land users but there's always one constant; making friends. If you have your eye on some prime territory the time to visit is springtime. Spend some time and labor to help the landowner to achieve his objectives. You can always make your, (low-keyed) pitch several times if you're around long enough ! ( And big deer/moose are most frequently found in farming areas.) IOW, farmers and other landowners most often take a "long-term view" on many things - not least of which is letting an armed individual on their property. >MW
That is the key. I know a rancher that does not allow hunters on his property because in the past the hunters that he allowed shot his water tanks. So now it is closed to everybody. But, if you approached a rancher in the spring and donated some basic fencing supplies and donated a few weekends helping him mend fences you would probably have a huntable area for life and a good friend. The rancher just needs to know you care. Oh, and then you will eventually get an offer to buy in on some beef. In the ranchers mind the city people just want and never give so it's nice when they meet a good person that does care. However, there are some rude ranchers out there but that's another story.

#5 ·
I was in Wisconsin this spring and I couldn't believe the deer up there. This was way up north. My freind has a tree farm up there. It is over populated with deer.

#7 ·
Thats a good idea. For now I guess I'll stick with public property. Its bad too because there is a lot of game on the land too. I might go try and talk to them, just feel weird driving up to them and asking haha.
The most they can do is say no.

Or shoot ya for trespassing. :yikes:

#9 ·
One of the main reasons that I moved to Alaska twenty some years back, no joke. That & taxes, freedom, back East control of everything I even tought about doing, and peace of mind.

I watched outta town, even outta state doctors & lawyers buy up all the neighboring farms & woodlots & good hunting acreage. Houses going up on ever 5 acre piece of land along every road; and so much orange, orange everywhere I looked.

Wife one day made the comment that I wasn't happy anymore, and why? She then said that did I want to move out to Idaho (where I went elk hunting every fall). I said, ya know; I'd like us to move west but not Idaho; ALASKA I told her. She was shocked but we were on our way up the ALCAN the following summer and haven't looked back. I live out in the sticks along the Yukon, Orange? I never see another hunter for days and Alaska doesn't believe in orange anyway.

I remember all my so called friends & fellow workers tell me how could I be so dumb for us to quit good jobs mid life and throw it all in for a dream in Alaska. Sad reality is that all those back East friends were too terrified to take a chance to improve their lives in so many ways.

So nowadays, I hunt moose & caribou, can shoot as many bear & wolves as I care to; and the thought of not having a place to hunt; I mean my own watershed that is several miles across and 20 miles long doesn't cross my mind. And what is this orange stuff I hear about?

Just wish I had come here at 18, rather than late 30s. Life goes by too quick, don't let it pass ya by like most do & don't be scared to take the chance. Life is too good not to.

#11 ·
not to be rude but I'm glad you posted this. you see, I am gearing up to deer hunt next year. I want to get all my ducks in a row and learn as much as possible. part of that is finding land and getting permission to hunt it. heck, I'm still learning the ins and outs of waterfowl hunting.

but at least in my state we have tons of public land assuming it isn't already occupied by another hunter.

I have approached a few farmers with mixed results. my issue is getting the nerve to basically ask a stranger if he trusts me to not destroy his property or accidentally kill his family with a stray shot

#12 ·
It has been my experiance that the state wildlife programs go out of their way to identify areas for hunters to hunt. If that is not the case in your area, please type up a little resume for yourself, explaining your training, experience, insurance, and hunting beliefs. Give them your telephone numbers, license plate and vehicle discription, types of weapsons etc. Show them you are a true hunter and have ethics. Offer to help them with any projects they have. Marry their daughter (kidding). I have several farms to hunt, and the farmers know my vehicle, me, and my ethics. It takes work, but it is worth it.

#13 ·
Thats a great idea jstgsn. We have certain areas where you can only use certain weapons (shotgun only areas), and the place I was looking at is one of them. The biggest thing too is they have to feel comfortable with me shooting within 100 yards of their home. In Maine you can't shoot withing 100 yards of a dwelling that is occupied and withing 10 yards of a paved road. I will definitely try your idea. Thanks.

68c15, I'm the same way. I feel weird going up to someone asking to use their land. Most people see "posted" and forget about it, but as long as its not a game reserve, you can hunt it with permission. Its just getting the permission thats the hard part haha.

#14 ·
I have found everything posted to be beneficial to getting a land owner to accept you. Also state how many if any people will be with you; I have found that if you are alone or just a son / daughter works best. Explain the tree stand or blind that you will be using as people seem to destroy trees with steps, climbers and the such. Ask the land owner to show you the allowed areas and don't forget offering to help maintain posted signs helps you and them. Once you get one owner they may help you with others.

#15 ·
If you come out from the big cities they don't want or like you. You need to know some one or hunt public land. Once they get to know you it's ok. So many guys come up from the cities and shot anything than moves. Most don't have a clue as to what they are doing.

There is a lot of good info on this thread. You need to prove to these land owners that you are not one of these type's

#16 ·
This is right down my ally.
I have allot of land both mine and I am part of a co-opp.
We are talking over 200 acres.
I control the co-op land for hunting the other owners are tree hugers who do not want to deal with the hunting side of things.
So I have people asking all the time for permission to hunt on the land.
I have found that there is few different kinds of people who ask.
There is the locals that hunted the land years ago before we(I) owned it and feel that they have the right to hunt because they did before.They come up and just say "I will be hunting this weekend" and when they are told NO they get a attitude and say some pretty nasty stuff.And are the ones that get busted for trespassing because they go on the land anyway.
There are the people that show up ready to hunt with guns in there hands asking "You don't mind if we go hunting on this land do you?"and they are told NO.Some of them go on anyway and get mad when they are handed trespass tickets.
Then there are the ones that don't ask and think that because no one is around they will go on and not get caught.They get busted and get mad and again say some real nasty stuff.
Along with the road hunters who use there truck as a blind and a spot light at night to hunt.They go to jail.
So you see as a land owner we have to put up with allot of BS that gives us a bad taste in our mouths about people who we don't know and trust.
Now lets get into the people who we gave permission to.(That we thought we knew).
I would go into the woods and find trash,built tree stands(we do not allow this because it ruins the trees for harvest)Beer cans around ware they parked,and have seen them taking more then there tags allow,bringing in there friends,SO ON AND SO ON!
They are told to leave and NOT come back!
So because of this it is HARD to give permission to hunt on my land HARD to find someone who shows respect to both the land and the rules.
There are a few that can come back every year these are the ones that showed up long before season(April-May) offered to help post and clear and offered to help around the land even offered to help with the taxes.
They show respect to both me and my land and the rules.
They are always welcome.
I want to keep the deer population in control so I now open my land to first time Hunters and handicapped (Vets) and others this has turned out to be great!
We (me and the hunters allowed to hunt here) take them into the woods set them up push for them and help them(when needed) get the deer, gut it, and load it out.
So I guess what I am saying is don't get mad at the land owner when you are told no. Instead ask how or what you can do to show you are responsible and would appreciate the right to hunt on his land.
Do this long before the season not the week before.
Let the owner get to know you and trust you.
Remember I have worked all my life to get this land(WORKED HARD!) and work hard to keep it.
This is my dream come true and don't want it abused.
But would like to make good friends and hunting partners and like others to enjoy what I have.
With respect.
Mike

#17 ·
Mike that is really awesome, thank you. I can understand it would be hard for people to trust a hunter when you hear of so many things happening or other people who dont respect you or your land. I will hunt public land this year and definitely take your advice for next year. I appreciate all the responses.

#19 · (Edited)
^^^^ Very wise words. Heed 'em, guys.
Wise for some, maybe. Frozen misery for others a certainty. ;) I "might" would visit in the summer.

#20 ·
Think long range.
In the spring or maybe right after hunting season is over, ask if you can "hunt"
with a camera. Then offer to share the pictures with the land owner. It's another
way the land owner can get to know you and will be able to see that you appreciate
things, including the wildlife.
And as Goofy said, take a disabled vet hunting. It is another way to show that you
are not just a "taker". Permission is much easier to get when you are trying to help
someone else.

Ralph

#21 ·
DD, not for everybody, just a trade off for what ya like and what ya can't take.

Can be anywhere, it was Alaska for us; but I sure couldn't imagine living back East as jammed packed, taxed, and just what the future there holds. No joke, I figured out pretty quick how much better my life got. My only regret is that I didn't move up here when I was younger, I cheated myself for many years thinking back East just was how life was for everybody, everywhere; it really ain't reality.

The one thing I did do was bring all of my nephews up here at Christmas when it was minus 25 when they were about ready to get outta high school. Had them out chasing caribou & wolves on snowmachine (all kinds of shootin with ARs). Had them trapping marten, ice fishing for huge lakers, and just out and about getting them stunned at the scenery and pure wilderness. One nephew is now a resident, is a PJ in AK Air Guard based in Anchorage; flys all over the place in black hawks rescuing people when he ain't in Afghan; seeing more of Alaska than I'll ever see. His brother is coming up nx fall, and his wife comes from hunting family; have him excited about killin some grizz, moose, and caribou. I had second nephew up for a few weeks 7-8 years back, he knows what it is. I got to work on the third brother some too. You know, my nephews are young, so good to see them coming here in their early 20s.

#22 ·
As a Maine landowner Who always swore I woudl never post my land is posted. There is a two fold reason for that here in northern Maine. First 4 wheelers they are everywhere and to many with no respect. Second law enforcement the wardens here are useless. You call the local LE's and they say hey that's wardens stuff and refuse to come out and help but they could be here inside 20 min however if you manage to call and get a actual person at the wardens office they may not show up till the next day or later not really much good when there are a dozen asshats running around you land on there 4 wheelers.

So a few years ago I posted. I have friend who still hunt here and if someone come to my door ( though not likely as the long driveway has a gate and several signs indicating that would be a bad idea ) or call me I am happy to let most people hunt.

I am not alone many of the folks around here do the same. As most often is the case a few bad apples ruin the whole batch.

#23 ·
I am not saying to give up on asking just saying that allot depends on how and when you ask.
I am more likely to listen to you if you ask "what can I do to be able to hunt on your land" instead of "can I hunt on your land".
Mike
Mike, you said a lot. I know what you said is true. There are ranchers and farmers who would love to have the deer and the elk thinned, but not at the risk of having their property neglected. Going up in the spring and making a game plan to help them repair fences and shot up water tanks goes a long way. One of the biggest ranchers I know has to set "Dummy" water tanks out so the road hunters will shoot those as opposed to the real tanks that he has hidden behind berms. It's always a game for him and I feel his pain especially when he finds his cattle shot.

#24 ·
So a few years ago I posted. I have friend who still hunt here and if someone come to my door ( though not likely as the long driveway has a gate and several signs indicating that would be a bad idea ) or call me I am happy to let most people hunt. I am not alone many of the folks around here do the same. As most often is the case a few bad apples ruin the whole batch.
I have seen many 4 wheeler tracks and how they tear up the land, especially if it had just rained out. Luckily I havent had to deal with wardens but thats funny how you comment about them. From what we see on North Woods Law, they are pretty efficient. Its cool having another Mainer on here! Do you still hunt? It would be great to meet up with another TFF member!

#26 ·
My 2 cents. Everything Mike said was spot on all I could add is be honest about how many people you're bringing with you. Years ago my grandpa would let anybody that asked hunt his land (91 acres, 30 woods the rest farm), they'd come and ask "can I hunt", only to find out everyone of them brought 5 to as many as 10 people with them. One year he gave 7 people permission and had over 30 crashing through the woods.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.