hunting dog help please.

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, Aug 2, 2012.

1. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I was also a crazy coon hunter for decades. I only quit when my health gave out. Blueticks are the dogs to hunt coon. And I don't agree that a high priced dog is a waste of time. I've seen high priced blueticks that would tree a coon every single time you turned them out. In fact it might take 3 days before you could find one because it wouldn't come back at all. You would only find it under a tree with a coon in it or more than one coon in it.

The difference between a well bred (and generally expensive) coon hound is they won't chase other animals (like deer especially because a dog that chases deer will do almost nothing else - they will chase them for hours on end and never tree a coon). I've seen my brother turn down $10,000 for two different blueticks out of Diamond Jim. They were both Night Champions. The first one ended up being stolen from a tree. It was the dog that couldn't be found anywhere except under a tree. Some people got wind of what the dog was worth and they followed my brother around until they got their chance to get to the tree before my brother did and it was dog gone.

The truth of it was that both dogs could have been Grand Night Champions which would have made them worth about $100,000. Once you win a professional coon hunt (which is what you have to do to become a Grand Night Champion) people will bug you to death wanting to buy your dog in fact. Some people have lots and lots of money and they want the best.

But those dogs were such incredible animals it was obvious why they brought so much money. They cost about $600 as pups way back when. You could hear one bark for at least 5 miles. They were so loud the ground would shake under the tree when they barked and forget trying to talk to anyone with you. No way could they hear you. They were built for all night coon chases and for being able to deal with the toughest of coons. I've heard dogs chase coon for two hours straight going around the same circle over and over again where the coon would cross a river go upstream and cross it again and go back downstream and do the whole thing over. It slows a dog down to have to chase a coon across a river so the dogs had a hard time getting that coon up a tree but eventually they did it.

There just isn't anything like coon hunting. It's not an easy sport though. First off you have to be able to get to your dogs which means crossing several hills sometimes where I live. And you better have a good sense of direction because getting lost in the woods at night when you take off and move 3 miles across hills then a fog settles in you really want to know your way around the woods. Actually being in a big field when a fog settles in is the worst. You have no references for direction.

Well sorry for getting off subject here. I still love talking about coon hunting. It's about as good as it gets IMO.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Nope, never hunted with a Castlehill Mountain Cur! I've hunted with a lot of dogs in my time, and there is no set breed that is all around best. Two of the best squirrel dogs I've ever hunted with was a Chihuahua, and a Samoyed. The Chihuahua belonged to a friend, and the Samoyed belonged to my dad. I've hunted deer with Beagles. I've hunted squirrels with anything that would tree them, and not wander off to far. I've hunted rabbits with Beagles, and Basset Hounds. I've hunted coon with several different breeds of dogs. I've hunted ducks, quail, and just about anything you can hunt with a dog! I have also spent my fare share of time out in the woods looking for dogs that liked to run deer, or anything else, that they could chase clean out of the Parish!
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. stillfox

stillfox New Member

Carver,
    Castlehill is a breeder of mountain curs.
    Good info on them can be found at the OMCBA. (original mountain cur breeders association) http://www.omcba.com/
    Lots of mountain curs in Louisiana.
    For what it's worth: Shock collars are for deer chasing dogs.
    Deer have a very hot scent.
    You need to be there and have a means of nipping it in the bud.
    Most any dog that jumps a deer will chase it, until they have had some serious training.
  4. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I've hunted with mountain cur many times. Owned a few too. It is true they can hunt coon or squirrel and if you can keep them from running deer they can be excellent at both. Right now I have a squirrel dog BTW. It's a mountain feist. So far it will tree but won't bark at the tree. That's a common failing of feists. They hunt by sight and by winding which is great for hunting tree rats. But another big problem is he's gun shy. He'll chase bears off like crazy but bring out a rifle and he runs. He's getting better but he needs to get over it.

My dog looks nearly identical to the one at this site except mine has tan on his front legs.

http://puppyer.com/img/terrier/american_treeing_feist_292_5.jpg

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

There ya go :D :D :D . and for the one who made the thread Oh yeah one of my cats named tom runs to every dove I shoot and holds them down but sometimes runs off with them but stops when I call him to stop. Im not kidding either. If you want a dog then get a Lab.
  6. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

OK - My wife has bred purebred dogs for decades and knows every breed of dog there is. So, I asked her to be on the safe side before I posted this (pretty much knowing the answer). There is no answer until you define the parameters you want the dog to meet.

First - what do you want to hunt with your dog? A dog for bird hunting isn't going to be very good at deer or bear hunting. Dog breeds were created over time for specific traits. If I want to hunt squirrels I wouldn't expect a retriever to help - it's not in their nature to go after squirrels. Terriers are better at that and most specifically Airedales.

The Airedale was created as mans all around general purpose breed and I'll guarantee you they will go after anything small. Badgers, raccoon's, squirrels - doesn't matter. So, for what you seem to be aiming for, get an Airedale.

Lastly, it is unlikely that you will find a dog 2 or 3 years old who already knows just what to do with you and what you want from him/her. You really should get one as a pup and train it. Then, when you go hunting your dog will always know what to expect and what to do for you. Airedales are also fantastic friends!
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

CJ, my experience was that high priced dogs were way more driven, often would tree coon within a minute or two; no fun for me to listen to them work the coon. Main thing to me was the higher priced dogs were 3-4 thousand, pups were $300-500 and them you had to train. They were harder to train as they were more apt to see deer in an orchard and take off after them; might as well just shoot them after that. LOwer priced pleasure dogs were straighter, run off game almost never as they were not as driven to get something, no joke, my experience.

I got my first dog, a blk & tan 6 year old bitch from a junk man who had bought an estate and dog came with deceased man's place. The junk man and I walked out in the woods behind his place and the dog didn't want to hunt, no coon in the air I do believe. So junk man sold me blk & tan and said I could pay him whenever 200 bucks or shoot the dog if it repeated again what it did that night. I went out the following night with the blk & tan and got 11 coon and needless to say paid the junk man off the nx day.

Get to know coon hunters in area, meet beagle hunting club members, then decide what ya want to hunt. Just in the end get a dog and start hunting, it's an awful bunch of enjoyment. I've never had a good dog that would hunt a bunch of different animals; they dogs got shot pretty quick, after they came back with a mouth full of quills.