Hunting extras

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by robman2629, Oct 17, 2012.

1. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Im looking to get some walkie talkies and a set of binos or a range finder. Anyone use these products and have suggestions? I was looking at midland walkie talkies that come with headsets and car chargers. Also, I'm looking at a Nikon laser range finder. Ive never used one before but am looking for anything to make my first deer hunting experience easier.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't use the FRS radios, or the walkie talkies. Some one will key up just as you have spotted a trophy deer, and are waiting for that perfect shot. The head phones will limit your ability to hear game movemnet. I do use binoculars, and the range finder isn't a bad idea if you don't have much experience in judging range. What will be hunting with?
  3. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

The biggest thing is I'll be hunting with a group of people and we will all be in different locations. Ill be using a 30-06.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder how the walkies get their range ratings. I had a few sets in the shop that I sold that had a 18 mile range or more on them but I swear if you had a tree in between you and the other guy, you had interference. I couldnt get a mile or two out of them unless you were completely unobstructed.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I agree with carver, just about the time you get a bead on the biggest deer you have ever seen, you buddy will break and say "You seen anything yet?" and your deer will be gone, never to be seen again!
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

many places it's illegal to use radios to 'locate' game anyway. They would be nice to have for some cases but I don't want it squawking as I'm taking a trophy kill shot. I'm generally on my own during hunting season anyway. If you do go with a radio, find one that can use an earbud; a full headset is annoying and you won't wear it but an earbud is silent outside of your ear and fairly comfortable for all day use.

Binos with a built in range finder would be ideal instead of having two separate devices but if I had to pick one it would be the binos. 10x or higher for me.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

They are tested under ideal conditions. Get up high with a long distance to the horizon, and key that FRS radio! It will talk 18 miles! Put that same radio on the ground, with buildings, and trees between the two radios, and you'll be lucky to talk a mile! I once had a CB radio, 3 watt output, and I talked 80 miles to a guy in Fresno, CA. I was on a mountain over looking the whole valley! Hand held CB's won't do any better, the short antena won't let you get out more than a mile, and much less than that if you are in your car. An outside antena hooked up to that 3 watt hand held will work the same as any other 3 watt CB radio.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. carver

carver Moderator

Have everyone agree to meet at a specific place, and at a specific time. That's the way we did it at the hunting camp. Walk out to the road to get a ride back to camp. If you missed your ride, there would be another one at sundown.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don't forget a compass. A $5 compass has kept me out of trouble for many years.
  10. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i have a set of 5 channel midland that dad bought in the 70s. we used them when he and i would turkey hunt. never for deer huntting.
    the had a listing of a 5 mile range. that may have been over open water, but not in the forest. they each used 8 aa batteries
    i could take one in a car and drive ALMOST 1 mile from the house and we could communicate. any farther, no
  11. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Ive been looking at binos with a rangefinder and compass in it, but the area my gf is taking me is brand new to me. I have never really read a compass before, I just walk until I find something I recognize. I know they bring radios out there for communication, I am able to survive outdoors overnight as I have done in the past. I have a couple extra layers on me to keep me going.
  12. carver

carver Moderator

If you decide to get the compass, and I highly recomend one, then you must turst it. No matter that you think the compass isn't working right, trust it. Another form of navigation that you might want to look into is a GPS device. The one I own is the eTrex: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=87768
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  13. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

We use a good commercial brand radio system (can't remember the brand, they belong to a friend). There are 4 of us and two use one channel and two use another. No one talks first, you key the mike and wait for a reply. If you don't get one, your partner is watch something and you keep waiting. If it's clear he'll answer.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

How do you know when your buddy keys up the mike?
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

breaks squelch, makes an audible sound.

a compass is a necessity I think, for sure should have (and use) one. And like said, TRUST your compass, it never lies (unless ya break it or hold it too close to metal)

My GPS has a bum switch on it so it doesn't work anymore, I just use map/compass. Mountains are so steep here, you can terrain associate easily most places also.
  16. Sandman

Sandman New Member

For binos, buy good ones. Don't go cheap.
  17. Country101

Country101 Active Member

My dad has a set of midland radios. For what they are, they are fine. Dont let the ratings fool you though. You might get 2 miles out of them. One set has a 36 mile range or whatever, but that's only if you have repeaters and all that stuff along with an FCC license to be legal. So basically, you will get 1-2 miles out of the radio in decent cover. Dont expect more. I think the set I will eventually get is about 80-90 bucks.
  18. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Get GOOD binos. You spend most of your time behind them. If you get a rangefinder get one with an inclinometer in it and use it. Radios are fine but so is a cell phone if you have reception. We use both and they are a help to cover more country.