Hunting food!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Bill Sweetman, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

When I go "in" for deer hunting I usually bring a few loaves of bread some Chunky soup, margerine and so on ................... What do you guys bring?? I am trying to break with "routine" and get some ideas for this year!!!:D
  2. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Standards for me are Dutch oven chicken and dumplings, stew, 18 bean soup and of course, berry cobbler and bread pudding with rum sauce. I take granola bars for breakfast, with dried fruit and nuts to munch on, do all my cooking in the middle of the day when the deer are napping, then warm up and eat before crawling in the sleeping bag at night.

If I'm seriously hunting a big one, I eat vegetarian, starting two weeks before hunting season. Works better than scent lock clothing.
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    If I'm seriously hunting a big one, I eat vegetarian, starting two weeks before hunting season. Works better than scent lock clothing.

+ 1 on that.
    Make em think your another grass muncher:D
    also rinse hunting clothes in creek a couple of times before hand.
  4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

Thats good stuff. This year will be my first deet hunt ever. Don't know about eating vegitarian. God didn't make meat taste so good for no good reason.
  5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Yer always sharper when yer a little hungry;)
    and just think how good that meat is going to taste
    after two weeks of veggies:D
  6. whip

whip New Member

A lean wolf hunts best!!!! Lettuce salad no dressing apples, bananas etc.

Just kidding I like the simple canned foods I can heat and eat in the can. Chili, Beef Stew etc. Top ramen and of course steak and spuds for the first night.
  7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I go with the cold cuts and canned soup. Also the hunting gear gets a big work over mush to the dismay of the wife. I leave them outside unwashed for a couple of days prior to the trip, I then drag them around the yard to soil them with grass and weeds to get rid of the human smell. I also bathe with a organic hippy soap that smells like ass and cut grass. It actually works out quite well for it gives a more natural smell.'

My brother though does pretty much the same thing only his ass dont bath for three or four days before entering the woods. He has exteamly good luck with the deer hunting but his ass does not ride with me, I lat him ride one time and it was just after thanksgiving and we made the trip back home with the window upen, never again. The boy literally smelled like a flock of skunks had decended upon a hog farm. NEVER in my life had I smelled any human so rank in my life. But he filled his tags and I had 1 open so.
  8. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
  9. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

BU, your stories never fail to make me laugh!
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't eat in the woods while hunting, and only drink water. I go back to the house to eat. One thing I do is to put my hunting cloths in a garbage bag with fresh cut pine limbs. Those limbs from the end of the branch that have lots of needles on them. Crush em up a little, and your cloths will smell like pine. I have never hunted from a deer camp, but back in the day when I was driving to the hunting area, I always bought something and left it in the truck for lunch. Usually spam, sardines, boiled eggs, fruit, and crackers. Nothing heavy, as others have said, you hunt better when you ain't trying to go to sleep!
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  11. younggunslearner

younggunslearner New Member

Preparing for hunting this year, I think I am going to do what I did last year. Made a pot of green chili at home and then froze it. Did the same with some stew and some goulash.

Then all I needed to do when I left camp in the morning to start my hunt for the day, was just take out one of the frozen containers of what I made from the cooler and then let it thaw out throughout the day and by the time I got back to came it was thaw, and all I need to do was warm it up in a pot and it was as good as the day I made it.

A good full stomach in the woods goes a long ways for energy and attitude.

Enjoy.
  12. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I take fruit and pop tarts or granola bars for breakfast. Lunch is usually a sandwich, some summer sausage and cheese, or peanut butter crackers. Supper is when we really have a meal at camp. We will have hobo dinners heated on the grill on on a bed of coals. Hobo dinners consist of a hamburger patty or chicken, surrounded with potatos, onions, carrots, and celery, all wrapped up in foil so it can be heated without a pan. Noting is better than a good hot meal at the end of a hard day hunting.
  13. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Sounds a little like what we call "The Package".

We will toss in chicken breast (or whole chicken), corn on the cobb, onion, jalapeno, diced potatoes, cream of mushroom, lots of Cajun seasoning... Yum!

As far as munchies go, I love mixed nuts, jerky and Mountain Dew.

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

14. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    That looks just like what we do but ours is a single serve size package. Looks like yours is for a group or one really hungry guy!
  15. dianalv

dianalv New Member

For clothing preperation, I wash everything without soap, then throw it in the drier with fresh sage leaves cut from my herb garden. Permeates everything with the scent of sage. While hunting, I'll grab a handful of sage leaves or pine needles as I go, crush them and rub them on my clothes to freshen up the scent.

Eating vegetarian works best, though, and avoiding sugars. That way you don't smell like a predator and even though they smell you, they don't get as alarmed. Ungulates can always smell a meat eater.

Eating canned stew and canned chili will certainly give you a smell. Stagg Chili will make you throw yourself out of the tent!:D Alternate it with Dinty Moore beef stew and anyone who gets near you will drop dead. Won't even have to shoot the deer. It will die of olfactory overload.
  16. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I like anything from a dutch oven and plenty of pistachios or cashews for snacking.
  17. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I tell ya, if I ate that stuff the week before a hunt, the smell from my behind would scare off a flock of buzzards, let alone any deers. :eek:

When I go I take dried fruits and nuts for breakfast, along with some instant oat packets. I got to have my morning food or I'm a goner. Most of the rest for me is MREs. I didnt mind them when I was in the field, now I dont mind them much when I am hunting as a civilian. Kind of brings back memories, anyway. I fill in around the edges with some beef jerky, homemade of course.
  18. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

Mostly I take some of my beef or Elk jerky.I don't spend the night in the woods as I live in the woods. When I step outside my front door I am in Elk country.I usually make up a trail mix of nuts and raisins. When I get home the wife normally has a good dinner ready for me. I hunt with a rifle and most of my shots are in the neighborhood of 75 to 300 yards so I don't worry quite as much about my odor.I normally try to side hill one ridge and watch the opposite ridge line/side.I do take showers every morning (no soap) and the wife always washes my clothes and hangs them outside to air dry. Sometimes I get lucky and run over something in the road so we don't starve ;). Oh yea, almost forgot. I am thinking of going elk hunting shortly.Season opens this Saturday.:D Will keep you posted. catfish
  19. Red84

Red84 New Member

Keep your veggies, I'll play the wind.
  20. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I agree with the above. Cant go a day without meat. I typically bring chilli and goulash for deer camp along with camp fire cooked hot ham + cheese. But if you want to mix it up i always look for foods that dont take a long time, make a mess, and that warm you up. good luck hunting