Hunting Goals???

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

WyomingSwede
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/14/02 4:40:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hunting Goals???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you have goals in Hunting??? Mine are act with fair chase, make a clean kill, keep it a challenge to your abilities.

What are your goals when you set out to hunt? Interested in hearing others opinions. swede
    Wyoming Swede

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/02 7:25:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hunting Goals???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    seeing the quarry, don't have to kill one or even get a shot but without even glimpsing what you're after makes for a long day carrying rifle/shotgun

shooter22
    (1/19/02 3:06:34 am)
    Great question Swede. For me getting out into the woods before sunrise for deer is a special time that I cherish every time I go out. My number one goal is to not put any body with me or myself in a dangerous situation. There must be absolute fair chase. If I wanted to kill caged meat, I'd work in a feed lot and slaughter. I like to be able to set still enough to have deer or turkeys come right up to me in the woods. I still don't have any ground to call my own, so I hunt as the opportunity presents itself. this last year, I had a chance to hunt a property where the fellow is trying to manage for big trophies. My agreement with the guy was to hunt for does and meat that I felt suitable. My brother and a friend were to all take does and small bucks. I took a big bodied deer that must have been near 5 years old, but his rack was just a fork horn and no size. I took him to eleminate his chance of spreading his genes. I have yet had a chance to hunt what could be called trophy deer. I hunt for meat mostly. Usually taking deer or game of any kind is just the bonus. I feel that the time spent with a hunting group or family is the greatest benefit there is. We are real choosy about who we hunt with. A member here that posts only once or twice is in our hunting party. I trust him with my life. You could not ask for a better friend. I highly doubt that he will see it here, but if he does, PsychoDocWitAGun-- you da man! He has been hunting with us for the last four or five years. I can remember those hunts like they all happened yesterday. I practice shooting all year around. I don't just want to hit the animal. I want to hit him in the perfect spot. Knowing ones limits is the key to taking game. I am proud of the fact that when I go to the Handicapped shoot, we have a shooting session beforehand. I have been picked to take the long shot the past four years. I can get shots out to 400 yards, fortunately my longest has been 286
    yards with a great rest in a blind. The blinds make sitting in a wheelchair all day bearable. I don't have to kill to have a good time, I can get just as excited by putting bullets in small groups on paper. I had more fun shooting with the gang in the August heat at the BBQ last fall, than all the hunting could have done. So for me, it is what I surround myself with when I go shooting or hunting that makes the time special.

warpig883
    (1/19/02 10:08:44 am)
    I will not shoot anything without putting its meat or hide or both to use.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

kdub01
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/19/02 2:37:39 pm)
    Well, 'Swede -

My personal goal is to have a good time and hope those hunting with me do the same. After a lifetime of hunting and taking both trophy and mediocre racked animals, I can get a lot of enjoyment out of just being out in the country and the companionship of my fellow hunters - don't have to see something fall dead to enjoy the outing. I guess one of the most pleasurable things is the preparation for the hunt - perfecting the cartridge loads, gathering gear, making travel and boarding arrangements, talking to the other hunt members to organize the trip, etc. The hunt anticipation and planning are very rewarding.

cointoss 2
    (1/19/02 3:35:21 pm)
    Kdub well said! The enjoyment is to see that all have a good, safe time. The planning and anticipation is what really turns my crank, from reloading to pratice, which rifle and who's bringing what usually last a lot longer than after I have pulled the trigger.
    cointoss2

Str8shooter
    (2/11/02 11:38:41 pm)
    My main goal would have to be getting into the woods and away from the city. Anything that happens after that is icing on the cake.