Hunting in colder weather

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 38 special, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

I got up at 5 am and it was 6 degrees. I got the 22-250 with some 55 grain fmj bullets and went out to see if I could get a coyote.I figured Id use the fmj thinking I wouldnt hurt the pelt as much if I did shoot one. (Although that doesn't always work cause the bullet can hit a bone and tumble and make a pretty big exit hole then). There was about 6 inches of powder snow so walking was pretty easy and real quiet. We've had some disgustingly warm winters the last few years so it was a real pleasure to hunt in colder weather. I snuck along scanning as far as I could see in the woods, looking for any sign of movement or anything that didnt look quite right. Saw a few deer,squirrels,a turkey, but no coyotes.
    Hiking up the mountain ,I found that I didnt even break a sweat. Just before 7 am , the sun came up and the sky was deep blue. The low sun on the snow was so incredibly beautiful,I cursed myself for not bringing my camera.It was like a billion diamonds sparkling. I saw where a grouse was walking and a porcupine and several deer. Its not as easy to identify tracks in powder snow, I like to go out when the snow is just melting a bit and then you can tell every critter that passes as the tracks are very distinct.
    I worked my way thru some grapevine tangles and green briar and slashing ,and if it was 32 degrees or more, I would have been crawling with ticks.
    I never got ANY bug on me AT ALL. It is such a wonderful experience to hunt when its between 5 to 20 degrees. Hell, if its below zero, I'm going out.
    I only hope that the cold weather stays. If you love to be in the woods, you just have to love cold weather.
    Didnt get a 'yote, but just being in the woods was priceless
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have deer hunted in VT when it was 10 below. You can't sit for very long so you wind up moving more than usual. You also need more liquids as you tend to dehydrate. The only thing I noticed was my eye balls felt like they had swollen some at the end of the day.

We are usually heading south by the first week in Dec so don't see much real cold (by NE standards) weather for hunting on NH seacoast.
  3. evan756

evan756 New Member

the last few weeks it has been in the -30 to -40 degrees celcius range if yeah dress right and can keep your calls from freezing up the cyotes come running because of the lack of food during the deep freeze. then today i went out only about -7 and nothin was coming to a call even after i had seen a couple out on posted land rather disapointing but did enjoy going going out and not have to worry so much about wether or not i dressed right.
  4. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I feel the same way on friday the 8th I drove 35 miles for a calling set up. It was a clear afternoon set up maybe 15 degrees no wind perfect. After 15 minutes of Rodent Distress I see and hear nothing! Then I see 2 hawks circling above my call.I look to my left about 500 yds and theirs a small heard of Mule Deer feeding quitly.It was so cool I turned off the call and watched the sun go down with the deer.And to top that a Great Horned Owl landed in a tree not 50yds from me it was a perfect afternoon.