Hunting issue

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Albtraum, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

I like the idea of hunting. I like the idea of tracking an animal, the idea of sighting in a rifle, and preparing all the equipment involved in a hunt, and the thrill of the chase. Not so much skinning, etc, but I like the idea of providing food to myself and my family.

But I don't like the idea of taking an animal's life. Or how I feel after taking an animal's life. I think the problem is that I come from a family that doesn't hunt. My dad used to hunt, but never when I was old enough to go with him. My grandpa and the rest of my family that hunt, are in Pennsylvania. I've been fishing, and my dad taught me how to gut and clean a trout. That was a miserable experience to me... Do you think I feel this way because of how I was brought up/raised?

What are your thoughts to this?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I think most people try to relate to the animal being killed and butchered at first, its why there are groups like PETA.

It can be nauseating for some. I remember the first animal i ever killed. i was about 9 or 10 and I shot a bluejay with my BB gun. I didnt sleep for 2 days becasue everytime I closed my eyes all i could think about was that bluejays eyes, the way they looked after i shot it. I eventually got over it and killed again. the second time wasnt so heartwrenching for me..

Unfortunately killing is one of those things that gets easier the more you do it, it doesnt take long before youre numb to it and can shoot, gut and clean a deer just as easily and without hesitation as breathing.
  3. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

What an approiate time time bring up the issue. In my refrigerator is a nice big turkey waiting for my wife to cook tomorrow. My mouth waters thinking of the delicious meat, covered in hot gravy with a little pepper entering my mouth. I can taste the meat right now. Each bite reminds me of past hollidays cellibrated with family and friends. All my life I have eaten meat and fish. At one time it all was alive, breathing, perhaps thinking, certainly with a desire to stay alive. If a fish didn't care if it lived it wouldn't stuggle while being caught. If a chicken didn't care, it wouldn't be so hard to catch one. We are carnivors. We eat meat. Some creatures can not eat meat. A chicken, a cow, a deer are not carnivors. For some reason at the beginning of time, man was made a carnivor and through the years became one of the top in the field. We used our minds to improve our hunting skills to where we stand with others at the top of the food chain. That means there are still other creatures who will eat us, if we don't eat them first.
    We also have a soul. Although some more than others. True hunters harvest game in the most efficient way possible. That means we practice our skills so the death to our prey comes quickly and with the least amount of suffering. Most animals practice the same way, although for different reasons. They don't have the luxory of other food sources if they fail to kill quickly or succesfully. If they fail, they die. If I don't get a deer this month, I go to burger king. But the hamburger at burger king came from a living animal too. Cows (I hope) were walked into a room and their lives were ended.
    So, is it wrong to be sorry or feel emotions when you kill something. Depends if you did it for a good reason. Food, clothing, removal of threat, protection of loved ones. good reasons. cause you felt like it or it made you feel superior...not so much.
    When I harvest a deer, I do so with the best skills I can present and I use it for food. Do I celebrate it's life and thank God for giving me the ability to hunt and harvest? Yep. Will I die? Yep.
    Do you have to hunt and kill animals. Not now. But there may come a time when you wish you knew how.
    When you starve to death with a tiger...the tiger will starve last.
    forgive my spelling, i'm tired and have a bunch of stuff to do.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Honour the critter dig and hole and when you remove the entrails put em in the hole , i say a prayer of thanks to God for providing me the animal and thank the critter for helping me live ..

i know i did not make the animal suffer , that it's eating the sweetest grass there is and that its with God .. its body is food and thats how the planet works

dont fall for the traps , know its way more natural than anything the food chain provides
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

This is part of a post i made in the religious forum.

When I was 9 I got my first bb gun. I became very good with it too. One day a sparrow flew into a branch of an oak tree next door to us. I couldn't see the bird but I heard him and knew right where to aim. So I shot it. Down it fell. I was kicked in the gut. I cried, and felt terrible.

But I was comforted. God spoke to me and told me that I must master the art of hunting and killing to feed myself. Not that I had to do it to eat, but I had to learn to do it to survive.

So for a while i went on a killing spree. Killing lots of birds and small game. Then one day God had another little talk with me. He told me it was wrong to kill all those animals if I wasnt going to eat them. So I stopped killing them for no reason. Now I hunt and kill an awful lot of animals now but it goes in the freezer.

1. After the flood God gave us domenion over the animals. We can kill and eat them.

2. This is a personal matter for you to decide. I knew an old ex mil sniper I met in OK some years back. Visited his gun shop many times up there and he had many stories of kills back in Vietman. He told me after he was back a rancher asked him to kill a cougar on his property. He did. He told me that cougar kill bothers him still even to the day he shared the story with me. None of the human kills did. The human kills were bad men but the cougar was innocent. Maybe he identified with the cougar. I dont know. Like i said God has given you the go ahead to kill and grill, up to you if you want to do it.

One thing you need to be prepaird for is after you shoot that deer be ware of the tear in his eyes while he is laying there dead.........

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Im just fooling there aint no tears. That was a joke someone tried to play on me when i was young.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Actually now come to think of it your probably gona be shaking so bad your first time your gona miss. So i would not sweat it.

Tell you a story of my daughters first kill.

She was 10. We were on a week long trip in tx. It was hot and we had not seen anything worth shooting. Last day and its getting nasty. I wake her up and said you want to hunt this morning? Na lets keep sleeping. OK i said. 10 min went by and i woke her up again. YOu want to go to the stand? She said is this the last day? I said yep we are going home today. OK lets go. So we did. We get up in the stand and she is having a giggle fit. She is wraping toilet paper around eveything and just being loopie. Still dark. Well I am trying to get her to simmer down and light is just showing. I said look there is a doe out there. Where daddy where? Right there you bone head now shut up. 5 min or so goes by and now with more light i can see a rack. OOOOHH, I get the bio's and have a good look. 8 points. Great cause it's 8 points or better. So i get the Savage and her lined up. She has the back of the gun and i am holding the front of it stable on the stand with 2 fingers. I had the safety on. I said look in the scope and put the cross hairs where i told you. OK Daddy. You got it? Yea. OK move the trigger like i told you. OK. Daddy it didn't move. I had the safety on. I said ok when you tried to move the trigger did the cross hairs move any. She said no. I took the safety off and told her to do it again. Bang!!!! She screams I got it I got. I got one eye on the deer to see where it will go and one eye one her cause the scope hit her in the forehead. Little tiger tho she only got a small bruse.
    So you see if my 10 year old daughter can do it.........
  7. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

some are not up to the killing..so if the rest of the hunt is a thrill just take a camera along..a shot is a shot after all and the photo will remind you of all the fun you had getting to the spot you were to get that "shot"!
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i think its great that you feel the way you do.it is no longer necessary for us to kill a wild animal to survive,the real reason i hunt is for control of a natural great resource.there are no longer any preditors to keep numbers down.i always say i short prayer to both the animal and to god for that bounty.i never have nor ever will hunt an animal that i cannot use.yes i know it is in our very nature to be a preditor and hunt but that is part of what god gave us and i will not question his will. old semperfi
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

You watched too many cartoons like Bambi and other Disney movies. Disney was an animal rights activist and his movies were intended to make the children that saw them relate to the animals like they would relate to people.
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Have to concur with Reynolds. I've always got a thrill out of knocking game down and I came from Pennsylvania too and that's where I first got turned onto it at my relatives hunting camp. I even get a bigger thrill when I shoot a bear and I think he's trying to get me before he goes down; actually they are just running to get to where they live which is on the other side of me where I shoot most my bear. I've also had 2 blk bear stalk me with front quarters down like a cat on a rabbit; make your hair stand up. It's a thrill just the same and I don't hesitate or feel funny in the least.

I have a buddy who has been mauled twice in his life by grizz; this guy wants to wipe bear off the earth, no joke, he hates them like the devil.

All my kids grew up shooting caribou during the migration; it got to the point they didn't want to go get any caribou unless they got to do all the shooting, have all the fun. We have subsistence licenses because we live so far out and our road is only open for 4 months during the summer, pretty spendy flying meat in when you can get it for free. We feel quite good about shooting our own fresh meat.

We live around Indians, I mean real Indians who were stone age 50 years back. They hunt 24/7. They believe the moose know their purpose of being on this earth is to provide sustenance for man, but only to the man who lives his life as a caretaker to nature. So they are quite superstitious about how they go hunting and how they talk about wildlife and on and on. They also respect nature, but shoot every last animal standing as it's not man's domain to fool around playing God with wildlife. It will all take care of itself and does until too many of us Whites move into an area. We seem to kill much more game because there's so many of us.

Everything has a purpose and we're at the top of the hill, don't feel bad about killing game, feel good about it; reality of the world around you. The Creator or God made it to be that way with the animals.

Just imagine of you were drafted and had to kill or be killed; and had witnessed your friends die by the hands of the enemy. You'd quickly develop a hatred for the sub human enemy and to some degree deal with killing them. I think that's how it all works. Has to be a justifiable reason. Good Luck, go out do some hunting.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

venison for dinner here tonight ...
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Go watch how the industry kills the cows you eat or the pigs and chickens you enjoy . Big game is not killed just have there brains turn to mush and or bleed out . then think about the shooting sjill you have and what is quicker and more hunman.

Go learn how to hunt and enjoy it.
  13. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I have a really close friend that is just showing an interest in hunting. He's an avid target shooter, and firearm enthusiast. So after discussing the logistics of what happens after the hunt... We started him out with waterfowl, and upland birds last year, and have progressed pretty slowly from there. He still was not at all comfortable watching me take care of my Blacktail , and the cow Elk I was fortunate enough to harvest. The warmth, and pungent oder, along with the sight of it, Im sure kind of got to him. But he is going to buy a Deer tag this coming season, if he feels good about taking a Spring Turkey, and processing it. We started him on smaller game, and we are trying not to do the sensory overload gig too fast. Its much easier to begin, IMHO, if the handling of your harvested animals starts out on the smaller end of the spectrum. This approach, seemingly works really well for our friend. As an aside, he is already fleshing out birds to start trying to mount them! Very cool to see him actually take an interest in it. Start small, and dont push yourself to "kill" anything. When, and if you are ever ready to take game, you will know! For now, go out with your friends and ask questions maybe. Not about the shot, or anything after that, but everything else that goes in to gettin that pin sight, or crosshair lined up just right. Hope everything works out for ya. There are a million ways to view hunting. Pick the one that suits you, and stick to it. In the mean time, have fun!
  14. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 New Member

when i was real young like 4-5 my dad took me to fish and hunt a lot and showed me how to gut every thing but only fish and small game up till i was 11.... when i turned 12 i went deer hunting he put me in a spot and told me to stay put so i did and after an hour or so 3 deer came running by i pulled up my gun prlly didn't even aim and shot, so i took my time and walked up to the deer laying there still breathing i turned away for a couple of min thinking my dad would come but he didn't. so i didn't want the deer to suffer anymore and shot rite in the back of his head. i felt bad but then after awhile i thought about how all the animals we eat every day that we buy from the store were just put down some line and killed.... so i feel at least, if you like eating meat and you can kill an animal in a humanly way. why not have fun with the sport of it. but gutting large game still isn't my favorite part but you have to do it, and after a few times its no big deal...
  15. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I've been huntin' for 59 years. I'm now 67. I've killed way over 100 deer. But I'll say this, I still feel sorrow for a kill. I say a silent prayer over every animal I take. Maybe it's my, Indian Heritage, the way I was taught. The whitetail deer is one of the most beautiful animals on earth. But the, Good Lord, put them here for our survival. Plain and simple. Just the way it was intended.
    Good Huntin'