Hunting knives and their uses

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by johnlives4christ, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I've often said that you can spend a lot more money, but you wont find a better field knife or kitchen knife than this Forschner... Polish, the thing I like about these is that they do take and keep an edge, the blade is thin enough that you could fillet with it so I bet your friend would like it...

Country: 600.00 per blade inch. :eek: Holy hell, Man! I think I'll take two 6" knives. :D Seriously though, that sounds like a mean piece of steel!

Crpdeth
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I will do that next time I go bug him in his shop, Crp, maybe if he quit having to switch out knives and order another crate of them he could finish my mount a little faster than the 12-14 months he originally quoted me!:D

Then again he talks more than I do, so maybe if guys quit "bugging him in his shop" he would get them done faster too!:cool:
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I used many knives on a charter boat in the FL Keys until I found Forschner.
    At the end of the day, with a huge audience, you always had a big variety of fish to carve. From small fish to large and extra large fish, some with scales like armor. Each 'fish owner' would tell you how they wanted theirs cleaned, gutted, filleted, steaked, etc. The Forschner stainless was not only a plus for the salt water, but theirs really took an edge, and held it well. I kept a carborundum stone and a bucket of salt water to dip it in, handy at all times.
    Instead of honing oil, the salt water kept the stone clean, and was a breeze to tighten up the edge. I used 3 on a regular basis, 6" boning, 10" carving, 12" carving. These knives got A LOT of daily use for years, and I still use them in my kitchen at home.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

As with any tool, I believe you need a good variety. [ guns,knives, screwdrivers, etc. ]
    Some tools are 'job specific', and some are good 'all around'. I always use this argument
    to get new 'toys', albeit the truth.
    One of the absolute finest skinning knives is the Puma 'Skinner'. I bought it at Gibsons for $12.95 in the sixties, last I saw it priced was around $150.
    The Old Timer 'Sharpfinger' is a perfect [and beautiful] skinner, and it's sister style for birds is also great.
    Back in the '60s and early '70s living in the Rockies, I saw many who were very fond of Buck knives, but many of them had a problem with the blade breaking in cold weather.
    I am probably the fondest of old Case XX knives than any other. I have a folding XX that I only use for trout/salmon. Case used to make the prettiest, most beautiful, durable, usable knives on the market. I have spoken to many knifemakers that said the old Case knives gave them the inspiration to start building themselves.
    I honestly don't know how it would be possible to have only one or two.....{tools}
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Correction on size- 6", 8", 10" Forschner
    2nd pic- unknown brand,HIGH carbon steel, flexible,razorsharp!
    Bird and Skinner- Old Timer
    Puma 'Skinner'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Case XX- perfect for trout
    Couple of Shane Sloan's
    Who could forget these-2 Old Timers, Queen City #10, CaseXX [sodbuster]
    Two homemade attempts

Attached Files:

7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Different type of hunting......compliments USMC

Attached Files:

8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I had family-in-law that worked for Case for years in Bradford in the old days, and I at one time had a heckuva collection of them, mainly because my ex-bro-in-law loved to drink and play poker and wasn't good at either:p and when he owed me big time I would take a knife of his instead of cash.

I had Makos, A REALLY nice small game folder, and tons of pockets...but they are ALL gone now, either traded or sold, EXCEPT for my Case xx fillet knife, which is WONDERFULL for cutting up Venison...except for that stupid "Gut Spoon" on the back. If you FILLET a Fish you never SEE the guts! Every year when I get that little blister on my hand about 3/4s way through a deer I threaten to take it to my belt sander and grind off that sppon, but I can't bring myself to change it so much. It is an old model and takes a good edge.

Then there is the Case set of Kitchen knives on the wall- Wedding present, still going strong after 30 years!:D
  9. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

I got an old Puma that I use just for whitetail deer ...

OFC
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Knowing I am not going to bear fight with a knife ... for my heavy work a Buck 110 that is 25 years old. Have a double bladed Case and Gerber of similar size. Case is even older. But, I use a double bladed muskrat pocket knife for most things. Of fixed blade knives I have a dandy little Case. I have about 200 knives and see a number of them on posts above. Few are large. Chop wood with an ax!! :p

Bought a hardware store's display several years ago. Owner was closing shop. Some nice English Sheffields.

Oh, have that huge - and useless - Bowie that the NRA gave me for my Benefactor upgrade awhile ago. Just noticed it has finger prints on the blade --- best to chat with my G-Son!

Have a neat German boot knife my Uncle brought home and I inherited. Complete with metal scabbard and boot clip. Useless for hunting/fishing ....
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011