hunting knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by remington1990, Dec 28, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

What would a good knife to take hunting and fixed be better then folding or what. How would a swiss army knife be like take hunting and what would be a good field dressing knife knife
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

A swiss army knife and hunting don't mix IMO. Not bad to have along with you, but I'd rather have a SOG tool with me.
    As far as hunting knives, if you're field dressing, Outdoor Edge makes a decent combo pack, i haven't tried it out, but it looks to cover all the bases for deer/small game. Google Game-Pak and you should find it. There are plenty to choose from.
    I personally have carried Kershaw hunting knives since I was 12 or 13yrs old and been very happy with them. I'm looking at getting this set for myself:

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=19&brand=kershaw

If you don't have much as far as field dressing equipt, make sure you get one of these:

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/74270

It may look funny and ya may scratch your head wondering if it's just a gimmick, but trust me, it will be the best $20 you ever spent.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Knives are simple tools. They cut, hack, stab, and slice. But just because it has a blade doesn't mean it's good for all the jobs a knife can be used for. When hunting I like a knife that will do it all, something like the one I carry, a Gerber Big Rock. I have field dressed deer with a pen knife, and because it was sharp, it did the job OK. A broken piece of glass will work if you have nothing else. Man kind has used flaked rock for thousands of years, and they got the job done. Fixed or ridgid, it doesn't matter, so long as the knife is appropriate for the job at hand.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

How would a buck 110 folding hunter be like I have carry one when I would walk in the woods. But never took one hunting with me. how does a gut hook work. I liked the swiss army knife for the all the functions I was think as to taking one along not as the main knife
  5. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Remington, both Carver and Wollyworm are more into knives than I am. Just thought I'd toss in my 2 pennies. I carry a Buck 110 folder almost all the time, and use it really, really often on my farm.

For hunting, years ago I heard someone say that "bigger is better in knives; a big knife will do everything a little knife will do, and much more." I used to carry a Buck General as a utility/survival knife while elk and deer hunting. That General was a good knife for field dressing large game. A big knife is better is you ever end up in a survival situation or even end up in a hasty-over night camp in the woods.

As far as skinning, knives dull quickly skinning, especially a really large elk, so I used to carry a Buck skinning knife and a little Buck Pathfinder. A guy I used to hunt with taught me a really neat trick: buy a packet of those razor blades that fit the old box cutter knives and use those to take the hide off. The old kind with the single sharp edge and the metal stiffner on the other side are great.

The 'gut hook' on a knife is made to help prevent puncturing the innards when you open up the belly of a game animal while field dressing. The liquids from an animal's intestines can ruin the meat. I still use my two fingers to guide the blade and keep the blade/gut hook away from the innards.
  6. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

I use a buck folding hunter when deer hunting. You can gut the deer, split the hams and rib cage with it etc. I also use the same knife when quartering up the deer, to remove the back straps; extremely useful knife.

I also carry a pen knife and case mini cooper lock knife with me while hunting as they can be useful with smaller game and other tasks.
  7. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

has anybody used a buck paklite I like a fixed blade more then a folding knives when in heavy tasks
  8. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I like to use fixed blade knives for hunting. Just remember gutting and skinning is a messy job and when your done you need to clean your knife. I find a fixed blade is much easier to keep clean. I have used a buck folder once but prefer the fixed blades. I have Gerber and Cold Steel.
  9. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Maybe you should look at Cutco.com. They have what I belive (IMO)are two of the best hunting knives avable. And there made in America the sportsman model with a 4 1\2 inch drop point blade is a good knife. But the hunting knife in gift box is my choice there unbelabley sharp and tuff. they have a serrated edge called the Double-D its my favorite. Over the last 40 years I have owned sold and traded several Quality knives but they dont compare to cutco. You cant beat there guarante did I say there made in America.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Buck 110's work well, I have used them myself for field dressing deer. I still have it, but I don't carry, or use it, any more. IMHO, gut hooks are for fowl. They are small, and it is easy to get into the guts withour trying to. Deer, squirrels, and rabbits don't pose the same problems. On rabbits I don't even use a knife, except to cut them up for the pan.
  11. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

Gerber truss knives how would it work I know its a folding one but it locks and its small I would think it would be easy to clean because it open
  12. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

My favorite is a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter.