hunting knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by remington1990, Jun 10, 2011.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I have been looking for me a good hunting knife for some time and I am at a crossroads I have looked a buck paklite and a rough rider fixed blade I don't know which one would be best I like the paklite because it made in the usa but I like the look and quality of the rough rider thanks
  2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy, You have two real good choices there. I want to tell you about two more. First there is the Cutco Hunting knife in a box. I have the white handle verson with a serreated blade known as the Double D what an amazing knife. I got this knife in 2004 and between my buddy and I we have field dressed ten Deer and three antelope with this one knife. And have yet to do any sharping!Then there is Diamond blade knives one of the best (tuffest) knives I have ever used. Your grandchildren would'nt wear this one out. I have been buying, selling, and tradeing knves for forty years. Buck,Sharde,gerber,kirsha,puma ect ect all great but they dont hold up to the two above. Warning be prepared for sticker shock. You realy do get what you pay for. You can see these knives at Cutco.com and diamondbladeknives.com good luck.
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

My father was the top sales rep for cutco back in the day and he gave me that knife.. I started laughing and said dad this isn't a hunting knife and he said try it from what I heard it's amazing! I have dressed about 8 deer with it and it goes through the breast plate like butter! It truely is the best hunting knife I have used!!
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    When I go hunting, I usually only carry one knife. I got to thinking about this one day. What if I have to build a survival shelter? What if I need to do other things with the only knife I have, other than field dress a deer, or skin one? Something like makeing a fire. Take a look at the Gerber Big Rock. It won't bust the bank, but it will do most anything you can think of. It comes in two modles, the fine edge, and the serrated edge. Either can be had for under $25. http://www.backcountry.com/gerber-b...=r162&s_kwcid=TC-21581-5670978422-e-731374112

Attached Files:

5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I've w atched a couple of vids on the Big Rock. seems like a good overall utility kinife. They abused it pretty good and it stood up well.
  6. watsisname

watsisname Member

I would agree with carver. Gerber makes fine, affordable knives and they guarantee them for life. They also have outstanding customer service.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have a few knives that run in price from $200 - $800 (only 18 ever made), I like good quality knives, but I wouldn't use them for anything, unless I had to. A cheaper, or more affordable knife is the way to go for everyday use. If you break it, or loose it, it just doesn't hurt so bad when you replace it.