The Firearms Forum banner

hunting load for 44 Rem Magnum

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
I am starting to research loading my first batch of 44 Mag for my new Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 inch

here is what I have available

New Starline brass and plenty of primers
SR 4756 Powder
Rainer Leadsafe 240 Grain TCJ HP bullets

my Lee 2nd Edition says that 11.7 grains of SR 4756 will result in 1123 FPS

I measured out 12 grains to see how much of the case that would fill and it looked like it filled little over 50 percent. This is important to me to help avoid a double charge.

I think I might load a dozen of these and chrono them. first and I might pick up a pound of 110 powder tomorrow and look into that also.

since I will be hunting white tailed deer , do you guys have any suggestions on velocity goals using the powders I have mentioned?

#2 ·
DB my go to load for the 44 magnum is 23.3 grains of Winchester 296 behind the Hornady 240 grain XTP bullet. I shoot this out of my S&W 629 , Ruger SBH and my Contender pistol. The velocity is right around 1,500 fps. Since the Contender has a 12" barrel I am sure the velocity is a little higher.

I have been shooting this load for over 15 years now. It has performed well on deer out to 100 yards. The bullets I have been able to recover have expanded well. My only concern with the lower velocity loads would be the lack of expansion.

Jim

Reactions: carver and dbcooper
#3 ·
I have a good, accurate load for my .44 Magnums which is a 265 gr. Ranch Dog LRNFP over a load of 2400. Excellent bullet (Ranch Dog designed these as hunting bullets with a good wide meplate). I can keep 6 shots within 2"-2 1/2" at 25 yds with my SBH, slightly better with my Dan Wesson, and sometimes half that with my Puma. No chrony, but prolly runs 1100 fps outta the Ruger.I don't think I'd choose a plated (total copper jacketed?) bullet.

No offense intended, but I would suggest you make safe loading practices/methods a habit. I have been reloading off and on since 1969 and I still look in every case I charge with powder, from my 9mm through my .44 magnums, and .223 through 30-06. This allows me to choose a powder by it's performance, not for my loading practices...

#4 ·
DB, load em up the way you want. I agree that you should not worry about double loads, instead worry about safe reloading habits. A 240 gr bullet, traveling at 1250fps, will shoot thru a deer form end to end. I use Hornady XTP's, and they are guaranteed to expand at any .44 caliber speeds. What more could you want!

#6 ·
My new brass came in yesterday so I ran to a LGS and found a pound of H110
I've had more than a few folks brag on that powder for the 44 Mag

I loaded up 20 rounds with 23 grains of H110 and I'm going to run out tomorrow afternoon to the range and see how they do

#9 ·
Until I matured to the 45 Colt in strong revolvers my go to 44 Mag load was 24 grs. of H-110 under a 240 gr. bullet. Truthfully, if your revolver likes them, I don't believe you can go wrong with H-110, 296 or 2400......just find out which one your SBH prefers.

#10 ·
Hey DB, IMR 4227 is a slow burning powder that you won't have to worry about a double charge with. I've filled .44 Mag cases to the brim with this powder, set a bullet on top, and crushed the powder down into the case to seat the bullet. You simply can not put too much IMR 4227 in a .44 Mag case. I haven't tried that stunt with .357!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.