Hunting Pistol????

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ryan_marine, Oct 28, 2006.

1. shep24

shep24 New Member

Kind of new to the forum but I will throw it out there. I have hunted with the 480 Ruger and love it. Less recoil than the 500 in my opinion. It comes with the scope rings from the factory.
  2. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I've got one also....extremely accurate & deadly.
  3. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:eek: WOW!! under Hunting Pistols and no one mentioned the TC /Contender or G2 . They gotta rate right near the top for hunting pistols. All are accurate as all get out. I have a scoped 35 Remington 14" bull Contender that'll shoot inside a quarter at 75 yds with no trouble even on a bad day. Now maybe thick brush and Boars might not give to much rise for a single shot. i might thnk of straping one the 629 in those conditions---;) --JMJ--
  4. teacherboy

teacherboy New Member

Go with a 44mag. More power, ammo available everywhere, and a good selection of guns to shoot it out of. The 500 is WAY out of control and the 460 is really good but you can take deer to at least 100 yards with a 44mag. I understand your thoughts on wanting a 500 or 460 but you really don't need either. The 44 has an outstanding track record on game killed. S+W, Ruger, Taurus, and Colt all come to mind for 44's. Just my my 2 cents.
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Ruger Super Red Hawk with a Nine and one half inch barrel. it now has a Burris 4 power with an adjustable objective scope sitting on it. Can go wrong!!

Attached Files:

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I second the single shot Contender. You can get any caliber (almost) from 22 rimfire to 30-30 or even 35 Remington. Plus you get accuracy only S&W/Colt/Ruger owners dream about. Pistol not enough? Then install a rifle stock and rifle barrel in a large choice of calibers including 30-30.

Was it Teddy Roosevelt that said to never take a stick to a gunfight, or something like that. I am sure shot placement is important but clean kills are too.

LDBennett
  7. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Potential Newspaper Report........

Anchorage Alaska......

Mr. Bennet's 1st & only shot did not fatally wound the charging grizzly........:eek:

fornately his guide dropped the huge beast with multiple shots from his .44 Magnum.........:D
  8. Bill

Bill New Member

Just gotta add my 2 cents worth. The Super RedHawk 44 Mag would be my pistol of choice for 75 yd Deer Hunting. I have mine equipped with a Millet Reddot and I love it. The 44 mag is so versitile with different loading.
    Bill
  9. sctman800

sctman800 New Member

Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull comes with 1" rings and you have the option of shooting 45Colt. If you handload you have wild to mild and anything in between. Jim.