The Firearms Forum banner

Hunting Pistol????

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  sctman800 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a hunting pistol. I am wanting a 500 or 460. But I don't have that much spare $$$ yet. What do you all think would be a good accurate pistol that will drop deer out to 75yrds?

Thanks

Ray

#3 · (Edited)
ryan,

for the last 18 years I have been harvesting Texas whitetails, Muley's and even a large spotted Fallow Deer with a Stainless Ruger Redhawk in .41mag. It has a 7.5" barrel and I have a 2X Leupold Handgun Scope on it. I only take broadside heart/limg shots and have made one cleanly out to 118 yards on one of the Mule Deer. He ran about 25 yards and dropped dead in his tracks. As stated earlier "shot placement is critical for ethical handgun hunting".

Good luck and practice, practice and then practice some more!!!

tex

#4 ·
What Tony Stark says is true. If you can't get the shot placement, cambering matters not. For whitetail out to 75 yrds, you have no need to go with the super cannons. The standard .41 mag, .44 mag and .45 Colt will do the job just fine. These three will laso be available in more affordable platforms and with more affordable ammo. These three will also be more shootable due to the lesser amounts of recoil which in turn will likely allow more practice and make the practice sessions a bit easier on you (and the wallet). Remember, these cartridges have been quite capable as hunting cartridges for quite some time. The game animals haven't gotten tougher so these new super crtrdiges aren't really neccessary. It's many times the hunter thinking he needs these super cannons either to compensate for lack of confidence in thier shooting (poor shot placement) or somply not really knowing the capabilities of the other available cartridges.
As for the actual handgun...Again, I'd stick to one of the three cartridges I mentioned and look at one of the Ruger single actions in those chamberings. If you're looking at adding a scope, the Super Blackhawk Hunter models come with rings are designed for scope useage. While not a cataloged model, these were made in .41 and .45 Colt in limted numbers. The .41 magnum version Hunter is still easily found. the .45 Colt Hunter, not so common as far fewer were made. each was also made in the Bisley configuration. This design many favor for it's better handling of recoil. It also has a lower hammer design which with a scope is a good thing.
If you're not to use a scope, any of the Ruger SA's would be a great choice and are all quite affordable and considered one of the strongest models on the market. The longer bbls models will make shots aier having the longer siht radius. The .44 mag SBH is available with a 10" bbl while the others are at most available with a 7 1/2" bbl. Blued or stainless is up to you.
Happy hunting!:)

#5 ·
The pistol will also be used on hogs but I don't think that there will be a problem with a 45LC on them. That is why I am thinking about the 460. I have shot 2 different 500. One with a 4" and other with the 8 3/8". I like them as well. I know shot placement is the key. I have shot bowling pins at 75yrds with the 500 and no scope. But I want a scope for hunting. What platforms will take a scope in 45LC. My dad has a ruger vaquaro (sp) But it will have to be drilled and tapped. I would like to keep it orignal though. Let me know what different ones to look at. I will need atleast 7" barrel due to hunting laws.

Thanks

Ray

#6 ·
What platforms will take a scope in 45LC. My dad has a ruger vaquaro (sp) But it will have to be drilled and tapped. I would like to keep it orignal though. Let me know what different ones to look at. I will need atleast 7" barrel due to hunting laws.

Thanks

Ray
Like I mentioned befoe, look at the Ruger "Hunter" models. They come pre-equipped with rings and mounting provisions.

#9 ·
I lucked into this one for $ 250.00 just because the owner did not know what he had .

It was a factory S&W mod. 657 in .41 mag that was re-chambered to 41 GNR , the guy thought it had a bad cylinder because when he tried to shoot factory 41s in it they would split the casesfrom top to rim .

With a set of the proper dies and the right ammo i now have a gun that will take anything in north america .

#10 ·
If it is 7+ you must have to have to meet state handgun hunting laws, look at SBH Hunter or the Redhawk. Here's the one I spoke of in .41mag. It comes with integral scope ring mounting slots and even the rings are included. I like the fact that the scope is mounted forward the frame to take some of the recoil out of the hot loads.

G
#13 ·
I've not done a lot of hunting with a handgun, only feral pigs quite a few years back when I was young and foolish and didn't believe for a second ol' Mr. Boar could get me before I got him. :D For those I used a Smith Mod 29 6 inch in .44 mag. It never failed me.

#14 ·
I too have hunted with my S&W Model 629, .44 Magnum, an early model with 6" barrel, and feel comfortable with it in a hunting envivonment. With the older large square butt, it is great to hold steady and makes a fine weapon!!

As you know, this is the stainless version of the Model 29 Pistol was talking about.

#15 ·
I've shot my buddy's Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag, and it's a very good gun for the $$. Myself, I use my Colt Anaconda custom in 6" with a scope. It'll shoot just under 2" groups @ 100 yards. I've taken two deer with it here in Michigan over the years - both were (1) shot kills. IMHO A .41 or .44 mag will take any game under 500 lbs with proper shot placement...

Attachments

#17 ·
#18 ·
:eek: WOW!! under Hunting Pistols and no one mentioned the TC /Contender or G2 . They gotta rate right near the top for hunting pistols. All are accurate as all get out. I have a scoped 35 Remington 14" bull Contender that'll shoot inside a quarter at 75 yds with no trouble even on a bad day. Now maybe thick brush and Boars might not give to much rise for a single shot. i might thnk of straping one the 629 in those conditions---;) --JMJ--

#19 ·
Go with a 44mag. More power, ammo available everywhere, and a good selection of guns to shoot it out of. The 500 is WAY out of control and the 460 is really good but you can take deer to at least 100 yards with a 44mag. I understand your thoughts on wanting a 500 or 460 but you really don't need either. The 44 has an outstanding track record on game killed. S+W, Ruger, Taurus, and Colt all come to mind for 44's. Just my my 2 cents.

#21 ·
I second the single shot Contender. You can get any caliber (almost) from 22 rimfire to 30-30 or even 35 Remington. Plus you get accuracy only S&W/Colt/Ruger owners dream about. Pistol not enough? Then install a rifle stock and rifle barrel in a large choice of calibers including 30-30.

Was it Teddy Roosevelt that said to never take a stick to a gunfight, or something like that. I am sure shot placement is important but clean kills are too.

LDBennett

#22 ·
I second the single shot Contender. LDBennett
Potential Newspaper Report........

Anchorage Alaska......

Mr. Bennet's 1st & only shot did not fatally wound the charging grizzly........:eek:

fornately his guide dropped the huge beast with multiple shots from his .44 Magnum.........:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.