The Firearms Forum banner

Hunting Riflescope Reticles whats your preference and why ?

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  whip 
#1 ·
i'm looking at scopes again and the range of reticles is great but whats best in your mind and why for HUNTING

I'm getting partial to the Precision Plex 2 style in the pic below ( it has different names from different makers i'm pretty sure its called something else in the bushnell's ) because i can adjust fast with some practice and be pretty sure of my aim , on my .223 its zero'd at 300 and 2 lines down is 400 ( or that close i aint worried )

See less See more
#8 ·
It all depends on your type of hunting. Since I mostly shoot at moose, caribou, bear close to twilight, and wolves & bear off snowmachine on the river; I like illuminated reticles. For quick shooting, I mean pull up bang, I like the acog's horseshoe/red dot. At 100 yards, horseshoe is like 8 inches and dot a couple inches. At 500 yards the horseshoe is like 8 foot or more, but you can still hit game, eventually after a shot or two or three, ha ha.

Sometimes when I hunt up on our summit, long shots, I like fine crosshairs, illumination not important and myself, I don't find the BDC lines that effective or at least I don't use them. I have several BDC scopes and would never buy another over say turrets. Just my preference I guess.

My daughter shot a bear out of our stand couple nights back. She was using 6.8 stag with horseshoe acog. First shot she hit bear and it exploded out of there. She actually hit it second shot just aiming horseshoe on running bear. Bear hit a tree 75 feet away and collapsed, my girl hit it both times. She even later mentioned how easy it was to target the bear which was moving out with horseshoe acog; never happened with regular crosshairs.

Funny thing is, we've shot quite a few bears over the years and most of them have run at least 25 feet, always away from us. I'd hate to have one running at me cause they seem to have that last bit of power in them to go 50 foot no matter how many holes in them.

You're going to have a bunch of different scopes any way you look at it eventually. I usually buy the newer recently introduced reticles and come onto the old standbys on used guns that I purchase. I have an old burris scope I really like too.

#10 ·
I just took this pic thru my Savages Nikon Buckmaster with BDC. The stopsign at the top of the street is 335 yds from my front porch and the side focus is set for 300 yds and zoom set at 14X. the crosshair at the top is dead nutz at 100 yds. the top O is dead nutz at 200, the next one down is spot on at 300, the one after that is 1 inch low at 400 and the last one is 1.5 low at 500 yds. OR as you say Jack, close enough it dont matter for hunting purposes.. I love the NIKON BDC Reticle. I use this one on my .308

Attachments

#14 ·
That's great. Is it possible to record the video of the target?
Yes. I have done it a couple times shooting the .22s and recording with my cellphone. Its tricky, you have to hold your tongue just right, but it is doable.

#17 · (Edited)
holy smokes. :eek:
it aint that bad , wait till ya see what i get up to with it though

R/C hunting !!!!

plus with the rangefinder i can finally stop all the folks who say " twern't that far" and have it all logged on video

range , time, date and the video of the shot ..

and i'll be able to help some of the less able hunters ( they aint disabled just a bit less able) get some decent hunting in

we can mount this to their chair and they wont have to hunch behind the rifle to see the shot , they can aim via the larger screen with accuracy

i've two lady wheelie hunters who next year should be able to bag a deer each if i get it set up right for em

not cheap , but for what it will allow i think its a bargain

yes there are cheaper ones but they all output RF and can interfere with chair electronics , pacemakers , mobile phones, electronic monitoring braclets etc etc etc , this one is shielded both ways ( in and out) and why its double + the price of the bushnell

balance that all out and it'll pay for itself the first time a Quad friend drops his first deer , just the look on his face will be worth every cents i'll wager and then the lady wheelies will be all bonus ..

#20 ·
it aint that bad , wait till ya see what i get up to with it though

R/C hunting !!!!

plus with the rangefinder i can finally stop all the folks who say " twern't that far" and have it all logged on video

range , time, date and the video of the shot ..

and i'll be able to help some of the less able hunters ( they aint disabled just a bit less able) get some decent hunting in

we can mount this to their chair and they wont have to hunch behind the rifle to see the shot , they can aim via the larger screen with accuracy

i've two lady wheelie hunters who next year should be able to bag a deer each if i get it set up right for em

not cheap , but for what it will allow i think its a bargain

yes there are cheaper ones but they all output RF and can interfere with chair electronics , pacemakers , mobile phones, electronic monitoring braclets etc etc etc , this one is shielded both ways ( in and out) and why its double + the price of the bushnell

balance that all out and it'll pay for itself the first time a Quad friend drops his first deer , just the look on his face will be worth every cents i'll wager and then the lady wheelies will be all bonus ..
Good man Jack. I retract my Holy smokes statement and insert a pat on the back. The world is pathetically short of folks of your caliber.

I tell ya what.. Id trade every Jihadist scumbag in the universe for just a Dozen more Jacks.. And id even toss in a fresh crispy bacon sammage to the buyer..;)

#21 ·
simple fact JLA it would not be happening at all if it was not for the GFC the US dollar falling the Aussy dollar rising , last year this would have cost me $3000 AUD now its $1200 AUD , i've spent more on 2 leopolds i have here ( 1299 and 1400 respectively )

and now i'm getting involved with the wheelie shooters theres a lot more that can be done with this than just what i want it for , so what the heck .

#22 ·
Still a fine gesture regardless fo the many bases it covers.. If ever I find myself in OZ, drinks are on me..

#23 ·
Since Ive "found the power and niceness" of the mil-dot recticle, I havent looked back! Ive scoped just about all my rifles with Mil-Dot scope, even the .22lr's.
Even up close and personal, you might not need them and wont use them much, but they are always there!

#25 ·
I tend to use the standard Leupold plex with the single aim point. Recently I bought the VXIII with the CDS system. When you have time to range and adjust your scope its right on for elevation. I own two scopes with Mil dots and like them for shooting Prairie Dogs at long range. My son has the PrecisionPlex 2 on a 338 RUM and loves it. I perfer a single aim point if Im shooting moving game. My eye seems drawn to the single cross hair more easily than multiple cross hairs. Just my thing because my son loves the multiple options of the PercisionPlex 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.