Hunting Scope AR-15 Colt A2

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Zhurh, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

In Alaska, we hunt with mini-14s & ARs off snowmachines, works well with team slings in open country or on river.

I've picked up a couple stagg 15s for my kids down the road and hoping my nephew (in military) can find me an something lying around. Boy I sure had access to all kinds of good stuff in early 70s when in Army myself. So now I want to put a scope on my Colt A2 that I bought for $440 in mid 80's (say it ain't so). I saw the Mark AR Leupolds in Cabelas; thought that might be a good one for hunting applications.

What scopes do you all use for hunting with colt pre-bans? What is best mount? I kinda don't want to spend 800 bucks for an AR scope that will be on snowmachine more than not, getting banged around. That Leupold is like $340 I believe.
  2. verminater71

verminater71 New Member

I use my ARs mostly for hunting...I put a 2-7X33 Redfeild on one last coyote season...and absolutley love it...the glass is better than my more expensive optics
    2X you can see everything and 7X is plenty powerfull
    this scope has been strapped to my ATV handlebars...thrown in the back of the truck
    and don't loose zero
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Thanks, The Leupold is 1.5 to 4 X20. they also have 3 to 9 X 40. My preban, the handle doesn't come off like the Staggs. I wonder if a small scope is too high for that colt 15?

I'm looking at this 900 dollar Leupold, looking for awhile I do believe. Some say it's nicer than ACOG.It is a CQT tactical , anybody ever see one, use one?