Hunting the SLURTOTH in Aiken County, South Carolina

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theangrywhale, Jun 27, 2012.

1. theangrywhale

theangrywhale New Member

Hey guys

I'm a photojournalist in Columbia SC and I'd never fired a gun until this past weekend. On my 33rd birthday my friends took me out to fire some Russian Assault rifles out in the sticks of South Carolina. Here's a link to my photoblog about the day: Columbia SC photojournalist Sean Rayford - Hunting the Slurtoth

I hope some of you guys find it entertaining.

Thanks,
    Sean
  2. armoredman

armoredman New Member

Welcome, hope you go shooting more often with some good stuff! Be happy to let you shoot mine, but AZ is a bit of a hike. :)
    I have to say that wasn't the SAFEST range I've ever seen, and the shirtless gent doing the Somali Militia pose just shows how to waste ammo. :) I'm sure he had fun.
    Couple of really minor points, just for clarity's sake - the M-44 was introduced later in WWII to give Soviet troops a shorter rifle to do house to house combat with, as the Mosin Nagant 91/30 with bayonet attached was a bit long.
    The WASR-10 is not as assault rifle - by definition an assault rifle is select fire, i.e., can be fired fully automatic, and all WASRs are semi-auto clones of the Romanian AKM. Sounds goofy, but trust me, it really is a very important distinction, especially when fooling around with National Firearms Act of 1934 items like full auto - if you don't have all you expensive and pain in the rear end to get paperwork right, BATFE introduces you to Club Fed, really bad hotel. The real assault rifle you were shooting was the M-44, as it's not a re manufactured neutered semi-auto clone, but the genuine article that has been there, done that. I've had a few, fun rifles - try an M-44 or M-38 with Czech Silvertip surplus ammo at dusk - the fireball is incredible. Make sure of fire restrictions first.
    I have to confess, I have never heard of a slurtoth, that's a new one, from a locla "zombie" club?
    What was on that giraffes, neck, a fungal infection? Hope the owner get's that taken care of. Were you shooting right next to the animal pens?
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  3. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

please dont use the term assault rifle. it hurts my ears:eek::D
    do you know you can assault someone with a fork or a stick:eek::D
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice shots looked like u had fun