Hunting w/GPS

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by liberty1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. liberty1

liberty1 New Member

Does anyone hunt with GPS? I'm looking to start a hardcore discussion about integrating the technology into hunting.
  2. younggunslearner

younggunslearner New Member

I hunt with a GPS, I have a Garmin Rino 520 with the Radio Built into it and my dad and I love them.
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I carry a compass.
    hunt as low tech.
    as possible.
    it's a lot funner:D
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I carry both a compass and a GPS when hunting on public lands, or unfamiliar territory. At home I use neither, it's only 100yds to my stand, and feeder!
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I use one some, but I'm not real good at using it so I don't use it as much as I want to. I have the topo software on it and I am trying to figure out how to use it to scout new spots. I need to get more tips on stuff like that. Anybody know anything about it?
  6. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i dont even own a gps system. i only take a compass... and a topo map if im in unfamiliar territory. growing up in boy scouts (earning my Eagle) and then being in the military, Land Nav is not a skill im short on.:cool:
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have a Garmin 60CSx and I really like it. I have the topo maps for it too. I usually use it to navigate around on the backroads and for insurance in case I forget how to get back to my rig. I like being able to mark waypoints for sign I may find while in the woods. I love maps too so I will often spend a lot of time looking at maps to figure out routes or good places to hunt.
  8. questor

questor New Member

If hunting in the western states or the big woods of Northern Maine, I never leave home without my etrex Vista (old but works great), compass and topo map. I still hunt (age-old technique of walking very slowly and quietly through the bush, never could sit still) with the gps on (recording every step) and appended to my ruck with velcro. When I come upon scrapings, rubs, trails, droppings, I set a waypoint with proper label. In the evening from my camp site, I print out the days hunt and chat with my hunting partner. Yes I carry a notebook with Canon i80 Color Bubble Jet Printer, of course you need extra batteries.

Upon returning home, I upload to my PC and save for the next time I am in that area. Therefore I have all routes, tracks and waypoints saved and ready for reloading the next time I return to that area.

If you want detailed info, beyond the scope of this thread, send private msg and we can communicate via phone.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have hunted with a GPS and compass for years.

My newest hand-held GPS is a Magellan unit that is a fine piece of equipment.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I was out in Colorado several years ago and I got turned around in some thick stuff in big country and pulled out the GPS and it pointed the way back to the truck. I was glad I had it. I used to go with a compass and have had some adventures due to lack of attention on my part so when they came out I got one. The main thing is to know how to use it before you take it out.
  11. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

I have one of the least expensive units, the garmin etrex. no maps just basic position information. mark the spot where you leave your vehicle and it creates a track for you. when its time to start heading back to the jeep, it will tell you right where to go. has allthe extra goodies like altitude, course, compass, trip time, speed etc. i take a topo map with me and can get my lat and long off it and if i want to move to a particular place i can do the land navigation that way. very handy and cheap.
  12. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I have an older Garmin Vista and I use it when hunting in a new area or when we park some where new. When we Elk hunt in Colorado we move constantly and we cover a lot of ground so have the parking area in the GPS as a waypoint makes getting back quicker and easier.

I hunted in Arkansas where I live for Deer 4 years with a friend and buddy of his from Texas. We agreed to me at the truck at 1:00 PM and the guy from Texas got lost and we waited around for and extra hour and a half before he finally heard our shots and got a location in his head came back. He was a ball of sweat as he had been humping hard for a while. I showed him the Garmin and told him to get one he wouldn't regret it.

We always carry walkie talkies in case someone gets hurt or has game down and we all carry a GPS when hunting.
  13. questor

questor New Member

My hunting partner who is in his late 70's finally retired his top of line Garmin for the etrex. He is just toooooooooooo friggin old to learn and it was just getting him LBS (loss bigger than ****). In the morning he sets (of course with my assistance) a waypoint for the 4x4 and then turns it off. When it is time to come home, he powers it back on and then retrieves the instructions I typed/laminated, enters the procedure to return to the 4x4.

As my wife, technology is just something they don't want to understand or for that matter try to understand.

When I 1st purchased a GPS for the vehicle and entered a destination after about an hour, he said "how does that girl know where we are going!" LOL
  14. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

Ummmh, the fact that he is still hunting at that age says a lot......more power to him.....
  15. questor

questor New Member

Amen, he is a trooper and still humps the big woods of Northern Maine. He has been hunting in Eagle Lake, Maine since 1961, hopefully he will make it to 2011. Imagine 50 years of hunting, WOW pray to god I can hunt in my late 70's.