Hunting wild hogs

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by howlnmad, Sep 15, 2011.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Anyone out there that hunts hogs have any favorite baits that you use? I shot my first and only one last year and I'm hooked on the hogs as much as deer.
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I'm an avid hog hunter. I use dogs to find em!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Get a pen cuz this texas redneck concoction works.

2 five gallon buckets
    1 40# sack of deer corn
    2 liters of Big Red
    1 large bag off cheetos puffs

Split the sack of corn between the 2 buckets evenly...
    Crush the bag of cheetos up into powder and divide it evenly between the buckets...
    Pour 1 liter each of the big red into the buckets over the cheetos/corn...
    Let it sit for a day or 2 covered...

Take to hunting spot and pour out one bucket anywhere near hog signs (tracks, scrapes, roots, etc.) usually find these spots near a water source. And then take the other bucket and pour it out where you want to shoot one at.

Keep this up for a month or 2 doing it once or twice a week. this will establish a routine the hogs will get used to. Then the day you plan to hunt them go out and bait the areas but only take 1 bucket and put about 1/4 of it at the 1st spot and the other 3/4 at the hunting spot. this will draw them in quickly and youll have many hogs to choose from to shoot at. Pick the biggest sow in the pack for good eatn..

Good luck, I have used this stuff. its a little work but its foolproof. Kinda like chumming the fishin hole..
  4. Chinook

Chinook New Member

I would love to get into hog huntin. There are smaller populations in the southern part of Oregon, but nothin like you guys have in the southern US. Ive shot a couple with friends, and I was amazed at the taste of the pigs. Seriously, not gamey, not earthy or muddy tasting/smellin, not weird in any way! It was the best pork I'd ever consumed!

This native Texan guy I know, originally from Brownsville I think, hunted them with dogs, and a knife! Pretty intense, but its how a lot of folks in his family have done it for years. I dunno if you'd find me weilding a bowie knife and playing the "staring" game with a wizzed off hog! But you never know! Hahaha!

The recipe sounds like a good one dude! I bet the Black Bears would try their damdest to suck every droplet of said feed from the ground! The Cheeto's would get them goin! Im gonna try this one next summer. I am going with an outfitter for a pig hunt. Cant wait!
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

His name isnt Kevin Lawhon is it??
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have never baited them, but they did eat all the food we brought with us on a camping trip. We made the mistake of leaving all the food in the tent, so we not only had nothing to eat, except 1 squirrel, we had no place to sleep! We always just went down to the river and shot what we wanted, when we wanted to. Take JLA's advice, don't be shooting them old boars, they are just as tough to eat as they are to catch!
  7. savage170

savage170 Member

, add one and a half quarts of diesel fuel to five gallons of corn. There is no need to soak the mixture. Just spread it around your bait pile and wait. they also love strawberry gelatin in the mix.

I have also brought hogs in just with rags soaked in diesel they love to roll in it maybe they use it as a bug repellant but it works
  8. ctswamphunter

ctswamphunter New Member

Never did it but wouldn't mind trying it.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips guys. They've changed the hog hunting rules quite a bit here but the area I hunt has stayed the same.
    I've heard of using diesel fuel and old railroad ties. Something about getting the ticks and lice off of them.
    Guess I'm gonna hafta go get some buckets and munchies. Oh, what is Big Red, is it a soft drink?
  10. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have never needed to make any special bait for them. They seem to like my plain old deer corn just fine. In fact, I can't keep them away from it most of the time.
  11. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I just turn the dogs loose and the hog stops and waits for me to get there! :D
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

You can put deer corn in a 5 gallon bucket, cover it with water and let it spoil. Then pour it out in your pasture in a line going away from your stand. Then, if they line up mostly on one side or the other, you can kill 2 or 3 at once. I had a buddy kill 4 or 5 with a 7MM about 50 yards away. :D
  13. TANGLEFOOT

TANGLEFOOT New Member

PLANT YOU A PEANUT PATCH
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I got plotts but the country here in Ak Interior is so rugged & thick & lacking any roads that you can't hunt with dogs and I miss coon huntin with dogs like I did back east. Around here, a bear can go 7-8 miles, lynx the snow is 5-6 feet deep, sure wish we had hogs up here to help feed the wolves.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

get a bag of rotten potatoes and some rock salt throw water on dirt and make mud , put rotten taters in and about mud , sprinkle with salt ,move to where you have good sight on the area and wait ..
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Big red is soda yes. Quite good soda too I might add..
  17. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Well if there are going to be any firefighters in the hunting party you better mix it up before you leave. If you don't the Cheetos and Big Red will be all gone and you will have nothing left but the corn.

Several years back five of us all firefighters left Columbus Ohio headed for Toledo Bend Lake on the TX/LA border. We were in one of the fellow's motor home all stocked with enough snack food for the trip. Well not exactly, we had to stop in Cincinnati to restock:eek:
  18. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I like to soak the deer corn until it sours. The smell brings them in, they love it.
  19. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I like to soak the deer corn until it sours. The smell brings them in, they love it. And if you got some left over just add sugar and fire up the still for a good drink. It's better than Big Red soda.
  20. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

An old hog trapper showed me the simplest trick and it has worked for me on various occasions. It's quick and simple.

Get 10 pounds of corn and pour where you want to shoot and sprinkle raspberry jello powder on top, just one box / 10 pounds of corn. The cheap stuff has worked for me just as well as the name brand. Hogs aren't too picky around here.

Let us know what you try and how it works for you.