Hunting wild hogs

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by howlnmad, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Big red is soda yes. Quite good soda too I might add..
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Well if there are going to be any firefighters in the hunting party you better mix it up before you leave. If you don't the Cheetos and Big Red will be all gone and you will have nothing left but the corn.

Several years back five of us all firefighters left Columbus Ohio headed for Toledo Bend Lake on the TX/LA border. We were in one of the fellow's motor home all stocked with enough snack food for the trip. Well not exactly, we had to stop in Cincinnati to restock:eek:
  3. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I like to soak the deer corn until it sours. The smell brings them in, they love it.
  4. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

I like to soak the deer corn until it sours. The smell brings them in, they love it. And if you got some left over just add sugar and fire up the still for a good drink. It's better than Big Red soda.
  5. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

An old hog trapper showed me the simplest trick and it has worked for me on various occasions. It's quick and simple.

Get 10 pounds of corn and pour where you want to shoot and sprinkle raspberry jello powder on top, just one box / 10 pounds of corn. The cheap stuff has worked for me just as well as the name brand. Hogs aren't too picky around here.

Let us know what you try and how it works for you.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I've put out several batches of the recipe that JLA shared. Something been eatin at it so I'm hoping for a good hunt next month.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I do wish we had a few hogs around here. No rabbits, or quail either.
  8. Cowboy6373

Cowboy6373 New Member

Heading down to Georgia tomorrow for a week of quail and hog hunting! Man I'm excited, wish me luck!! I'll post after next week when I get back with hog pics and stories.
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I cant bait the pigs for the bear right now.... They need to start hibernating(or the Southern version of it anyway) and leave my corn alone so I can get some pork!

I tried the corn and strawberry soda in a gatorade jug and the bears tore it down the same day. I didnt add the other stuff. I just hung it up planning on the corn souring in the soda and putting off some fumes. I dont know that the bears gave it that chance.....
  10. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Fixed that for ya carver! I really want to kill some more hogs. I have a buddy that brined the hams and smoked them with hickory & apple wood and it was the best ham I've ever had.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Thank you Steve!
  12. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Traps and dogs