hunting with a mosin nagant

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, Oct 21, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I am thinking about getting a mosin nagant using it to hunt deer. How would it be compare to a 30-06
  2. ghrit

ghrit New Member

In very rough terms, 7.62X54R are equal in snortiness to a 30-06. So far as hunting goes, you'll do well to find one that is not too worn in the barrel, especially the muzzle. Both of mine (Russian builds, late WWII) are minute of deer's breadbasket if under (say) 100 yards with 182 grain Bulgarian milsurp. One of them has had the rifling at the muzzle counterbored, as it was too worn to control bullet yawing. If you can find a Finn, go that route, they are (typically) better built and were far better cared for (and incidently, pricier.) Note also that the ladder sights are going to shoot high, they are battle zero at (I think) 200 meters. (At least both of mine act like that.)

Gotta say, the Russian are a mite kicky, more so than any 30-06 I've had the privilege of firing. Much of that is due to stock design, I think.

Be aware that milsurp ammo is cheap for a reason, it is mostly corrosive.

For a lot of info, go to 7.62X54r.net, digest some of that, and good luck. The MNs are fun to mess with.
  3. gschnarr

gschnarr New Member

I have used the mosin nagant a number of times with great results. In by far most states, it is NOT legal to use surplus ammo for hunting. If you do not reload, there are a number of commercial hunting rounds for the mosin, use the one which shoots best in your rifle. Through the years, I or my sons have used 2 different 91-30's and 3 M44's.

As far as power, it is very similar to the 30-06.
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I can now hunt with mine and wopuld be happy to. it finally is shooting straight after some work i put into it. New trigger and also had it drilled and tapped for a scope. I reload hornady bullets for it .312