1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hunting with your C&R rifles?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 2:21:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hunting with your C&R rifles?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does everyone suffer persecution for hunting with a c

Edited by: Chief 101 at: 7/8/01 3:25:00 pm

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/8/01 2:44:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hunting with your C&R rifles?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OOPS, the dreaded PC "Accidental Discharge," followed by a "double."

Need to get that IBM sear checked, Chief!

I can't hunt Deer with a rifle here in IN, yet, even though it gets brought up every year, and gets voted down, I think they will allow it someday in the southern counties where I live.

When they do, I plan on using a Mosin Nagant, probably an M44 since I'm partial to carbines, and probably stock. They are accurate as heck, SP ammo is available, and the iron sights can be set at 100m not like most other milsurps.

Nobody out here complains about what you use, as long as it's legal, and to tell you the truth they might even encourage it, kinda the historical, retro thing if they were OLD military.

I get all kinds of "Oohs and Ahs" when they see my old '97 Riot when I check in a deer during shotgun, or when they see my flintlock during ML, and HOPE to hear them if I ever get to check in a deer with my old recurve during archery.

I imagine at least here they would get a kick if they saw me check one in with an M44, especially with that bayonet on there....
    Patina is a custom finish that must be EARNED to be appreciated.

TallTLynn
    (7/8/01 4:26:04 pm)
    Chief101 - don't know what happened and I hope you don't mind but I deleted your other post that said the same thing as this one did.

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 4:48:11 pm)
    Thats ok Tlynn, although the one you deleted was the one with all the info on it..........lol

Steve

TallTLynn
    (7/8/01 4:53:59 pm)
    Actually Chief101 - the other post said the exact same thing as this one - I looked before I deleted.

Chief 101
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/8/01 5:33:59 pm)
    LOL...............well then, there was a third one and I musta did aways with meself...........hehehe

Not to bight today
    Steve

TallTLynn
    (7/8/01 5:42:08 pm)
    lol Chief, lol.

I know just how you feel.

T

Alphamale
    (7/8/01 5:42:20 pm)
    I sometimes hunt with an M/N. Use the Norma 150gr SP. Still has that long 28in(?) bbl on it too. Just turned down the bolt handle to clear the scope. Borrow it from my stepdad when I wanna be different. Havn't endured any ribbing, but that could be because I only hunt private land with my stepdad and his brother.

As a little side note to this, is there any ammo suitable for hunting that doesn't cost $30 a box?
    "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Bob In St Louis
    (7/8/01 7:23:47 pm)
    My normal deer hunting rifle here in Missouri is a Swedish Mauser Model 38 carbine, with the marine micrometer sites.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

polishshooter
    (7/8/01 7:36:55 pm)
    Alpha, Sellior&Bellot makes reloadable Soft Points for the 7.62x54R Nagant, it's like $8/20. It's from Czechoslovakia, but is good stuff I'm told. SOG sells it, as does about anyone else who sells S&B.

Winchester announced they were going to start producing it and the 9x18 this year, but I haven't seen any yet. Has anybody else?

How did you turn down the bolt? Most scope kits come with that handle that must be drilled and tapped and screwed on, I don't want to do that. Did a 'smith heat and bend it for you?

Just want to know for future reference...

If I ever mount a scope on one I still think I'm going to go Weaver side-mount, and leave the bolt stock...that way I can still use strippers if I have to reload REAL fast to get my limit...

Alphamale
    (7/8/01 7:51:02 pm)
    Thanx for the info on S&B, I'll give em a look.

I saw the Win was coming out, but as I understand it, it's gonna be FMJ white box.

He heated and bent it (also drilled and tapped for the scope mount). He bought the sporterizing (sp?) kit from Sportmans Guide, but didn't like the bolt handle that come with it.

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

polishshooter
    (7/8/01 9:01:46 pm)
    My wife's Grandpa from PA(the one I inherited the '97 from when he died,) hunted pretty exclusively with an almost stock Krag Carbine with a side-mount 4 power on a Weaver mount. I coulda had that instead of the '97, but I left it for one of my Brother-in-laws because I couldn't hunt with a rifle, and I wanted the '97 anyway, and we all could only pick one gun as per Grandma. I'm sure he sold it for a song, the bum.

I also knew of one old-timer near St. Mary's who hunted with a sporterized Type 38 carbine with a scope on it, called it his "Jap .25." Heard of a few more who used them, too.

Xracer
    (7/8/01 9:31:28 pm)
    Polish.....wish I had a $1.00 for every deer that was taken with "hacksaw sporterized" Krags and '03 Springfields!

SBLasher
    (7/9/01 3:13:56 am)
    Hey Polish,
    I'm gonna send the hungarian you sold me to FAT to be sporterized... tuned down bolt, scope mount and floated..but on the military stock w\o the bayo for like 100.00
    They make the best scout rifles available....
    Just for kicks...

Lash
    c:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\vintovkamax.art

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 7:37:07 am)
    Steve,

What's FAT? No puns please!

I need to do one someday, post a pic of it, or e-mail it to me when you are done.

Do they cut off the entire front sight/bayo lug or just take off the bayo? Some scouts I've seen leave the lug on, and it looks goofy. I'm wondering why if you kept it cool, you couldn't grind off the lug and save the front sight so you can keep the irons?

TallTLynn
    (7/9/01 7:45:53 am)
    I believe "FAT" is either a person or a small company that does sporterizing polishshooter - I've seen that name on more than one board.

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 8:39:51 am)
    Seeing T's collection reminded me. the .303 is popular in Canada, and we had that guy from New Zealand on GB last year who said EVERYBODY used it there, wonder how many deer have been killed here with it...

IceNineIceNine
    (7/9/01 8:55:33 pm)
    Hi Polishshooter,

FAT is Florida Ammo Traders and they sporterize M44's. They are at www.floridaammotraders.com/

The website isn't much to see. I think they moderate the Mosin Nagant forum over at AssaultWeb.

Edited by: IceNineIceNine at: 7/9/01 11:10:48 pm

polishshooter
    (7/10/01 9:06:36 am)
    Thanks Iceman, welcome to the boards.

I'll check them out.

Although I am currently thinking of picking up a 38 or a 91/59 and just keeping it stock...I may have missed the good cheap ones though...story of my life.

Are you into CRs too?

I guess what Chief was driving at is does anybody get any negative comments while hunting with one?

Has anybody? My guess is if you do, it's from somebody pretty ignorant about guns, ("ignorant" not meant as a slam, maybe should have said "uninformed.")

I actually comment positively whenever I see something out of the ordinary in the woods. When I hunted in PA, seeing pre-64 Model 70s in .270 or 06 was pretty passe, as was all the 94s in thuttythutty, or .32WS, when I saw a guy with a Springfield or Krag it was something to get excited about...

I used to borrow Grampas .300 Savage when I lived in PA. It was a sporterized, ex-military BA that Savage made in the 30s for some South American Country, supposedly the deal fell through because of a coup, Savage just rechambered, put it in a sporter stock and sold them commercially. It held six rounds, heavier than heck, and still had the stripper clip guides. My ex-bro-in-law still has it, I'd like to get it some day...

I like Browning on my Browning.

SBLasher
    (7/10/01 8:33:15 pm)
    Hey Polish,
    FAT does a neat job on 44 scout rifles any way you want them....with or w/o the bayo, turned down bolt, scope mount on rear sight assy...and even short barrel w/ FAL brake.
    Take a look on Assault Web's Moisin and Mauser section.
    They are very reasonablly priced....
    I have my eye on that chest pouch you have on AA. I got a nice trade for ya ?????
    E-mail me

Lash
    c:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\vintovkamax.art
  2. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

For good huntng ammo, I personally like Wolf Gold 180 spbt ammuniton in 7.62x54R. I have had a box of it for a few years and I think I remember it costing about 18 per box of 20. My dad dropped a beutiful 8 pointer with his m44 years before I was thought of, and he didn't mention anyone teasing about hunting with an antique. I really enjoy still hunting with my 91. It's toting the thing around that's not too much fun. I really couldn't imagine anyone saying anything negative about hunting with these kind of rifles, and if they did it would only be out of jealousy I suppose. My gun dealer tried to sell me a 7mm 08, which I see as a varmint round, when he did he was trashin the mosins. But that was in hopes of making a sale.