hunting woods vs fields

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, Dec 19, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have alway hunted in field and once in woods I just want to see what everybody hunts on here I all thought The bigger buck was in the woods But the reason I hunt in field is because I alway hunt late season
  2. Rneck

Rneck New Member

I enjoy hunting in the woods, especially hardwoods. If the deer are slow to arrive there is usually other wildlife to observe. But it always depends on the sign and when it was made
  3. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

I hunt public land and my primary set up is in the woods, usually around bedding areas and travel routes. When hunting is tough I set up on a field in the evening; but I can count on one hand the times I have shot a deer in a field the last 15 years.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I like hunting both, I have had equal success hunting both fields and woods. One of the places I hunt in GA covers both, I usually pop my stand up on a clearing right in the corner of a field, I place the stand up in the corner facing a game trail with a good field of fire on the field.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I hunt both depends on time of day, wind, and where I feel like hunting that day
  6. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Same for me!
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If you are hunting a high pressure area, the larger bucks will usually stay inside the treelines until dark. Remember that deer have to get to a field before they can appear in the field. If you can find their travel path, and you can get high enough to remain out of the scent zone, you might see some bucks that you have not seen before.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    100% correct. Down here in the south (in the pineywoods) we hunt the woods mostly. Some of us hunt high line clearings, and pipe lines. The latter, of course, being the long shots. I, personally, have never hunted where there would be long shots. I like the honey suckle thickets, and deep woods. The longest shot I have ever made on a deer was with a shot gun at around 65yds.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010