1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Husqvarna Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by eddyg, Jul 12, 2012.

1. eddyg

eddyg New Member

Greetings,

Hopefully, I have posted in the correct forum. If not, please accept my apology and move to appropriate forum.

I have a revolver that first belonged to my grandfather, then my father. It is chambered for .22, 6 shot, Double Action. It has an octagonal, 4 inch barrel. Matching serial numbers on barrel, ejector rod, cylinder, and frame. Grip is checkered wood (perhaps walnut).

Under the manufacturer's name (on frame) there is a 4 digit number (6404) and letters "PTB". On opposite side of frame is possibly the serial number: L No. 1976.

This was the first handgun I learned to shoot (age 8). The last time the pistol was fired was sometime in 1977. The firing pin is missing. It was attached to hammer.

I would like (1) additional information, or at least a couple of websites that would give information (I have made numerous searches) and (2) approximate value. I understand the difficulty in providing value because you do not have the handgun and cannot ascertain condition from only my post.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That appears to be the standard 7.5mm Model 1887 Swedish service revolver. They were made by Nagant in Belgium and by Husqvarna in Sweden. I can't find any indication that there was a .22 caliber version. The 1976 is an Army inventory number. The serial number is 6404, but the ejector rod housing is mismatched. The gun has been reblued.

Many thousands of those revolvers were declared surplus and imported into the U.S. in the late 1950's and early 1960's, the same time the Swedish 6.5mm rifles and carbines were brought in.

I would examine the revolver carefully to see if it might have been converted to .22 in this country, since the proper 7.5mm ammuntiion was very scarce.

Jim
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think you have a very scarce revolver. Husqvarna
    Arms Factory, Sweden, made a Nagant revolver {7.5MM ) in 1877 far the Swedish Army and produced them until 1905. My reference, Pistols of the World reads " There also have been reports of .22 rim-fire versions, but it is suspected that these were later conversions- perhaps for training- and not " factory original" end quote. I can find no other reference of these guns being made in .22 rim fire. So, is your revolver a factory original or a later conversion by Husqvarna,, regardless there seems to very few of them around. BTW the Nagant designed revolvers were made in many flavors for different countries, Because it is a Nagant design does not mean it is a Russian Nagant, that was a unique gas seal revolver made for the Russians. Your revolver does show the family Nagant lineage.
  4. eddyg

eddyg New Member

Thanks Jim.

It is .22 caliber. As far as the rebluing----I do not have any knowledge of that. I know it has not since 1961.
  5. eddyg

eddyg New Member

Thanks RJay. It is a rim-fire. As for the lineage, I believe this pistol was given as payment for a debt to my grandfather. The person that gave the pistol served in US Army in European Theater. After the firing pin broke, the pistol was packed in the bottom of the gun cabinet. My mother was cleaning, and gave me the pistol during my last visit. Any idea where I might get some confirmation on your information? Thanks.
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I don't know if the Swedish army had these revolvers made in 22 caliber, but I saw ads in 1950's vintage "American Rifleman" magazine for 22 caliber versions. Perhaps it was done at the same time the Swedish Browning 1903s were converted from 9mm Browning Long to 380 ACP.

Eddyg, your photographs make it look like this gun is plated with chrome or bright nickel. Is that actually the case?
  7. eddyg

eddyg New Member

Lanrezac, it appears to be Nickel. It has a gold hue in sunlight and it has some pitting. I will have to take to gunsmith to verify.
  8. eddyg

eddyg New Member

9. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I remember the American Rifleman adds with .22 Swedish Nagants being imported. But I have never examined one to see if it had a new .22 cylinder or a bushed 7.5 cylinder. It's most likely genuine Swedish military issue. However, the nickle finish is suspect and detracts from value.

If nothing else, I would get the firing pin repaired so it can be used for shooting.

My guess as to value (around here) is in the $100.00 to $200.00 range. If it had original finish and it could be varified that it was issued in .22 caliber then I would guess the price would be in the $500.00 to $600.00 range.
  10. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe the guns were factory converted as " Training guns", but the gun has been repaired a { that ejector rod is a modification { and at the present time it is inoperable { broken firing pin }}, I also believe the nickle finish is after market. So while it is a very scarce gun the value is minimal. I would have it repaired and keep it as a heirloom.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Looks like the 50's chrome fairy got ahold if it to me...that happened to alot of firearms back then...sad to say.
  12. eddyg

eddyg New Member

Thanks everyone. I am waiting for "the" (the one everyone says is the best) gunsmith to return from vacation. I will let you all know what he says.
  13. 8MILLSNIPER007

8MILLSNIPER007 New Member

I know this thread is old but I thought I would chime in as I too have the exact same Husky revolver and mine has also been converted to 22 rimfire. My grandfather gave me this revolver along with many other rifles and pistols he sent back home during his three tours in WWII. The Husky I have is in almost perfect condition and is used on a regular basis by my son at the gun range. I would really like to learn more about this revolver and would like to know its value as well! I am new to this site but I would be more than happy to post some photos of it if anyone responds to this post!
  14. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

8MILLSNIPER007, I think we exhausted our knowledge of these guns back in 2012 (especially since Jim K is not around any more). But we'd be happy to see one that the "chrome fairy" missed, and to hear how well it shoots.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!
  15. 8MILLSNIPER007

8MILLSNIPER007 New Member

It is actually a very accurate pistol, for a 22 lr it is amazingly loud. The report it makes will drown out most other small bore handguns I own! I can tell you that all the other revolver manufacturers should learn from Husky's trigger action as it is the smoothest action revolver that I have ever shot. I really wish it had been left in the og caliber even if it is hard to find, I have many rare rifles and pistols so producing my own ammo would not be an issue. I can tell you it is very picky on what type of ammo it likes. It will shoot any 22lr with excellent accuracy but most types I will end up with two to four rounds not discharging. I have found that Remington thunderbolts really cut down on the misfires to maybe one out of a dozen rounds. I have been working with the hammer trying to get it to be more reliable and it has come a long ways from what it was when I began. I have often wondered if there is a way to get the pistol back to it's og caliber but I have a feeling when the barrel was sleeved the lands were cut down. I would love to post some pics of it but I am having trouble figuring out how to do so!

Attached Files: