Hydrocoil shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 38 special, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

When I shot quite a bit of trap in my younger years I noticed some of the trap shooters were using the Hydrocoil shotgun. I cant remember if it was Rem. Or winchester shotgun. It was the neatest invention There was virtually 0 recoil from a 12 gage shotgun.
    I have always been looking for one for sale on a used gun rack but havent seen one in 20 years. Does anyone remember these shotguns and do you ever see one for sale?
  2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Never heard of it. Sounds like a gun with a shock asborber on it....
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I just googled it. Seems like winchester was the company.
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Winchester was indeed the company....

For a model 12 collector, a pigeon grade trap, with a white hydro coil stock is just about the "holy grail" of M12's. Some thing like less than 100 were produced, and I know of one that has the only hang tag correctly marked for the gun in existance.....Nope not mine, but I wish it were!:p Estimated value approaches $20,000, for a pigeon grade trap, in the box with papers and the hang tag.

They worked well for a while....the oil filled shock absorber would eventually wear out. There is a new one being made on the market today, if I remember correctly.;)

Best regards, Kirk

PS.. Winchester sold these stocks for installation on existing shotguns, actually quite a few too. So just because a shotgun has one, this does not mean it was originally sold that way. Not a collector either, if installed later.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  5. williamd

williamd New Member

I have had/shot a few M12 with the hydrocoil stock. Dad had a white one but traded it for a pickup. Damn! The pickup is now in some junk yard and that white hydrocoil stocked M12 keeps going up in value. To show what I thought of them, I now own none .... but that was a big mistake!!! Still have a couple of M12s with nice wood. Certainly prettier, but worth less ... now.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Actually there was a guy many years ago by the name of Ed Sauer or Sauers from as I recall Canoga Park CA. who made hydrocoil stocks. I believe he also made the ones for Winchester that 300 H&H writes of as well. I have a Pigeon Grade Browning skeet gun with a white hydrocoil stock and white forend. It came from the estate of Claude Purbaugh who was the world champion skeet shooter at several different times of his life. About 10 years ago I was shooting skeet with it and a real old man came up to me and asked "where in the hell did you get that gun?" Before I had a chance to answer he said "that is white lighting". I responded to him that he was correct to which he said he had shot against that gun on many occasion including once in Porto Rico. Of course he asked if he could shoot it and while he did not shoot a perfect score he shot it far better than I ever have including the fact that he insisted that I put the 410 Pubaugh tubes in it and I was shooting it as a 12 gauge.

At present my son has the gun and he lives 400 miles from me but I will get him to take some pictures and I will post them soon.

I might add that Ed built a real wood hydrocoil stock for Claude's model 12 as well. Claude in his early 50's at the time had several chest ribs removed from his left side due to a very rare cancer causing the integrity of his chest and both shoulders to be compromised. Doctors told him that recoil even to his right side could kill him. It was for that reason he built the very first tubes for over and under shotguns in about 1958 which launched Multi Gauge Enterprises which he ran up until very close to his death in 1989.

Ron
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Attached Files:

8. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Ron, thanks for the pictures and the real story behind these unique stocks. I wish I could say I have had the pleasure to have tried one.....They look like they probably worked out very well. Maybe some day.

Regards, Kirk