Hypothetical Non Voter Situation

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by 76Highboy, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My wife and I were talking today and the conversation of non-voters came about. Then I made a comment that if I had a relative living with me (renting or not) that if they did not vote (other then for reasons that are out of their control) they would have to leave. My wife does not agree and says that I am too harsh. I told her that IMO, a person that cannot take the time to exercise their moral and civil duty of voting is no better then a person that turns their back on their country.

My wife says no, a person that does not vote just has no say in the direction of the country and cannot complain, and I agree with that too. But, she says making someone leave because they won't vote is too harsh.

IMO, a person that does not vote cannot be counted on in a time of political crisis. So am I wrong? Am I too harsh? I feel that if a person does not vote that maybe they should go visit a country and see first hand what it is like not to have an opinion. I believe that some people take our freedom for granted and that kind of person would not be livable in my house under my roof.

I want to know, is my opinion on this subject too harsh.

Thanks,
    Jim
  2. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

No IMO I do not consider them "traitors" BUT I would cut off their govt welfare the first time they did not "Deliberately" vote and remove their citizenship after three times as a non voter. However not to worry in some jurisdictions (like Chicago) the dead vote and often.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jim, you are a man after my own heart. We do think alike on this matter. We have had this discussion here before about weather or not to cut ties with any people you know that voted for obama and many folks felt like that was something that should be done if you felt strongly enough about the issue. My take is this: its YOUR house and you decide what makes you comfortable or uncomfortable. This election means so much to so many people, it is beyond me how someone could just not be involved. So, its your choice. If you dont make them move, they should definitely know exactly how you feel. Keep us posted.
  4. 76Highboy

Dan, I hope it does not come to that but if they don't vote it's gonna take a lot to make me bite my tongue. I see it coming. But I don't care. He can take his money elsewhere cause I don't need it. So we will see, possibly by today. The wife and I should have our absentee voting ballots shortly so we can get our votes in.

Also, make it clear. An Obama voter cannot reside in my house either.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I figured that goes without saying. Also, sometimes women dont quite understand our firm positions.
  6. 76Highboy

Ya, I have to be reasonable because it is her son. But I always told my daughter that she was to vote. Good men did not die in this country for us to take our freedoms for granted. Now she's a proud voter,,, and a republican,,, and a hunter.
  7. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I agree 100%!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    How old is the boy?
  9. 76Highboy

Deleted.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  10. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Your house, your rules. I've got no problem with it. But I'm not your wife. :)
  11. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Your wife is wrong.:D As a husband myself, its not often we get to say this. However it is her son. That being said, I think you need to have a behind the woodshed discussion with him about the importance of voting. Just my ever so humble opinion.
  12. 76Highboy

All I can say is if he weren't her son, he'd be gone.
  13. carver

carver Moderator

That is why God made man the head of the woman. Man was made in the image, and likeness of God, woman was made from man, for man.
  14. 76Highboy

And then God made boots for kicking people out of your house. Trust me, I will win this.
  15. carver

carver Moderator

Just remember that it's not about winning, but about being right. As the head of house hold it is your right, no it's your duty, to make the rules. If the boy is old enough to be working, and earning his own way, then he obeys, or he walks! It can be hard, but sometimes it has to be done. My wife's son was told the rules by me, before he moved in with us, he agreed. When he broke the rules he had no job, and no money. So I made him pack his junk, and let him off at the shelter. Mama cried, and screamed, and hollered! Bottom line the boy got tired of the shelter in short order. Got a job, and got out. That was almost 15 years ago, and we haven't had any problems with him since. Today he owns 5, or 6, traliers in the park where he lives, and rent's them out.
  16. 76Highboy

I know what you are saying Carver. I know it is her son and she feels that it is his choice not to vote. She also says however, he just can't complain about how things are in our country because he is not a voter. We both agree on that. For me to kick him out, she would never forgive me for that. BUT!!! The next time he wants to be my buddy, I don't have to be. I just prefer to have friends that stand up for their country. The extended family agrees that he is still young and yes I guess that many people don't vote when they are younger but we are talking about someone that is under my roof. So, even though I am not backed in kicking him out I don't have to be his buddy. Which means, GET YOUR OWN TOOLS!!! HAVE YOUR BUDDIES FIX YOUR CAR!!! AND DON'T CRY TO ME BECAUSE YOUR NEW JOB IS GOING TO LET YOU GO CAUSE THEY CANNOT AFFORD TO KEEP YOU (which he really complained about several months ago).

Oh ya, and when the commies come to take our rights he can GET HIS OWN GUN.
  17. carver

carver Moderator

My wife will probably never forgive me for kicking her son out, but all three of us knew the rules. While she may never forgive me, she can see that what I did made him a better person, and got him off his butt, and on his feet. It's your call, it's your house! But she has got to turn him loose at some point, or he will never grow up!
  18. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are a whole bunch of folks that I hope won't be voting. I actually had some that lived with me in a former life. Perhaps, your expectations are too high for a large part of our population.
  19. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie New Member

I don't understand what the agrument is about. Why wouldn't he want to vote, it will effect him more than it may for the older one's here. Even if he votes for Dumbo, at lease he voted. In my house its my rules don't like the rules, find a new place to live. Its That Simple!
    Jim if your win or lose the battle at least you gave it a good fight.
    BTW How are you feeling one week after?
  20. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Voting for somebody is better than voting for nobody. You could always write in somebody you think could do better. I think it's kind of hypocritical not to vote. Lots of people laid down their lives so that we could exercise that right.