I always cut my fingers when I cut up my deer

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 38 special, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 38 special

38 special New Member

Every year I try to cut up my deer without cutting my fingers but it never works out that way. This year I cut my thumb to the bone with the meat saw.I'm hacking away and it slips off the bone so now I have this huge wrap on my thumb. Last year it was another finger I sliced with the fillet knife. I have got to slow down. But it takes almost a day to process the deer cutting all the suet off and getting perfect steaks and roasts. It's a lot of work. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

You need to really invest in those kevlar gloves. If nothing else they'll improve your grip.

Make sure you see a doctor about those cuts though, deer blood in a person isn't a good thing.
  3. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

It seems like every year ! This year I have dressed and deboned two nice bucks and happy to say only four nicks. Back in 1998 I was sking a deer leg with a very sharp Kershaw when my daugher ( twelve at the time ) came up behind me and grabed my shoulder to tell me its time to eat. I was so startled that I pulled the knife clear throught the hide and into my index finger. To make it short, I ended up in the ER with eleven stiches one expensive Deer.
  4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

38 if you keep having trouble just bring it to someone to process it for you. Believe me it will be cheaper in the long run.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I use to sell cookware and knives for years and 90% of the time when someone cuts themselves their knife is dull. just my 2 cents And another 2 cents i pay 60 bucks for my deer to get processed and i havent cut myself yet.
  6. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Sounds like you need to slow down,and watch a little closer to what you are doing.
  7. 38 special

38 special New Member

You're right ,there. It's just a matter of paying close attention to what I'm doing and not trying to go to fast. If I think about I think that is the problem. When I'm retired and dont have to go to work the next day Im sure Ill be a little more leisurely and relaxed when I go at it.
  8. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Zkovach is right - dull knives are hard to control and will slip more easily than a sharp knife. And having the right knives for the job is important. I know there's ol' geezers who can whittle down a big buck with a scout's pocket knife, but who'd want to?

I've come to the conclusion that one ought to have a good general purpose hunting knife suitable for pig-sticking, bunghole removal and blooding; one good skinning knife; one good boning knife; and one good slicing/quartering knife; plus a hatchet or saw for the pelvis and sternum.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Pretty much already summed up my thoughts. Hope your thumb heals up alright.
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Before I gut the animal I take a deep breath and out loud tell myself it's time to slow down. I then cut deliberately and can avoid cutting or even nicking myself. I have cut them up and keep my knives sharp and get really deliberate and talk to no one while I'm cutting.
  11. OBrien

OBrien New Member

If it makes you feel any better I know a guy who processes upto 3 moose a day from swinging sides to packed in a freezer after season and has been cutting meat his whole life. At least once a year he ends up with stitches. Even the pro's who have done it forever slip sooner or later.