I am going all the way

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Feb 12, 2006.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I am not going to stop at the 300 win mag nor the 30-06 I am going to get me a big boys rifle. (I know I will need more / another brain surgery but I want just one more big thumper)
    338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM or 375 H&H
    Blued steel and wood
    now ifing you have one that you want to get rid of let me know
    Ron
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. lead

lead Active Member

You call those "big boy guns"? What about a 416 Rigby, or a 458 Lott?
    Remember the old saying, "If it doesn't start with a "4", it's still small caliber."
  3. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

Come on now... Go with the 50bmg... You know you want to...

Ray
  4. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Quality not Quantity! A well placed .223 can do it all. :D :D :D
  5. Awww 358, go for the .460 Weatherby if you want a real "thumper." It only produces about 100 ft. lbs of recoil :D Come to think of it, I believe it is still possible to special order a .600 Nitro Express double rifle from Holland and Holland. I hear the tyrannasaurus season opens pretty soon in Florida. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I envy you. I would truly love to have a .375 H&H double rifle with traditional walnut stock and express sights. The guy on the forums to talk to about BIG rifles is stash247. I've had several e-mail conversations with him and he really is quite knowledgable.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

That sounds like a BIG gun to me.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I'm working on a friends 338 in a M77 Ruger. Its been neglected a bit, a bit of wear here and there, but not abused. Want me to see how much he might want for it? I was working on touching up the bluing on the barrell. Its got some kind of a scope on it, but I don't know the details. I'll take a better look this evening.

Its big!
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I would dearly love to have a BAR Safari in .338 Winchester Magnum with BOSS. Being left handed, it would be perfect being as one isn't made for south paws.
  9. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Sure as long as it has a wood stock and not one of the black boat paddles :)
    Ron
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

A 35 Whelen will handle anything on this continent.

Shot placement is what does the job, not horsepower.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I guess I'm kind of partial to the 45-70 in a modern steel rifle. Will bring down any game in North America! It also begins with a '4'. ;)
  12. ducky

ducky New Member

The 375H&H would be great fun if you get one. Right now, with planning for this Africa trip next year, I've decided on a Blaser R93 in .416 Remington Magnum, and in the synthetic safari model, it's actually quite cost friendly compared to others. I'm certain you could get one in .375H&H as well. My father's going hot dog, with something in .458 Lott, and with the .458 Lott you almost get 3 calibers for 1 gun. It will also take .458 Winchester loads also, and you can download the .458 Winchester to equal any .45-70 power load as far as I've read.

For all intents, my opinion is that .375H&H really is one of the most multi purpose cartridges out there, being able to take down small and large alike. Happy shopping.. :)